Worst Adapted Movie You Have Seen?

TL10

It's clear that there are many great movies out there that are adapted from real events, books, games, etc. but there are also many bad movie adaptations as well that are out there. Which film adaptations do you consider the worst that you have seen?

For me the worst adaptation I have seen by far has to be 'The Lightning Theif'. I read the book when I was younger, and when I watched the film, I was especting the enjoyable entertainment that I got from the book. Instead, it was just the same old wasted Hollywood garbage, that was no where near as enjoyable as the book.

tl;dr

-Worst movie adaptation you've seen.

-TL10 did not like 'The Lightning Theif' adaptation.

How about you?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interview With A Vampire.

LOVED the book. NOBODY can compare to Anne Rice. Ever. It was so freaking un-believeable it was insane.

The movie? Well... Let's just say I have never seen too big movie star names run around on TV like their heads were cut off and had never acted before in their life.

I guess Anne liked the movie. I don't know. I thought it was a huge waste of money.

That being said, I don't think there is a movie out there as good as the book.

The Bourne movies were great, still not as great as the books though.

It wasn't a movie adaptation, but Legend of the Seeker had to be one of the worst adaptations of a book series (The Sword of Truth books by Terry Goodkind) I've ever seen. It followed the book for about 2 episodes (with minor deviations as normally expected). Episode 3 takes you into left field. Episode 4, over the stadium walls and into the river....

Regardless, I still think it is a fun show...one that I need to get back into watching, but from an adaptation standpoint, horrendous job.

I don't know, I thought the movies were only marginally worse than the book.

I totally love the original book Dune, though I find Dune Messiah and Children of Dune rather tedious. I don't know if I'll ever get round to reading God Emperor of Dune and the however-many books that follow...

It's clear that there are many great movies out there that are adapted from real events, books, games, etc. but there are also many bad movie adaptations as well that are out there. Which film adaptations do you consider the worst that you have seen?

For me the worst adaptation I have seen by far has to be 'The Lightning Theif'. I read the book when I was younger, and when I watched the film, I was especting the enjoyable entertainment that I got from the book. Instead, it was just the same old wasted Hollywood garbage, that was no where near as enjoyable as the book.

tl;dr

-Worst movie adaptation you've seen.

-TL10 did not like 'The Lightning Theif' adaptation.

How about you?

I just watched The Lightning Thief at Christmas. I've never read the books, but I cringed at how horrible an adaptation it was. It was truly painful. That and Eragon (also haven't read the books) just seemed all over the place, with too many holes, and like they were trying too hard for the movie.

Angels & Demons was a bad adaptation. I went with my best friend to see it in the $1 theater, and there weren't many other people there that night, which was good, because we yelled at the screen a lot.

I don't know, I thought the movies were only marginally worse than the book.

I likecd the movie, i don't compare it to the book because it's not the book.

However i have to say i like the paul in the movie bettter than the paul in the book.

(of course what the author was trying to convey and what the movie producer was trying to convey were almost opposite of each other ^.^)

Video Games gave us DOOM and Mario Brothers. Oh, the horror.

ditto

don't forget tomb-raider :P

Edited by Blackmarch

I just watched The Lightning Thief at Christmas. I've never read the books, but I cringed at how horrible an adaptation it was. It was truly painful. That and Eragon (also haven't read the books) just seemed all over the place, with too many holes, and like they were trying too hard for the movie.

Angels & Demons was a bad adaptation. I went with my best friend to see it in the $1 theater, and there weren't many other people there that night, which was good, because we yelled at the screen a lot.

Agreed, I for one thought that Ron Howard went to far away from the book. The book was definitly far better in that it was darker, had more twists, etc, etc.

What I hated about lightning theif the most was that it sucked out that Harry Potterish ring it had to it. The movie just went on it's own direction. If they had stuck to the original novel, I'd think both Angels and Demons, and The Lighting Theif would A) Gain much more profit from the movie B) Get way better reviews and more people interested in the movie.

Edited by TL10

I totally love the original book Dune, though I find Dune Messiah and Children of Dune rather tedious. I don't know if I'll ever get round to reading God Emperor of Dune and the however-many books that follow...

I hear it just goes down hill after the first one.

Worst as in terrible or worst as in it had nothing to do with the book?

The worst one I can remember is Ten Little Indians. AWFUL movie adaption.

As far as nothing to do with the book but still really good The Rescuers and How to Train Your Dragon I remember being really confused as a kid when I read The Rescuers and really confused last year when I saw a trailor for How to Train Your Dragon. Now I like these movies, but they're way off.

I actually liked the movie Twilight and movie Practical Magic more than the books.

The movie version of Jaws was very different from the original novel by Peter Benchley.

When the movie came out I was only about 10, and though I wasn't allowed to see it my parents oddly enough did allow me read the book (so long as I kept out of the chapter where Ellen and Hooper....well if you've read the book you'll know the chapter I'm referring to!)

When I finally did see the movie a couple of years later, that became the definitive version of the story in my mind...until last year when I finally re-read the book and I was astonished at how different it was. The film makers took little more than the basic premise from the book and wrote a totally different story around it.

The first attempt at Dune was undoubedly the biggest movified atrocity I've ever encountered. Watching dood sit there forcing one eye bug out while we hear the "my name has become a killing word" whisperover, just sort of killed any depth the movie otherwise might have taken from the book.

But my daughter (a short preemie who looks 4 even though she's 7) does a pretty good Alia impression, after a bath, all wrapped up in her hoodie towel, pacing around the house whispering "The spice must flow!"

Jurasic Park the movie was nothing like the book. I absolutly hated the movie the first time I saw it. I have gone back and rewatched it and can now enjoy it for itself, but it has very little in common with what is in the book other than dinosaurs running wild.

Agreed, I for one thought that Ron Howard went to far away from the book. The book was definitly far better in that it was darker, had more twists, etc, etc.

What I hated about lightning theif the most was that it sucked out that Harry Potterish ring it had to it. The movie just went on it's own direction.

I dunno about that. It was still a pretty blatant (and poor) attempt at a Harry Potter ripoff.

The first attempt at Dune was undoubedly the biggest movified atrocity I've ever encountered. Watching dood sit there forcing one eye bug out while we hear the "my name has become a killing word" whisperover, just sort of killed any depth the movie otherwise might have taken from the book.

But my daughter (a short preemie who looks 4 even though she's 7) does a pretty good Alia impression, after a bath, all wrapped up in her hoodie towel, pacing around the house whispering "The spice must flow!"

LOL - the idea that David Lynch's Dune is "a horrible movie" has become a sacred cow amongst movie (and Dune) fans. Though I wouldn't call myself a "Dune fan", I am fond of the original book, so I'm going to commit the unpardonable heresy of saying that I like the 1984 version of Dune!

[There I've said it. Now beat me to death with sand-trout!]

Love in the Time of Cholera was an absolutely horrible: Actors from all of the world who could not do Colombian Spanish accents to save their lives, speaking in English with inaccurate affected accents...

What a catastrophe. So insulting to the literary masterpiece.

I dunno about that. It was still a pretty blatant (and poor) attempt at a Harry Potter ripoff.

Well, the first book (The Lightning Theif) was probobly the equvilant of The Philosipher's Stone, in a way that it was light hearted, yet had a dark side to it as well, just like TPS. At the same time though, it (The Lightning Theif) was completely an original story.

The movie however, was worse than road kill.

LOL - the idea that David Lynch's Dune is "a horrible movie" has become a sacred cow amongst movie (and Dune) fans. Though I wouldn't call myself a "Dune fan", I am fond of the original book, so I'm going to commit the unpardonable heresy of saying that I like the 1984 version of Dune!

[There I've said it. Now beat me to death with sand-trout!]

I grew up on that movie, tron, and the last starfighter.... and all the star trek and starwars movies.

>.>

<.<

I gotta mention i like the new tron too... altho i wish they made it a little more solid in the world being connected with computers (tron 2.0 does a good job at this).