Tipping is not a place in China!

Bini

And if you know what movie that "line" comes from then you're super cool. :D

But that's not the topic of this thread. My questions are: do you tip and how much?

In more depth..

• Do you tip based on quality of service? Or do you tip regardless of service quality?
  • Do you just throw a couple bucks down? Or do you tip what's recommended (15%-20%)?
  • What establishments and/or services do you feel should or should not be tipped?

My dad is a bit old fashioned. He believes a tip should be given to show gratuity for great service. My husband on the other hand is a tipper and a good one, although there have been times he's been unimpressed or unhappy, and tipped just a few dollars. I haven't really ever had to tip since when I eat out it's with hubby and he pays. But I always tip my hairstylist and nail tech. I have a friend though that does not tip at all. She struggles financially to begin with and so I can see where leaving a tip may just be too much. I'm not judging.

I always tip my hair stylist.

I base a lot of how much and to whom I tip by the service. For an industry such as restaurants whose employees rely more on tips than on hourly wage, you would think more would be top notch service. At least that would be my thinking if I worked in that industry.

My DH and I always tip a minimum 15%. If the service was especially good then we'll tip 20%. One time we had an absolutely astounding waitress who gave us excellent service, but was being verbally harassed by the table across from us that she was also serving (the people were *really* rude! almost everyone in earshot looked aghast at the things they were saying to the waitress). We tipped 100% and would have spoken to her manager, but a man at another table got to him first, and told the manager about how well she'd handled the extremely difficult table, and also told HER how well she'd handled herself. She didn't snap back at them or get rude with them at all.

As far as when I do and do not tip, I only tip of I recieved real personal service, and when I know the person who served me will be reieving the tip, like restraunt or hair salon. (of course, I know some places pool the tips, and that irks me). I have never put a tip in a "tip jar".

I usually tip. In China it is rude to tip although some places have been westernized and will expect a tip - but not the places that cater to the locals.

Often I will tip low to communicate my disapproval of bad service, especially bad language. I tip according to the service. However, I am uncomfortable with VIP treatment. I also do not like seeing anyone being treated poorly. Often when someone is giving service to an obnoxious customer I will tip them (even if they are not serving me) perhaps a ten spot and say, "Thanks for handling that like a lady or gentleman". One time I was so upset I walked over and tipped the waitress while the customer was still screaming at them.

Even when tipping is not expected I try to be especially nice to anyone helping me or offering service. I guess this comes from experiencing many travel problems and being glad for any help. I like to get names and send thank you’s to their management.

However, one time I was so upset with a date long ago when I was single that I tipped her a nickel - though I was never sure if she understood why she was tipped - she did not seem to be much aware of anything that had occurred the entire evening.

The Traveler

I don't like the concept of tipping at all. I do it because it's a social etiquette, not because I want to.

There are several reasons I don't like it.

Firstly, whats with the defacto percentage based tip from the total cost of the meal? In 99% of cases, the service you get is the same from the same restaurant, whether you chose a £50 meal single meal or a £10 single meal. The waiter/waitress hasn't done anything more to provide you with the £50 meal, the food just simply costs more. Why then, should they get a £10 tip whereas in other cases the same service would only get them a £2 tip?

Secondly, a lot of employers cut down on employees wages with the expectation of tips (tips that aren't guaranteed).

Thirdly, the better looking waitresses oddly seem to provide far better service than the plain looking waitresses. Interesting correlation there.

I think tipping should be made illegal. People should only be allowed to pay what is on the bill, that's it.

I don't like the concept of tipping at all. I do it because it's a social etiquette, not because I want to.

There are several reasons I don't like it.

Firstly, whats with the defacto percentage based tip from the total cost of the meal? In 99% of cases, the service you get is the same from the same restaurant, whether you chose a £50 meal single meal or a £10 single meal. The waiter/waitress hasn't done anything more to provide you with the £50 meal, the food just simply costs more. Why then, should they get a £10 tip whereas in other cases the same service would only get them a £2 tip?

Secondly, a lot of employers cut down on employees wages with the expectation of tips (tips that aren't guaranteed).

Thirdly, the better looking waitresses oddly seem to provide far better service than the plain looking waitresses. Interesting correlation there.

I think tipping should be made illegal. People should only be allowed to pay what is on the bill, that's it.

So people should be paid for what they do even if they are not worth it? I am sure that if you ask it to be done - any establishment will be glad to add the tip to your bill - regardless of the service you receive and you will never have to think about it or let it bother you ever again.

The Traveler

I have never understood the whole % of the bill idea.

I mean i take the kids out for lunch, get them the kids meals ,grab something light like a sandwich spend $20-$25.

The kids spill their milk, the baby is tossing food on the floor, drawing on the table with a crayon on of the older kids slipped her, she pulls and dumps the nearest plate on the floor

while i'm helping the kids with their coats. The place looks like a war zone when we leave.

At 20% that's a $5

Take my wife out for dinner, we get steak and ribs, order some foo-foo drinks (which cost just as much without the booze most times) and get dessert. Total $40-$45

We don't leave a mess, we are respectful of our servers,

At 20% that's $9.

The price of the food doesn't make it more work to bring out any more difficult and in fact the server/busboy who have to work harder get payed less?

I tip well, but it is always based on the service never the price. I'll spend $12 on pizza and give $6 if it comes fast.

I usually tip 15-20% depending on my dining experience. If a waitperson is struggling, I am more understanding if I know they are new to the job. If they totally ignore me, it shows in how much I tip. I am not a demanding customer, but if I have to wait 10-15 minutes after my refillable drink is empty to be refilled, it will show up on the tip line. My time is just as valuable as the restaurant's and the wait staff's. If they treat me reasonably well, I will tip reasonably well. Great service is rewarded, and wait staff that goes out of their way to make my dining experience better than expected will see my appreciation for their effort in the tip. I rarely put money in the tip jar. I don't like the staff at a fast food restaurant to be begging me for more when I have already paid too much for their high-calorie, low quality food.

My wife on the other hand, has a friend whom I cringe when I hear that we have to go out with her and her husband. She always complains about the dish or the way it was prepared, many times sending it back for something different when she did not realize that it did not taste the way she expected it to. I think she does this in an effort to get the meal free, and it probably works at some places. She constantly bothers the wait staff, asking for extras and things that do not normally come with their meal, and not expecting to pay for those extras. They rarely tip, and if they do, it will be maybe a dollar or two, the cost of the meal or the hassling they gave the wait staff notwithstanding. I usually end up giving a larger tip on my bill just to make up for what these people put the staff through for nothing or very little.

So people should be paid for what they do even if they are not worth it? I am sure that if you ask it to be done - any establishment will be glad to add the tip to your bill - regardless of the service you receive and you will never have to think about it or let it bother you ever again.

The Traveler

The purpose of not being allowed to give additional £££ on top of the bill is to make it fair. Hiding it away in a bill doesn't take this away as I'm sure I dont need to explain to you. People doing the same job with the same credentials in the same place should get the same amount of money, regardless of whether they are good looking or not, or how expensive the meal was. If they are no good, they shouldn't be employed there, and the manager will do something about it if they cause problems.

In answer to your question, what would you do if you got bad service from a place where tipping is not customary (a car garage for instance?). I suspect your answer would be either not pay at all, complain to the manager, or not go there again. Pick your choice. More than one is acceptable. The lack of a tip is clearly not your only option.

Edited by Mahone

Ugly people make my meal less appetizing. I go to a restaurant expecting a gourmet experience, not a home-made meal or a homely experience. In fact, if you look at the origin of the word "gorgeous" you will see it comes from the waitressing business, where the really beautiful servers were known to get higher bills from "gorging" customers.

Ugly people make my meal less appetizing.

Ouch! Shame we place so much importance upon looks, but a fact of life that we do. It's 'mathematically programmed' into the brain. The Math Behind the Beauty

In fact, if you look at the origin of the word "gorgeous" you will see it comes from the waitressing business, where the really beautiful servers were known to get higher bills from "gorging" customers.

Interesting. I didn't know that, and find etymology fascinating.

On the subject of tipping, in the UK it's sometimes used by employers as a way of paying staff less, as elsewhere. Most restaurants, etc., tend only to employ attractive staff as far as I can see, though the most attractive (male and female) freely admit to feeling tired of being 'hit on' for dates.

On the subject of tipping, in the UK it's sometimes used by employers as a way of paying staff less, as elsewhere. Most restaurants, etc., tend only to employ attractive staff as far as I can see, though the most attractive (male and female) freely admit to feeling tired of being 'hit on' for dates.

Tipping is also used as tax evasion in many places (particularly through places where the tip is given in cash as an optional extra rather than being expected of all customers as part of the receipt).

The whole concept of tipping still does not make sense in my mind. It's one of these things that everyone does, but no-one can seem to give a very good reason as to why (i.e. there are better alternatives), but it's rude if you don't?

The world confuzzles me.

Edited by Mahone

@Mahone, I am likewise confuzzled! I suppose while the tax evasion and low pay issues remain, and people continue to feel guilt about not tipping, it will continue and poor gorgeous people will suffer.

In fact, after reading through an online newspaper while browsing here this morning, it occurs to me that those reasons may be why we've seen such an upsurge in good looking 'wannabes' having plastic surgery and stripping at the slightest opportunity in order to become 'famous'..? As the old sages said, good looks can be a curse. Me, I'm very blessed! ;)

In China it is rude to tip although some places have been westernized and will expect a tip - but not the places that cater to the locals.

This is true, although, it becomes less and less predominant even amongst establishments that are non-touristy and cater to locals.

When I went to Hong Kong, that was one of the things our travel agent made sure we understood. That tipping is considered rude there. Though we did when we went to an establishment that catered to Americans.

When I went to Hong Kong, that was one of the things our travel agent made sure we understood. That tipping is considered rude there. Though we did when we went to an establishment that catered to Americans.

They will accept a "tip" if it's in US currency. ;)

Guest Kamperfoelie

I've worked in an office for ten years, and the thanks i've received from my customers has never gone beyond a thank you. Considering my the amount of my wages..... :D

Here in NL, its customary to tip a max 10 pct of the bill, if satisfied. Staff get adequate wages, so tips are extra. I've seen people get up from € 100 + meals and leave nothing, while thanking the waiters effusively. Its not meanness per se: its the culture.

Also, the use of debitcards is very common here, and when swiping your card, you have to tell them how much you want them to add to the sum. Usually I round up to the nearest -0 or -5. If they muck up the tip i dont go to the bother of running the card again just for the purpose of tipping. Then its a matter of whatever change i have on hand.

I know take-out delivery-persons DO rely on tips tho, so i DO tip them -if satisfied, of course-. Cant imagine tipping at a fastfood place beyond saying keep the change, though.

However, one time I was so upset with a date long ago when I was single that I tipped her a nickel - though I was never sure if she understood why she was tipped - she did not seem to be much aware of anything that had occurred the entire evening.

Maybe she, quite early, picked up on the fact that you were the kind of man who would do something so petty as to use a "tip" to shame her because you didn't approve of her.

I doubt she didn't notice. I have a feeling she wanted nothing more to do with you either, and chose not to comment on your rudeness for fear of having to spend one more minute with you than necessary.

Elphaba

I always tip based on service. There have even been a couple of times when the server obviously didn't care about being friendly or making sure that we had what we needed (things such as waiting upwards of 20 minutes for a Coke). I left without leaving a tip. A tip is to be earned, not expected.

I tip 15% and more if the service is exceptional. If the server does a bad job, I will sometimes lower it. If they are intentionally rude, I give them nothing - my way of telling them they're not going to be rewarded for treating people that way. Years ago my sister and I split a meal because we were poor. While waiting, we were asked to get up for a moment so a guy could change the little lightbulb in the booth. She was visiting from college and it interrupted our conversation. When our meal was brought to us, they gave us a plate with one set of utensils and the server gave me a smug look as if to say, "That's right. I didn't bring you any utensils." They didn't bring us any water either. I had to hunt somebody down for water and utensils. When they brought the check, the girl stood there while my sister filled out the receipt, literally hovering over her. My sister said, "Um, could you not stand there?" She said, "I don't want to lose another pen." My sister said, "Fine." And she wrote in $0 next to the tip amount on the receipt. We had done nothing to be treated that badly - only asked to share a meal because it was all we could afford.

My best friend and I went out to lunch and we didn't tip our server because he disappeared. Turns out he forgot about us and went on his break. She was late getting back to work and we had to walk around the restaurant until we found someone to give us the check. What made it even more fun was that I had a nursing baby with me and she was due to go into labor at any moment. It was going smoothly until our server never came back.

Another guy ticked me off because he asked if I wanted to see the dessert menu. I told him no - we had a movie we were trying to make it to. After waiting for our check, he brought us the dessert menu anyway and said something like, "I thought you might change your mind if you saw the menu."

I do think it would be nice of servers were given a salary based on their performance instead of tips, basing their wages on customer feedback.

I was taught to tip at least 15% and as much as 20% because servers don't get paid that much and rely on their tips. Not only do I tip the hairdresser, I tried to give the person at Target a tip for helping me load a table I just bought into my car, but they're not allowed to take tips. It's just how I was raised, just as I'm the type to respond to RSVP's and write hand written thank you notes.

Here in New Zealand, you don't tip anybody, except in really upmarket restaurants. The idea is that people get paid by their employers to do their work, so they don't need to be paid twice. Taxi drivers love to tell stories about visiting Yanks who give them tips, when the whole cost of the journey is right there on the meter. (US visitors please note: yes, taxi rides are expensive here, but forget the tip and you probably come out ahead.)

When booking overseas travel, I always make a point of asking the travel agent about tipping customs in the places I'm visiting. I was flabbergasted when I went to the US in the 1980's and found out that just about everyone expected to be tipped for just about everything. (Or so it seemed to me.)

Regards,

Pahoran