How to confirm if a person is deceased?

norgaards

I have tried searching via familysearch.org for some family in the US. I need to find out if some of them are deceased. I searched 'Historical Record', 'Family Trees' and 'Library Catalog', and found them, but I don't see any confirmation on their death anywhere. Does anybody here know about other places to find this information?

Thanks

John

I have tried searching via familysearch.org for some family in the US. I need to find out if some of them are deceased. I searched 'Historical Record', 'Family Trees' and 'Library Catalog', and found them, but I don't see any confirmation on their death anywhere. Does anybody here know about other places to find this information?

Thanks

John

Go to:https://new.familysearch.org/en/action/unsec/welcome sign in- or register if you haven't already. After you sign in, click on the Search tab at the top. Then at the bottom, click on the words search other sources. You will want to select US Social Security Death Index. When you get there, you will put in the name they used at the time of death. You will need a year- if you don't know, then put in 2000 and then select the year frame 10 years. You don't have to put in the place where they lived when they got their SS#.

If it comes up with a whopper of a list, then you will need to know where they were living when they died. I have found lots of first cousins this way. Also found the year of death & where they were receiving SS benefit checks, on my ex-husband and his mother. Remember, for the SS Death Index, the last name for women is NOT always their maiden name like in the church indexes. You will need to know her married name if she is married.

Give that a try- if you have any trouble, post here in this thread and we will come to your assistance.

I generally advise checking for breathing and a pulse, but that's just me. Odds are if you don't have either one of those, the outcome is likely to end up negatively for the patient.

John Doe, I thought first of that, then I saw that he is in Denmark and asking about kin in the USA. Isn't easy to do the "mirror" test when you are across the "Pond" from them. :cool:

I generally advise checking for breathing and a pulse, but that's just me. Odds are if you don't have either one of those, the outcome is likely to end up negatively for the patient.

Oh my gosh..you beat me to it. I was just going to say something very similar. We must be related.

• 5 months later...