Enos 1:2, 9, 13

pam

Enos 1Â*

2 And I will tell you of the wrestle which I had before God, before I received a remission of my sins.

9 Now, it came to pass that when I had heard these words I began to feel a desire for the welfare of my brethren, the Nephites; wherefore, I did pour out my whole soul unto God for them.

13 And now behold, this was the desire which I desired of him—that if it should so be, that my people, the Nephites, should fall into transgression, and by any means be destroyed, and the Lamanites should not be destroyed, that the Lord God would preserve a record of my people, the Nephites; even if it so be by the power of his holy arm, that it might be brought forth at some future day unto the Lamanites, that, perhaps, they might be brought unto salvation—

Quotes for Discussion

Progression of Prayer

Very often the Twelve and the First Presidency pray together. When President Kimball takes his turn to be voice, he generally includes this phrase in his prayers: “Bless our enemies. Help us to understand them, and them to understand us.” He doesn’t ask for vengeance or retaliation, just for understanding so differences can be resolved. Perhaps, family differences and neighborhood problems could be resolved if we would follow our prophet’s example and pray for patience and forgiveness.

Marvin J. Ashton, in Conference Report, Apr. 1985 [salt Lake City: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1985], 59

Here is another important pattern which is followed by the prophets and which we must follow also:

1. First praying for the welfare of our own souls and doing what is necessary to achieve that.

2. Then praying for the welfare of our family and friends and doing what is necessary to help them.

3. Then praying for the welfare of all others, including those who some may term our enemies, and doing all we can to help them.

If we cannot honestly follow this pattern we still have a distance to go to be as God would have us be and feel and love as He would have us feel and love.

John H. Groberg, Heroes from the Book of Mormon, [salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1995], 56