Keeping your sanity 101...

Mahone

• 1 month later...

That I would agree with as well..

All you need for the girl is a pretty dress and a bouquet.

And two witnesses for the temple ceremony :)

Trust me, I'm a minimalist when it comes to getting married and sealed. Of course if it was up to me I'd probably leave a trail of offended family and friends in my wake.

Lol.. I have mention many times to him that I would seriously elope.. Just think of all the money you can save... and a lot of Mormons say that is the best idea and to have a wedding reception later on, because really you don't know what kind of wedding you want until probably 10 years later.

No, it's the IT guy's job to fix everything all the wannabe techies do to destroy perfectly working systems.

Yes it is the IT guy's job to fix things, but the ones who break the stuff blame that it's the IT tech's fault because it's his subject of area. People don't know how to take responsibility anymore.

Mahone, have you ever heard of something called "change management"? It's something that actually is a wonderful and effective thing IF...and that's a BIG if...it is used. In other words, lock down your system/s so tight that no one can do a release between date X and date X. It's the only way, otherwise you'll be, not just at work but be called at home 24/7/365 just like my wife. She has finally come to the conclusion, with my assistance, that she will not have a day off until she either quits, gets fired, retires or dies. Bottom line, because although they DO have change management not a single person who has access (to things they shouldn't) gives a (you know what) and feels that thier ONE LITTLE STUPID TABLE MUST BE CHANGED RIGHT NOW OR LIFE AS WE KNOW IT WILL CEASE IMMEDIATELY, of course not knowing OR caring that this one table change effects 2,700 other users, OH did I mention her job is on a system at a hospital that the Dr's are totally dependent on for reading charts??? Don't you want your family member laid up in our hospital the night, (weekly) some nitwit does a "un-annaouced OR approved/tested" release into prod?

Well, maybe if you didn't sound like a workaholic, you would have left work 5 hours ago.. and wouldn't have this problem would you? :P

Psssh. I left work on time two nights last week!

Mahone, have you ever heard of something called "change management"? It's something that actually is a wonderful and effective thing IF...and that's a BIG if...it is used. In other words, lock down your system/s so tight that no one can do a release between date X and date X. It's the only way, otherwise you'll be, not just at work but be called at home 24/7/365 just like my wife. She has finally come to the conclusion, with my assistance, that she will not have a day off until she either quits, gets fired, retires or dies. Bottom line, because although they DO have change management not a single person who has access (to things they shouldn't) gives a (you know what) and feels that thier ONE LITTLE STUPID TABLE MUST BE CHANGED RIGHT NOW OR LIFE AS WE KNOW IT WILL CEASE IMMEDIATELY, of course not knowing OR caring that this one table change effects 2,700 other users, OH did I mention her job is on a system at a hospital that the Dr's are totally dependent on for reading charts??? Don't you want your family member laid up in our hospital the night, (weekly) some nitwit does a "un-annaouced OR approved/tested" release into prod?

Oh we do have change management in place somewhat. And certainly nothing gets changed on the live network without being tested first. Sometimes though, settings that affect the entire network have to be changed at very short notice due to the current settings causing major issues. Working at nights and weekends where network usage is at a mimimum, and the time is there to resolve any issues that might arise, is not an option 99% of the time. So evenings are the best time to make such changes. If all goes well, I get to leave work only an hour late. If all goes dreadfully wrong, well, the building doesn't close till 5 hours after my shift is supposed to finish... so I have to use that time to resolve the problem before the next day :)