Peaceful, Happy, Smooth Sailing Family Home Evenings

MistletoeLady

I am sure the title describes your FHE experiences, but when my children were at home, it did not! I would say that our FHE's made Satan laugh, clap, dance and jump up and down with sheer joy! Fighting among the children was the main course of the FHE's.

I have been asked to give a 15 minute lesson on FHE and how to get through these challenges our children pose. We need to discuss all ages from infant through young adult.

Do you have any suggestions that could help mother's today, who feel their FHE are worthless and nothing but frustrations that make Satan jump and shout for joy?

Thank you and have a great day!

Mistletoe Lady

Do your kids always fight every single time they are together? Or only during FHE?

Because, if they're always fighting when they're together your problem is not FHE.

If they're only fighting in FHE, then you gotta find the trigger - why they think FHE is the right time to wage war against each other.

I realized I didn't really answer the question...

My family look forward to FHE - that includes the kids, ages 7 and 9. Unfortunately, both my husband and I have work responsibilities, so, we sometimes skip a week.

FHE always start with dinner - nothing special since we eat dinner together everyday. During dinner, we talk about "family business" - nothing special since we talk about that everyday too. The difference is - we "open" FHE in the prayer before dinner and we officially ask each person around the table if they have any family business - instead of the regular everybody talk at the same time that happens at everyday dinner. So there is always a feeling of - this is a special day - to start off the FHE. It makes the kids cognizant of good behavior to invite the Spirit into the activity.

Then we have a short gospel topic - 15-20 minutes or so. Then we either watch a movie (we drive to the theater) or play a board game - the kids love both so they always look forward to FHE because they think it's really fun.

But then, my kids don't fight much at any other time. I don't tolerate kids fighting in my house. Of course, they're only 7 and 9, so this might become a challenge when they get into their hormonal stage.

Thank you for your input. My kids were at war with each other no matter what. But, then they had a father who was a jerk. After our divorce, the kids settled down tremendously. We all needed that very badly! I need all the help I can get with different opinions from as many for a talk I am giving in RS about FHE.

Have a wonderful day!