What is God waiting for?

pooter1

I have been watching the news and im just wondering how bad does it have to get before God spreads his wrath? I found this musical that is going to be very disturbing to the lds faith here is the link.It just makes me sick and so sad. [[south Park's Creators New Comedy-Musical - the book of mormon]]. Also this new series called SKINS is about teenagers and drug use and they are having sex with one another and they are saying this will be a hit show????? I don't get it!!!!!

Moderator edit: Have removed the link due to vulgar language

Edited by Mahone

The Lord is mercifully delaying judgment until the wheat can be separated from the tares. The Lord's waiting for us to abandon the world and its ways so we can be gathered and protected. Each of us should ask ourself how much of the world's influence do we permit in our lives. Consider:

1. What are my attitudes about modesty and chastity. Do I still watch R-rated movies and read inappropriate books, magazines, web sites, and other forms of entertainment?

2. Does the music I listen to glamorize depression, suicide, illicit sex, drugs, consumption of alcohol, treatment of women as sexual objects, or violence?

3. Do I follow the prophet's counsel? Have I reduced or eliminated debt? Do I have a year's supply of essential foods or am I at least making progress towards that goal? Do I have a small nest-egg for emergencies?

4. Do I pay tithing and fast offerings? Do I serve in the Church? Am I building the kingdom of God or just showing up? Am I in the Church or is the Church in me?

5. Do I have a current temple recommend? If so, do I go to the temple often enough to make it meaningful in my life?

6. Does the way I dress and speak display a desire to be accepted by the world or to conform to a more godly standard?

7. Is devotion a part of my daily life? Do I pray daily, read scriptures, and feel the Spirit every day? Or is my religious life an afterthought, once work, school, and time with friends is over? Do I keep the Sabbath holy or is it just like any other day?

8. Do I stand up for my beliefs and defend them or do I apologize for them? Were you embarrassed to stand with the Prophet over Proposition 8? Do you feel like the church leaders should mind their own business? Do your political views lead you to criticize the general authorities of the Church?

9. If you're a young person, are you preparing yourself to serve a mission? If you're old enough to serve a mission, but have not done so, why not?

10. Are you intentionally delaying marriage because you're afraid of an eternal commitment and the sacrifices that marriage entails? Are you putting off having children because you want to fill a home full of X-Boxes, big screen TVs, iPads, furniture, fancy cars, and other materialistic pleasures?

i'm sure these questions will make some people squirm a little. Self-reflection on these things is healthy. Until we--the Church members--can be clearly distinguished from the "tares," every day that the Second Coming doesn't happen is a merciful opportunity to repent and improve ourselves.

Edited by spamlds

It has more to do with people being righteous enough to be ready for him, then the wicked in the world.

1 And thus we can behold how false, and also the unsteadiness of the hearts of the children of men; yea, we can see that the Lord in his great infinite goodness doth bless and prosper those who put their trust in him.

2 Yea, and we may see at the very time when he doth prosper his people, yea, in the increase of their fields, their flocks and their herds, and in gold, and in silver, and in all manner of precious things of every kind and art; sparing their lives, and delivering them out of the hands of their enemies; softening the hearts of their enemies that they should not declare wars against them; yea, and in fine, doing all things for the welfare and happiness of his people; yea, then is the time that they do harden their hearts, and do forget the Lord their God, and do trample under their feet the Holy One—yea, and this because of their ease, and their exceedingly great prosperity.

3 And thus we see that except the Lord doth chasten his people with many afflictions, yea, except he doth visit them with death and with terror, and with famine and with all manner of pestilence, they will not remember him.

4 O how foolish, and how vain, and how evil, and devilish, and how quick to do iniquity, and how slow to do good, are the children of men; yea, how quick to hearken unto the words of the evil one, and to set their hearts upon the vain things of the world!

5Yea, how quick to be lifted up in pride; yea, how quick to boast, and do all manner of that which is iniquity; and how slow are they to remember the Lord their God, and to give ear unto his counsels, yea, how slow to walk in wisdom’s paths!

6 Behold, they do not desire that the Lord their God, who hath created them, should rule and reign over them; notwithstanding his great goodness and his mercy towards them, they do set at naught his counsels, and they will not that he should be their guide.

7 O how great is the nothingness of the children of men; yea, even they are less than the dust of the earth.

8 For behold, the dust of the earth moveth hither and thither, to the dividing asunder, at the command of our great and everlasting God.

Edited by tubaloth

I have been watching the news and im just wondering how bad does it have to get before God spreads his wrath? I found this musical that is going to be very disturbing to the lds faith here is the link.It just makes me sick and so sad. [[south Park's Creators New Comedy-Musical - the book of mormon]]. Also this new series called SKINS is about teenagers and drug use and they are having sex with one another and they are saying this will be a hit show????? I don't get it!!!!!

I was thinking about this the other day too. One of the thoughts is that when Jesus comes again we have to already be prepared to establish His rule. This is why when you read about some of the prophesies about the latter days such as those in Isaiah or Revelations there is a lot about rebuilding the temple in Jerusalem and strengthening the stakes of Zion, spreading the coverage of the "tent" so to speak, enough to have enough authority to claim rule over every nation kindred and tongue. That is not to say that we establish authority over every nation, kindred etc before He comes but that there is enough 'infrastructure' established prior to His coming to make His claim. We are almost there, there are a few places in the world though that do not have access to the stakes of Zion or the temples, I believe. ... just a thought.

I was thinking about this the other day too. One of the thoughts is that when Jesus comes again we have to already be prepared to establish His rule. This is why when you read about some of the prophesies about the latter days such as those in Isaiah or Revelations there is a lot about rebuilding the temple in Jerusalem and strengthening the stakes of Zion, spreading the coverage of the "tent" so to speak, enough to have enough authority to claim rule over every nation kindred and tongue. That is not to say that we establish authority over every nation, kindred etc before He comes but that there is enough 'infrastructure' established prior to His coming to make His claim. We are almost there, there are a few places in the world though that do not have access to the stakes of Zion or the temples, I believe. ... just a thought.

Also, things are gonna be a heck of a lot worse in the future. Wars, famines, etc. My seminary teacher last year did a pretty frightening simulation of what the aftermath of Christ's crucifixion was like in North America to the Nephites (basically darkness, and all that), and it scared the heck out of me, and explained that in the last days, our world would be worse than that.

Like I said, we're actually nowhere near the worst that the world can get.

Do we really want God to bring his wrath sooner than later?

Personally I wouldn't mind having more time to repent than less time.

I don't believe that today is any worse/better than centuries ago.... and that includes the Dark Ages.

Even if you were to measure how many bad things happened then versus now, like how many murders, rapes, stealing etc., the issue is that doing bad when there is an opportunity to choose righteousness and gain assistance in choosing righteousness such as the power of the Holy Ghost is worse than doing bad when the help of the gospel and priesthood is not available. ... the whole, where much is given much is expected thing.

Is the world succumbing to darkness more today than ever before? President Packer tells us that this is so:

Melissa Merrill, “Youth Need ‘Inoculation’ Against the World,” Ensign, Apr. 2004, 74–75

President Boyd K. Packer, Acting President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, addressed the need for teachers in the Church Educational System to help “inoculate” young people against the world during a CES devotional held on 6 February 2004.

“These are days of great spiritual danger for our youth,” President Packer said. He said that he knows of no time when worse things were so widely accepted in the world, not even in the time of Sodom and Gomorrah. While evil was localized then, he pointed out, it has now spread across the world.

Although facing evil of “epidemic proportions,” students can be inoculated through a knowledge and testimony of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ, President Packer taught. He also said that while teachers play an important role in fortifying youth, they are not the first line of defense against the effects of the world.

“The Lord places that responsibility on parents first. All the saving ordinances center on the family. The shield of faith is handmade in the cottage [and] … polished in the classroom.”

After relating how he decided on a career in education and sharing some of his experiences as a teacher, President Packer said it may sometimes seem that we are losing the war in maintaining high moral, social, political, and intellectual standards. But, he continued, “Satan cannot win.”

President Packer described the town-wide quarantines of former days against physical illness and outlined the immunity-building power of studying the standard works to guard against spiritual illness. After naming some of the principal doctrines taught in each course of study, President Packer explained that we have not been left without knowledge of what to do.

He quoted Christ’s “supernal prayer” for the Apostles, in which the Savior asked not for them to be taken out of the world, but for them to be sanctified through the truth (see John 17:15–17). He advised teachers against seeking intellectualism without the gospel core and against focusing merely on activities in their teaching.

The task may seem daunting, but teachers should not fear, President Packer said. “For they that be with us are more than they that be with them” (2 Kgs. 6:16).

A testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ can help protect young people against evil, President Packer told teachers in a CES devotional.