Worst Adapted Movie You Have Seen?

TL10

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be quite an undertaking, probably on the scale of The Lord of the Rings. Excellant books though.

Yeah, it would be a very big challenge to try to put the Underdark on the big screen - I mean, how do you make a movie where most of the setting is in infrared...

I'm a big fan of Drizzt. I still can't believe nobody has made a movie out of him. But that's probably a good thing, because they're probably gonna mess it up too.

For those who don't know Drizzt, I recommend the Dark Elf Trilogy. It's a good read... and then, of course the Crystal Shard and all the rest of that series.

In August I was at a gaming conference and talked with Bob Salvatore, and he mentioned there may be a movie coming out. He's pushed to have Dreamworks do one.

Yeah, it would be a very big challenge to try to put the Underdark on the big screen - I mean, how do you make a movie where most of the setting is in infrared...

Actually that wouldn't be near as difficult now as it was before CG. You ever see video clips taht use night vision or infra vision equipment (thats colored)... you'd probably end up using a lot of those tones so either dep purple-blues or deep reds with slight additions of other colors to keep the monotony out.

altho once you get into the cities you do get some more leeway.

HORRID!

Posted Image

EVEN WORSE!

Posted Image

But someone please explain why I like watching them?

becasue on their own they are still good stories, that are done well. ANd the presentation of the culture and environment suck you in.

Besides I grew up in the desert so i there is a place for it in my heart.

Interview With A Vampire.

LOVED the book. NOBODY can compare to Anne Rice. Ever. It was so freaking un-believeable it was insane.

The movie? Well... Let's just say I have never seen too big movie star names run around on TV like their heads were cut off and had never acted before in their life.

I guess Anne liked the movie. I don't know. I thought it was a huge waste of money.

That being said, I don't think there is a movie out there as good as the book.

The Bourne movies were great, still not as great as the books though.

I'm not a reader. But I've always been a big movie buff and I really enjoyed Interview With A Vampire. I'm not necessarily a Cruise or Pitt fan but I thought both actors did a great job. I can't even count how many times I've watched that movie! Totally epic.

OK I'm going to have to think some more before contributing to this thread.. Hmm.

I've heard rumors they were remaking Interview with the Vampire.

Which reminds me of another horrible one. Cirque Du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant. Terrible, terrible movie adaption. I had a young friend who loved the book series, and the movie came out two days later he entered the MTC. I was given the job of seeing the movie for him and writing to tell him all about it.... it was so awful.

Which reminds me of another horrible one. Cirque Du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant.

The title alone sounds ridiculous and based on that, I doubt I'd watch it.

But I guess it'd be fair to say, if you haven't read "the book", you might not be as disappointed with the film. Like I said, not a bookworm, never enjoyed reading, so I was purely a movie critic. To add to the OP, I can say that practically any movie (regardless of being remade or adapted from a book) will be terrible if the following movie stars are in it: Nicholas Cage, Keanu Reeves, Cameron Diaz, Jay Baruchel.. There are more but that's all I got right now. These guys are the SAME in every movie that they're in. No diversity whatsoever.

But I guess it'd be fair to say, if you haven't read "the book", you might not be as disappointed with the film. Like I said, not a bookworm, never enjoyed reading, so I was purely a movie critic. To add to the OP, I can say that practically any movie (regardless of being remade or adapted from a book) will be terrible if the following movie stars are in it: Nicholas Cage, Keanu Reeves, Cameron Diaz, Jay Baruchel.. There are more but that's all I got right now. These guys are the SAME in every movie that they're in. No diversity whatsoever.

Have you seen "In Her Shoes"? It's got Cameron Diaz in it, and she starts out in the totally annoying ditzy, floozy role that she does so well, but she actually has a lot of character development. It was a pretty good movie.

I actually don't mind Nicholas Cage. I just wish he'd change his hair.

Have you seen "In Her Shoes"? It's got Cameron Diaz in it, and she starts out in the totally annoying ditzy, floozy role that she does so well, but she actually has a lot of character development. It was a pretty good movie.

I actually don't mind Nicholas Cage. I just wish he'd change his hair.

I need to give Cage more credit than the others. Come to think of it, there are a few films that he did a fantastic job in. But I maintain that his acting abilities are lacking diversity. He literally is the same character in every movie—gah!

Diaz "best" movie is probably.. brace yourself.. The Mask with Jim Carrey. But let me explain myself. I say this because for once, she isn't a clueless dumb blonde. She actually portrayed a somewhat confident and strong woman. She hasn't played a like role thereafter.

The book series was actually brilliant--then again, I have a thing for British kiddie lit. But the movie put in some weird monkey girl...

Yes.... those actors are... always the same.

Though Mr. Cage was a little quirky in Raising Arizona.

Which reminds me of another horrible one. Cirque Du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant. Terrible, terrible movie adaption.

I think the rule of thumb is that any movie involving vampires, usually is a horrible movie.

'nuff said.

(inb4: don't forget werewolves too)

Well, since we're coming out of the closet, so to speak, and admitting unpopular likes, then let me just say:

I enjoyed Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy, I thought they did a moderately-ok The Golden Compass movie out of the first book!

I also think there's really nothing wrong with Pullman's work that isn't also wrong with the Harry Potter series.

LM

OK - I'm shamelessly hijacking this thread for give you my opinionated views on Philip Pullman...

I've mixed feelings about His Dark Materials. Pullman is a wonderful writer, but his stories suffer from bad planning. Northern Lights (the book you Yanks call The Golden Compass) was a wonderful opening, but it spreads the canvas so wide that the ending was never going to be satisfactory. The eposodes of Cittagaze and the "Tower of Angels", Lyra's "death", the underworld, the Mulefa are all wonderful in themselves, but tied together with very unconvincing storyline.

I agree the Golden Compass movie was good. It's a pity they didn't finish the trilogy though. I blame the Catholics...