Programmers: VB or Java?

slamjet

I have a project that I'm going to get started on even though I haven't programmed for a decade (yes, I've programmed in FORTRAN and still know my DOS commands). With all the new stuff out there, I've confused myself as to which is the best route. I'm going to make a computer app that may need to work on a server in the future. It will run in the Windows environment and needs to read/write/append a database (my weakest point of knowledge). Possibly three relational databases.

I was thinking VB because I can use Access as the database, easy enough. SQL scares me. But I'm looking at Java because there are more classes in the local community colleges.

As for databases, should I look at mySQL, PostgreSQL, XML, Access or something different or simpler?

Any ideas or advice?

Java is more flexible across different platforms and it is more marketable.

VB is great for integrating with Microsoft products.

C# is better if you want to venture into iPhone/iPad/iTouch development. It is a short jump from C# to Object C.

Java is good but it has a much steeper learning curve than VB. VB.NET will allow you to do a lot of cross platform stuff if you want to. Stick with Access as your database unless you need something that is industrial strength. But even if you need industrial strength database then Access is a scaled down version of MS SQL Server and that is a good database for large applications so stick with Access and if you need a big industry standard DB then your access code will work on SQL Server.

Cheers

Guest mormonmusic
Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

For ease of programming, I would go with a VB.net and SQL Server combination. There is a low cost or free version called SQL Server Express, I believe. At one time, there was the MSDE, which was a version of SQL Server that had performance degradation at 10 simultaneous users, or so. But it was free. It was meant for learners and small applications. You can also use Access with VB.net but it too slows down if you get about 10 simultaneous users.

If you want portability and low cost, I would go with a Php or Java and MYSQL combination. It's all open source and free, but the learning curve is in fact steeper as someone said above. Plus, it's been rigorously used on Unix systems, and you're using Windows. That was true a few years ago; check if my knowledge is up to date.

Personally, if you're just getting into programming again, I say start with VB.net. You'll get up and running with less frustration. Plus you'll be able to harness that knowledge to do web-based ASP.net applications if you want. I've been assuming you're putting your app on a LAN, not via the web....

Edited by mormonmusic

PHP and MySQL work equally well in Windows and Linux (as does Java). Apache (the web server) also runs on both platforms with virtually no difference. You can even run PHP under IIS if you really want to. The biggest disadvantage for VB is that it is really not cross platform, so you will be forced to use Windows, IIS and MSSQL. And that may be free for small projects, but scalability will cost you. Apache, PHP, MySQL, and even Linux are all free.

I'm not worried about cross platform. Windows will be the only thing my target will be running. So I'm leaning more towards VB.Net. I downloaded and tried NetBeans and found that there's been a lot of water under the bridge in my knowledge and remembrance of Java. Even VB.Net has changes a lot since the VB 6 days.

So I'm going to tinker around with VB for a bit and see how it feels.

VB .NET is probably the easiest to learn, and develop out of the Box. With in a an hour I made some simple program that slowly became more see through. Just for fun of it. There are plenty of tutorials.

Once you learn the ideas of .NET then they you could move some of it over to C#.

Java on the other is probably more widely used. Because its powerful and free you can set up the advance system with no cost at all.

They do have some Swing plugs ins for Net beens or Eclipse that make it almost run like VB .NET (Drag and drop forms). Again it doesn't take that much to make a basic program this way.

I haven't used PHP.

This reply is off topic, but programming is also divided into religions. I'd say VB, Access, .NET represent the Catholic version of programming, Java, MySQL, PHP represent the Protestant version, and Perl (of Great Price) and PostgreSQL represent a religion based on inspiration and purity.;)

You know, that's not far off. I read an article some months back, about how geographic location influences languages used for projects. Obviously the Washington area is influenced by Microsoft so a lot more VB.net is used there. Cupertino and the bay area is far more into Objective-C, the language of the iPod. And PHP is used in places less corporately influential. Also companies who tend to lean toward open source and want or need direct control over the underlying engine use PHP/Java (Yahoo, Facebook, Google).

If you're only concerned about windows compatibility, I would say .NET is definitely the way to go. I personally like C# syntax over VB even for simplicity and ease of use. I also would avoid using Access if you have any desire to expand the project. SQL Server Express + Management Studio is free and easy to integrate with in .NET languages.

It's a short jump from C# to Java. It's a sizable leap from C# to Objective C :P

My point was C# is better than VB if you want to stick with Microsoft with the option of going mobile.

• 1 year later...
Guest rampatter
Hidden

I have a project that I'm going to get started on even though I haven't programmed for a decade (yes, I've programmed in FORTRAN and still know my DOS commands). With all the new stuff out there, I've confused myself as to which is the best route. I'm going to make a computer app that may need to work on a server in the future. It will run in the Windows environment and needs to read/write/append a database (my weakest point of knowledge). Possibly three relational databases.

I was thinking VB because I can use Access as the database, easy enough. SQL scares me. But I'm looking at Java because there are more classes in the local community colleges.

As for databases, should I look at mySQL, PostgreSQL, XML, Access or something different or simpler?

Any ideas or advice?

It is better to take C# is the best thing. VB and C# C# Tutorial , C# Help , C# Source Code , both from same platform and logically both are same. But C# is getting popular day by day , so i think C# is the best choice for your career. In case of SQL , from programming sense access and Sql server are same from VB.NET.

patter.