any question can be answered in the scriptures right?

mcfuddy

The Incarnation (God's Son becoming flesh and dwelling amongst us) is the ultimate comfort to me. No other religion teaches of a God who actually has experienced our hardships. Jesus was rejected and betrayed, falsely accused, and ultimately executed. Then, of course, he is called the Comforter.

The entire book of Job is a poem about one who experiences the removal of God's blessing and presence. In the face of unexplanable misery, he friends start berating him, insisting he confess whatever sin God was punishing.

The Bible, and I'm sure the Triple contain countless passages that speak of God walking with us through our trials and tribulations.

Guest mormonmusic
Hidden

If you read the Book of Mormon Alma 28:4-6. There were a group of Nephites who had just won a war against the Lamanites. But they lost a lot of people -- family members, etcetera, so they dealt with it partly by fasting.

Also, read the Psalm of Nephi 2 Nephi 4:18 to the end of the chapter. He is not grieving over death, but his soul is "groaning" about a number of things, and he's suffering, perhaps even depressed. He uses a number of techniques I now recognize as part of Coginitive Based Therapy to help overcome the "soul groaning" he is experiencing. These include anchoring (reflecting on times when he was strong and supported by God, which tends to evoke those same feelings of strength, displacing the grief for a time). He also uses reframing -- where you reflect on your positive response to the situation and then do it. From a grief standpoint, potentially, telling yourself you are going to do positive thing X instead of letting the grief tie you down. And he also uses "motivating thoughts" where he reflects on the desired outcome of his existence. In your case, happiness in spite of what has happened to you.

And, don't forget time. As it says in the BoM, things tend to get better by "degrees":

Mosiah 21:16 and beyond describes how prosperity (and I think this can mean emotional/mental prosperity) often gets restored in degrees over time. Not as a single event.

Good luck, I feel for you as I've grieved significantly myself over the years.

well if any question can be answered in the scriptures

I'm not sure that's true. There are sure many questions I have that aren't answered clearly by the scriptures.

James 1:5

If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

Sorry to hear you're hurting. Emotional pain is part of our mortal probation sometimes.

Matthew 11:

28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

D&C 122:

1The ends of the earth shall inquire after thy name, and fools shall have thee in derision, and hell shall rage against thee; 2While the pure in heart, and the wise, and the noble, and the virtuous, shall seek counsel, and authority, and blessings constantly from under thy hand.

3And thy people shall never be turned against thee by the testimony of traitors.

4And although their influence shall cast thee into trouble, and into bars and walls, thou shalt be had in honor; and but for a small moment and thy voice shall be more terrible in the midst of thine enemies than the fierce lion, because of thy righteousness; and thy God shall stand by thee forever and ever.

5If thou art called to pass through tribulation; if thou art in perils among false brethren; if thou art in perils among robbers; if thou art in perils by land or by sea;

6If thou art accused with all manner of false accusations; if thine enemies fall upon thee; if they tear thee from the society of thy father and mother and brethren and sisters; and if with a drawn sword thine enemies tear thee from the bosom of thy wife, and of thine offspring, and thine elder son, although but six years of age, shall cling to thy garments, and shall say, My father, my father, why can’t you stay with us? O, my father, what are the men going to do with you? and if then he shall be thrust from thee by the sword, and thou be dragged to prison, and thine enemies prowl around thee like wolves for the blood of the lamb;

7And if thou shouldst be cast into the pit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the deep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good.

8The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he?

9Therefore, hold on thy way, and the priesthood shall remain with thee; for their bounds are set, they cannot pass. Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever.

Alma 7:

11And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people. 12And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities.

13Now the Spirit knoweth all things; nevertheless the Son of God suffereth according to the flesh that he might take upon him the sins of his people, that he might blot out their transgressions according to the power of his deliverance; and now behold, this is the testimony which is in me.

14Now I say unto you that ye must repent, and be born again; for the Spirit saith if ye are not born again ye cannot inherit the kingdom of heaven; therefore come and be baptized unto repentance, that ye may be washed from your sins, that ye may have faith on the Lamb of God, who taketh away the sins of the world, who is mighty to save and to cleanse from all unrighteousness.

15Yea, I say unto you come and fear not, and lay aside every sin, which easily doth beset you, which doth bind you down to destruction, yea, come and go forth, and show unto your God that ye are willing to repent of your sins and enter into a covenant with him to keep his commandments, and witness it unto him this day by going into the waters of baptism.

16And whosoever doeth this, and keepeth the commandments of God from thenceforth, the same will remember that I say unto him, yea, he will remember that I have said unto him, he shall have eternal life, according to the testimony of the Holy Spirit, which testifieth in me.

There are many more. However, I would ask and comment on some things you said. First, is your pain truly "unbearable?" If so, why? Have you placed all your faith, hopes, and desires on her, rather than on Christ? One's world collapses only if you build your house on sand. Christ is the only true and firm foundation. You can't do anything about her. You can joyfully remember the nice times you had with her, and then learn from the mistakes. Then refocus and rebuild yourself upon the foundation of Christ. He will never let you down, forsake you, or leave you alone. With him as your true foundation, other losses will be placed in proper perspective. Yes, it will still hurt, but it won't be "unbearable." And he will be there to heal you, for he has suffered more than we have.

The thing wherein you need to repent is in placing your faith in her, rather than in Christ. This is common for all of us to do, to place our hopes and faith on something worldly. Now, marrying someone for eternity IS important, but it still must not be our foundation, for when that person dies, we would again find the pain to be unbearable. With Christ sharing our burdens, we find the load is lighter and something we are able to bear.

Guest mormonmusic
Hidden

My wife and I were talking about this -- the scriptures really don't answer a lot of questions -- they simply point to broad outcomes. But they still inspire me. I think the admonition to seek learning out of the Best Books is another way of getting answers to our questions, totally consistent with the scriptures.

If the answer to everything is in scripture everything would have been answered and solved 2000 years ago. The answer is not in scripture but understanding scripture - See Ecc 1:9.

As to answers to personal problem - I heard an interesting answer (coming out of Australia) -- “Build a bridge and get over it.” I know it sounds a little heartless but the one truth of life that I have learned is that nothing will work for me until I do.

I believe most of life’s challenges are attitudes. In other words if you think you can or think you can’t -- you are right.

The Traveler