Vegetarian Recipes

Suzie

Suzie - I have been mostly vegan for almost 3 yrs now (some packaged products have a bit of milk in them, I don't sweat it as long as there's no meat). There are some great sites - fatfreevegan.com, | Post Punk Kitchen | Vegan Baking & Vegan Cooking (language may be strong for some but posters take pics of the food they've made, which is nice), and VegWeb.com - Vegan Recipes and Cooking Tips. I know you asked for what people tried, but I think if you cruise around these sites, you will see recipies that look good to you, depending on your personal tastes.

I enjoy plain food like rice and beans with peppers. You can vary the kinds of beans. If you use black beans, some cumin and lime juice,etc and put that over rice or in a tortilla, and you have a nice Caribbean or Mexican meal. I have to watch the carbs, but when I make this for my son, I add taco or Spanish rice from the packaged mix. You don't have to kill your self trying to make new stuff; there's plenty of decent packaged food on the shelf. I also go all American with a packaged veggie burger, fries, Bush's vegetarian baked beans. I like to make a 'shake' with frozen strawberries and almond or soy milk.

I roast vegetables and have them on their own with a salad or some greens or with a fake chicken patty or soup. Oh yeah, soup, I make a ton of these, from veg soup in tomato/V8 juice to beans with spinach and spices. I do stir fries and curries; sometimes my son will have some chicken pieces with his food, but I have it just with the veggies or with 'chickin' strips. I make chili, sometimes with the soy 'hamburger' crumbles, but often not.

My son is an omni (eats everything), but eats vegan at home unless I've bought him a rotisserie chicken. He's stopped eating red meat except for a McDonald's burger and won't eat pork anymore. He still drinks milk, but will drink soy or almond milk if it's flavored.

I think if most people looked at what they ate, they'd find a lot of 'vegetarian meals' that they're eating already; just take out the meat. You probably already eat stir fry, just have the veggie stir fry. Make chili w/o meat, etc. I make stuff with tofu and I make my own vegan ribz with vital wheat gluten. I enjoy trying some of the new vegan products that come out, but you don't have to eat anything with which you aren't familiar. Like I said, just leave out the meat - macaroni and cheese with a bowl of tomato soup - not strange at all.

I have a recipe that I found a few years back that my kids absolutely love.

Ingredients:

2 large bell peppers (any color)

1 package of whole mushrooms

1 large zuchini (or 2 small ones)

1 large crook neck (or 2 small ones)

1 bottle of Marinara sauce

Mozzarella cheese

Fresh graded Parmesan cheese

1 package (16 oz) penne noodles

1. Cut peppers, zucchini, squash, and mushrooms into bite size pieces. I usually only cut the mushrooms in half because they reduce in size quite a bit.

2. Place them on a roasting pan and coat with olive oil. Sprinkle with dried Italian Seasoning. Roast in an oven on about 400 degrees until tender.

3. In the meantime bring a pot of water to a boil and cook penne noodles for 8 minutes. They will finish cooking in the sauce.

4. When the vegetables are finished combine them with the noodles and add sauce and some mozzarella cheese. Save some of the Mozzarella cheese to cover the top.

5. Cover the top with Mozzarella cheese and sprinkle generously with Parmesan cheese. Once cheese melts and noodles are tender it is done.

Vegetarian here. If you're looking for some quick and easy meals, try some already-made boxed stuff in the frozen food section. When I get home from a tiresome shift, I like to grab a couple veggie patties and throw them into wraps, tacos or pasta. My husband is a big meat eater and I don't expect him to quit eating meat but he's tried the veggie patties and really enjoys them. In fact, he doesn't really think about them as substitutes either. Yay! Anyway, I mention that for other people in the fam that aren't vegetarians or vegans. They may still like a good veggie patty! :D

ETA: You've probably already tried them but I just wanted to assure you that they're really tasty if you hadn't!

Edited by Bini

Thanks Bini! I am sort of like...vegetarian. Let me explain, for some reason I have a problem in labeling myself as one, I am not sure why! I don't cook meat, my family doesn't eat it, if I go out I wouldn't choose a meal with meat but let's say someone offers me a meal with meat I wouldn't mind eating it. Makes sense or sounds weird?

Thanks for the ideas. :)

Considering vegetarian. I am pretty much literally in the "eat meat sparingly" category with the idea that if I had to go vegetarian, it wouldn't be a problem for me. However, I'm marrying into a ranching family, so I don't know if I could ever go full vegetarian without offending the in-laws.

Guest DeborahC

I know this doesn't sound good, but try it and you'll be hooked! The apple is sweet and the turnip gives it a little bite. Plus it only takes 5 minutes to prepare and is great for potlucks!

1 crisp apple, washed and cored

1 turnip the same size, peeled

Juice of 1 lemon

a handful of chopped parsley

1 tblsp honey

salt to taste

Shred the apple and the turnip. I use a food processor.

Immediately add the lemon juice, honey, parsley

Mix it all up.

Salt to taste.

ENJOY!

Vegetarian here. If you're looking for some quick and easy meals, try some already-made boxed stuff in the frozen food section. When I get home from a tiresome shift, I like to grab a couple veggie patties and throw them into wraps, tacos or pasta. My husband is a big meat eater and I don't expect him to quit eating meat but he's tried the veggie patties and really enjoys them. In fact, he doesn't really think about them as substitutes either. Yay! Anyway, I mention that for other people in the fam that aren't vegetarians or vegans. They may still like a good veggie patty! :D

ETA: You've probably already tried them but I just wanted to assure you that they're really tasty if you hadn't!

Although he still likes a McDonald's burger, my omni son prefers the veggie burgers. It's so easy to make some burgers and fixins or to put thawed and chopped up veggie burgers in stew. I think the burgers taste more meat-like than putting the soy crumbles in. For folks who have been veg*n a long time, many don't need to reproduce the taste of meat. For newbies and for feeding a family where some still eat meat, the analogs are the way to go.

I'm not terribly hung up on veggie patties resembling meat products in texture or even taste, and I've been vegetarian for four or five years now. Just as long as I know there aren't animal bits and pieces in it—I'm feeling good about my choices. That's just a personal decision I've made. Like I said, I don't expect my husband to change his eating habits on the sole account of mine. But liking veggies patties is a total bonus! :D

Amazingly, I found the Mama Sita's Chop Suey Mix at Wal-mart!!! I used to have to go to the Filipino store for this thing.

This is the best veggie platter according to my kids - they normally have to be force-fed veggies - but with this Chop Suey mix, they actually will not mind eating nothing but just this for lunch!

Walmart.com: Mama Sita's: Chopsuey Stir Fry Mix, 1.4 Oz: Deli

I usually just go and get the fresh vegetable salad package that has the brocolli, cauliflower, and carrots. Then I add red and green bell peppers and sliced mushrooms. Stir fry in Safflower oil, then add the Mama Sita's Chop Suey mix dissolved in a cup of water and you have a veggie platter in under 15 minutes!

NOTE: The mix has MSG in it. Some people are sensitive to MSG.

Although he still likes a McDonald's burger, my omni son prefers the veggie burgers. It's so easy to make some burgers and fixins or to put thawed and chopped up veggie burgers in stew. I think the burgers taste more meat-like than putting the soy crumbles in. For folks who have been veg*n a long time, many don't need to reproduce the taste of meat. For newbies and for feeding a family where some still eat meat, the analogs are the way to go.

I'm so picky about my veggie burgers. I love the idea, but I found i prefer the homemade patties.

I should add that I've never liked chicken or beef OR fake chicken or beef. They're both yucky. The only veggie patties I like are the sausage patties from Morningstar. They're very small and light! Only 70 calories per patty. No funky texture or funky taste. I like mine super spicy and with mustard (0 calories)!

No. I just do it to eliminate the heavy fat of cream and butter. I know that nuts have fat, but it's a little healthier fat. Sometimes I use normal fettuccine, sometimes I use whole-grain. It just depends on what I have on hand. I've altered the portions a little for my own family size, but this is where I got my recipe: Cashew Fettucini Alfredo, for anyone else interested.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

My favorite one is:

Ingredients

1 (40 ounce) can cut sweet potatoes, undrained

1 cup white sugar

2 eggs

1/3 cup butter

1/3 cup milk

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 cup packed brown sugar

1 cup chopped pecans

1/3 cup all-purpose flour

1/3 cup butter, melted

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter a 2 quart baking dish.

Place the sweet potatoes and their liquid in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil. Cook 15 minutes, or until tender. Remove from heat, drain, and mash.

In a medium bowl, mix the mashed sweet potatoes, white sugar, eggs, 1/3 cup butter, milk, and vanilla extract. Spread evenly into the prepared baking dish.

In a separate bowl, mix the brown sugar, chopped pecans, flour, and 1/3 cup melted butter. Sprinkle over the sweet potato mixture.

Bake 35 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.

Edited by abeera