Enos 1:5

pam

Enos 1Â*

5 And there came a voice unto me, saying: Enos, thy sins are forgiven thee, and thou shalt be blessed.

Quotes for Discussion

There came a voice unto me

We do not have the words (even the scriptures do not have the words) which perfectly describe the Spirit. The scriptures generally use the word voice, which does not exactly fit. These delicate, refined, spiritual communications are not seen with our eyes, nor heard with our ears. And even though it is described as a voice, it is a voice that one feels, more than one hears.

Boyd K. packer, Ensign, Jan. 1983 [salt Lake City: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1983], 52

The Spirit of God speaks to our spirits. The Lord does not communicate to us very often through our natural senses, but when He speaks He speaks to the immortal part; the spirit of man receives the communications the Lord sends to His children, and we must therefore be in harmony to receive them.

Teachings of Presidents of the Church—Joseph F. Smith [salt Lake City: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1998], 202-203

Each first Thursday of the month is a day for fasting and the bearing of testimony by the General Authorities of the Church….We hold our monthly testimony meeting in an upper room of the Salt Lake Temple….The Thursday of which I speak was June 1, 1978….

The question of extending the blessings of the priesthood to blacks had been on the minds of many of the Brethren over a period of years….It had become a matter of particular concern to President Spencer W. Kimball….

On this occasion he raised the question before his Brethren—his Counselors and the Apostles….We joined in prayer in the most sacred of circumstances. President Kimball himself was voice in that prayer….For me, it felt as if a conduit opened between the heavenly throne and the kneeling, pleading prophet of God who was joined by his Brethren. The Spirit of God was there. And by the power of the Holy Ghost there came to that prophet an assurance that the thing for which he prayed was right, that the time had come, and that now the wondrous blessings of the priesthood should be extended to worthy men everywhere regardless of lineage.

Every man in that circle, by the power of the Holy Ghost, knew the same thing….

No voice audible to our physical ears was heard. But the voice of the Spirit whispered with certainty into our minds and our very souls.

It was for us, at least for me personally, as I imagine it was with Enos,…[in] (Enos 1:10).

Gordon B. Hinckley, Ensign, Oct. 1988 [salt Lake City: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1988], 69-70

Once…I prayed through the night to know what I was to choose to do in the morning….I knew what choice looked most comfortable to me. I knew what outcome I wanted. But I could not see the future. I could not see which choice would lead to which outcome. So the risk of being wrong seemed too great to me.

I prayed, but for hours there seemed to be no answer. Just before dawn, a feeling came over me. More than at any time since I had been a child, I felt like one. My heart and my mind seemed to grow very quiet. There was a peace in that inner stillness.

Somewhat to my surprise, I found myself praying, “Heavenly Father, it doesn’t matter what I want. I don’t care anymore what I want. Please tell me what to do.”

In that moment I felt as quiet inside as I had ever felt. And the message came, and I was sure who it was from. It was clear what I was to do….

Only when my heart has been still and quiet, in submission like a little child, has the Spirit been clearly audible to my heart and mind.

Henry B. Eyring, Ensign, May 2006 [salt Lake City: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 2006], 16