Well, my friends, I'm gonna take the big step on Jan 15. We had a big discussion tonight with the missionaries and their ward leader (?) about the process and we talked about the responsibilities of church membership. I got a copy of a rather intimidating sheet of on-going steps going forward. We also talked about me being a home teacher rather soon after baptism. More intimidation.:eek:

I would never have guessed that looking at a movie on Nauvoo 2 years ago, moving to a town where the main road near me is - wait for it people - 'Mormon Trek Blvd,' visiting Mormon Handcart Park, and reading about a religion that I knew nothing about would have me wind up as an investigator and soon, a convert!

As many of you know, I have questioned, read, studied, and questioned some more the whole way. I have prayed a bit, and am trying to make prayer more a part of my life. Along the way I have had so many signs that helped move me past the impediments I saw to joining the church. Every time I thought I was at an impasse, some new information would come my way - often from members of this board - and I was able to move forward.

I think I've posted enough on this board that people probably get that I'm not given to a lot of emotion around my investigation, but I have to say I am so happy and grateful that I have found this church. I know it is true. I am grateful for the people I have met in the church (even if they don't give me anymore homemade candy - which was amazing, btw). I am truly grateful for the chance I have to learn the Scriptures for the first time in my life. I am grateful for the people on this board who put up with this ignorant investigator. And I am grateful, so very grateful, for the missionaries who give up part of their youth to spread the gospel and tell people about the Book of Mormon. They are young, they can't always tell me what I want to know, but boy, do I love them and would not be here without them.

OK, that's enough. I'm gonna go wipe eyes and blow my nose.

Oh my, this is the most awesome news. This really made my day. Congratulations Dahlia on your upcoming baptism. You must take pictures so you have a remembrance of this day.

Oh my, this is the most awesome news. This really made my day. Congratulations Dahlia on your upcoming baptism. You must take pictures so you have a remembrance of this day.

We talked about pictures, but I told the missionaries no pictures of me in the white jumpsuit. I've seen those all over the internet - happy missionaries and their baptisees in jumpsuits. No. Homey don't play that. No way am I gonna wind up on the internet dressed like that. They can take the pictures after I change, thank you very much. :D

We talked about pictures, but I told the missionaries no pictures of me in the white jumpsuit. I've seen those all over the internet - happy missionaries and their baptisees in jumpsuits. No. Homey don't play that. No way am I gonna wind up on the internet dressed like that. They can take the pictures after I change, thank you very much. :D

:rofl:

Wow! This is great!

I have to say, there's a bit of a "what did I get myself into" moment after baptism that most converts go through but the blessings of baptism is undeniable...

Wow! This is great!

I have to say, there's a bit of a "what did I get myself into" moment after baptism that most converts go through but the blessings of baptism is undeniable...

I think I had that moment when the missionary leader gave me a sheet of paper showing what I should be doing and when. That was a little worrisome, but I figured other members of the Church go through these steps, I can too.

I'm curious to see this paper you are talking about. I'm not sure I've seen that. Wondering if I'm on track..... :D

It's titled, "New and Returning Member Progress." It has personal info such as name, contact info, children's names, etc. then it has steps over 12 months that I should do, such as having the ward missionaries go back over the lessons with me (I'm really not thrilled about that, especially if I have to have them at home all the time. My son isn't happy with all these people in the house.), that I started family history, that I have a calling, etc.

I don't think the Army gets this much info on recruits. If SLC starts asking for my blood type, I may have to rethink this whole thing. :D

No, they don't ask for a blood type. But they do ask for a DNA sample. :P

I know what paper you are talking about now. I think the last thing on the list is obtaining a temple recommend and attending the temple.

The lessons you are talking about are for new members--goes into a little bit more of what is expected of the members and teaches more. These can be done in someone else's home if it isn't convenient to have them in your home. And actually, it should be your home teachers or other ward members who teach you instead of just the missionaries.

So, I got a jumpsuit and actually stepped into the baptismal font. Folks, I'm scared. I don't see how I'm going to lean back, lean forward, squat or whatever to get fully immersed. Aside from the fact that I don't want to do this 2-3 times in front of everybody, I don't want to look like an arms flailing idiot in the attempt.

One of the missionaries is quite tall and showed how he was able to be fully immersed when he did baptisms for the dead. I dunno folks. I dunno. I'm not as supple as these young guys, especially after this hip bursitis thing I've been dealing with for months. Any suggestions?

I've got to say that my missionaries are just the nicest young men. They don't know much about the face saving concerns of the middle-aged, but they are sweet guys, nonetheless.

The lessons you are talking about are for new members--goes into a little bit more of what is expected of the members and teaches more. These can be done in someone else's home if it isn't convenient to have them in your home. And actually, it should be your home teachers or other ward members who teach you instead of just the missionaries.

In our old Ward, this was the Gospel Principles class for new members, or anyone who wanted to go. A teacher was called to teach this class, quite often that teacher was also the Ward Missionary. Oh, it was held at the meetinghouse on Sunday. When I came back to church (10 years ago)after a 30 year lapse, this was taught to me by the Senior Branch Missionaries at the Church on Wednesday mornings.

Since Gospel Principles is the lesson book for Relief Society/Priesthood- this year (and last year) don't know what the New Member classes will be doing.

The LDS faith is a 24/7 faith, it involves every aspect of your life. Thus it is a total life style changing faith.

So, I got a jumpsuit and actually stepped into the baptismal font. Folks, I'm scared. I don't see how I'm going to lean back, lean forward, squat or whatever to get fully immersed. Aside from the fact that I don't want to do this 2-3 times in front of everybody, I don't want to look like an arms flailing idiot in the attempt.

One of the missionaries is quite tall and showed how he was able to be fully immersed when he did baptisms for the dead. I dunno folks. I dunno. I'm not as supple as these young guys, especially after this hip bursitis thing I've been dealing with for months. Any suggestions?

I've got to say that my missionaries are just the nicest young men. They don't know much about the face saving concerns of the middle-aged, but they are sweet guys, nonetheless.

You are not going to lean back on your own. The priesthood holder who will be in the font with you, is going to lean you back, and bring you back up. You just need to relax, allow him to do it and not fight it. Keep your feet firmly on the bottom of the font, keep your hands tucked up against your body-

This is taken from lds.org Family Guidebook Priesthood Ordinances and Blessings

Baptism

Under the direction of the presiding authority, a worthy priest or man who holds the Melchizedek Priesthood may perform a baptism. To do so, he:

Stands in the water with the person who will be baptized.For convenience and safety, holds the person’s right wrist with his left hand; the person being baptized holds the left wrist of the one performing the baptism with his or her left hand.Raises his right arm to the square.States the person’s full name and says, “Having been commissioned of Jesus Christ, I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen” (D&C 20:73).Has the person hold his or her nose with the right hand for convenience; the one performing the baptism places his right hand high on the person’s back and immerses the person completely, including the person’s clothing.Helps the person come up out of the water.Two priests or men who hold the Melchizedek Priesthood witness each baptism to be sure it is performed properly. The baptism must be repeated if the words are not spoken exactly as given in Doctrine and Covenants 20:73 or if part of the person’s body or clothing was not immersed completely. The person being baptized and the person performing the ordinance are to wear white clothing that is not transparent when wet.

I was 14 when I was baptized - my hair was extremely long and braided in one braid down my back. I had to wear ear plugs - no water in the ears, perforated ear drums- thus I couldn't hear clearly what was being said. The first time I was 'dipped' my braid didn't get immersed. The braid was tucked down the back of the dress I was wearing. The second time I was 'unbalanced' and my left foot shot up out of the water. The priesthood holder gently stepped on my feet to keep them underwater and I was then 'dipped' a third time.

Now- at the time and for decades later, I thought this was normal, getting 'dipped' three times. First - for the Father, Second- for the Son and finally Third for the Holy Ghost:D. It wasn't until I went to my nephew's baptism 33 years later that I discovered you only get 'dipped' once. :P Also the baptism clothes are made of much lighter weight material - the dress I wore was floor length and when wet weighed at least 20 pounds!

If your hair is long, I would suggest that you braid it and secure it so it doesn't float to the surface. AND/OR put it in a bun or chignon.

The key is to bend your knees. Your missionary is going to support you. You will be holding onto his arm, he is going to be supporting your hold and with his other hand he will be supporting your back. As he leans you back, bend your knees. Remember the water is helping you as well. The water will be about waist level, maybe a little more. That will make you more buoyant. As you lean back, bend your knees as deep as you can. Go slowly (tell your missionary that you are nervous too and to go slowly). Ask him and his companion to demonstrate how it is going to work. Don't you try it as it is difficult to do out of the water. But that water helps alot with this--even if you have bad knees or something.

Also, your missionary won't hold you down, but he may hesitate from bringing you out of the water a moment to make sure all of you is below the water. Total immersion is important--so even if your hair or hem of the jumpsuit is out of the water, you will have to do it again. Be sure and talk to your missionary to let him know to make sure to do it right so you don't have to get dunked again. It's actually all on him rather than on you--he has to say the right words, help you down and back up and then make sure you were completely immersed--hope you chose wisely who was going to baptize you! :D

I had to be dunked twice as the hem of my dress (my aunt made me a dress to wear instead of a jumpsuit) came out of the water. But what was embarrassing was I had a cold at the time and made some horrible, loud noise (sniffle noise is not descriptive enough) as he helped me back up. Oh my word, was I embarrassed. My guy asked me if I was ok it was so loud and awful sounding. No one said anything about it to me and I was able to laugh about it (I said it was that evil coming out of me). It was embarrassing but I survived and now have a funny story to relate to others. At least they can't video baptisms!

When I was baptized, my feet flew up straight in front of me. I was able to right myself before splattering half the crowd though. My missionary was shorter than me.

Oh man, see - that's exactly what I'm talking about! :eek:

Can I just take a shower in the jumpsuit and be done?:lol:

But what was embarrassing was I had a cold at the time and made some horrible, loud noise (sniffle noise is not descriptive enough) as he helped me back up. Oh my word, was I embarrassed. My guy asked me if I was ok it was so loud and awful sounding.

Gosh. Glad you can look back and laugh. I'm thinking years in therapy and fear of small bodies of water. :lol:

I am not feeling any better about this folks. I heard the missionaries are going to make cookies for the event. They're going to need them for strength.

As far as I know there is no requirement that you be standing. He could kneel and you could just sit on your tush with your legs out (assuming there is room in the font, otherwise you may have to splay them out or some such)*. May not meet your ideas of dignified though.

* They probably wouldn't fill the font as high as normal.

As far as I know there is no requirement that you be standing. He could kneel and you could just sit on your tush with your legs out (assuming there is room in the font, otherwise you may have to splay them out or some such)*. May not meet your ideas of dignified though.

* They probably wouldn't fill the font as high as normal.

The font in the Branch in High Prairie, Alberta is very small. It is easy enough to baptize a child but I don't think an adult, especially an adult male could be immersed if he was not kneeling first.

BTW dahlia, you have a great outlook and good sense of humour. I think you will do just fine. :)

M.

So is tomorrow still the big day dahlia?

Yeah, still the big day. Others have warned me that the Adversary might step in and try to turn me astray, but that hasn't happened. I was kinda hoping for something exciting to occur so I could stand up and say, 'Get ye hence!', but my biggest challenge so far is deciding what to wear to the baptism. :lol:

The one thing about living in a small town and everyone in the ward living close to the church is that you run into people all over the place. I have met so many people this week telling me they were coming to the baptism. So, if nothing else, I've been shamed into showing up; otherwise I'd have dragged all these people out of their nice warm houses for nothing.

Maybe the Adversary is waiting for me to get into the font and make a fool of myself with 3 attempts at being baptized?:D

You know the nice thing - months ago I wouldn't have known any of these people unless they showed up in one of my classes or I was one of their patients. Now I know a bunch of people, right in my own neighborhood, and they don't run the other way when they see me coming. Sweet!

:roflmbo: