Are We Forever Indebted To Christ?

Bini

Now there's a question!

The atonement is required for us to attain Godhood. Without it, the plan and our salvation would fall apart. The word that is associated with this is that this is a "gift" for us. I'm not sure we've been revealed enough to answer this with any sense of accuracy and truth.

Logic say's yes, but it can also be that we are a part of his "progression;" his eternal increase and addition to his Glory.

I kind of feel we will be. Without Christ and the atonement, we would not be returning to our Father in Heaven. But it's a debt I will gladly feel I owe through the eternities.

I may depend what you define as indebted, but I'll always be indebted to my parents for giving me a physical body no matter how long I live. Likewise I never could have been saved without Christ's atonement and as such I will always be indebted to him even if I reach a point in my progression that is the equivalent of moving out of the country and away from him.

Mosiah 2:

21 I say unto you that if ye should serve him who has created you from the beginning, and is preserving you from day to day, by lending you breath, that ye may live and move and do according to your own will, and even supporting you from one moment to another—I say, if ye should serve him with all your whole souls yet ye would be unprofitable servants.

22 And behold, all that he requires of you is to keep his commandments; and he has promised you that if ye would keep his commandments ye should prosper in the land; and he never doth vary from that which he hath said; therefore, if ye do keep his commandments he doth bless you and prosper you.

23 And now, in the first place, he hath created you, and granted unto you your lives, for which ye are indebted unto him.

24 And secondly, he doth require that ye should do as he hath commanded you; for which if ye do, he doth immediately bless you; and therefore he hath paid you. And ye are still indebted unto him, and are, and will be, forever and ever; therefore, of what have ye to boast?

Well, it is written that those who are found worthy...shall be Heirs with Christ and shall be GLORIFIED TOGETHER.

After those who are worthy are presented to the Father by Jesus, then these like like Jesus afterward can have direct access to the Father they being also Gods.

Jesus is not just our Brother but he also holds the Birthright over us....which is authority over us....However, the Father said that it would be His enemies that shall be for His footstool...not His friends.

In Debt to...implies a servant relationship. This changes for the Elect as they become HEIRS With Christ and are Also Glorified with Christ. And we shall always be grateful to the Lord and to the Father for their gift of Salvation.

And they who receive the terrestrial kingdom shall be ministered by Christ and those whom He shall send on missions into that Kingdom. These shall always remain debtors unto Christ. Because they are not heirs neither shall they inherit with the first born.

Hope this helps.

bert10

While in our mortal lives here on this earth, I understand we are indebted to Christ. But will we continue to be indebted to Christ when the Plan of Salvation is complete and we return to our Heavenly Father?

Edited by bert10

While in our mortal lives here on this earth, I understand we are indebted to Christ. But will we continue to be indebted to Christ when the Plan of Salvation is complete and we return to our Heavenly Father?

Technically , yes. However the kind of person christ is is the kind who says, "Pay all you can and that will be all that's required of you"

Let's phrase the question in more immediate terms:

Are you ever truly free of the debt you owe to your mortal parents?

I don't believe that either debt is one that can be repaid- only paid forward to our children and grandchildren, or to society at large.

"Are We Forever Indebted To Christ?"

Is that a serious question?

Of course we are.

The nice thing about this forum, and this thread is that we went beyond "of course we are" to giving scriptures and quotes to support our conclusions. This was an both enlightening and educational. I can say that I benefited from this discussion.

The nice thing about this forum, and this thread is that we went beyond "of course we are" to giving scriptures and quotes to support our conclusions. This was an both enlightening and educational. I can say that I benefited from this discussion.

My first thought when reading the question was, "Hasn't the OP ever read Mosiah?"

Gospel 101:

You will be forever indebted to The Savior.

I like the forum too, but some of the questions... Really?

My first thought when reading the question was, "Hasn't the OP ever read Mosiah?"

Gospel 101:

You don't know whether I'm LDS, non-LDS or an investigator. To assume that I should know better because an answer is found within Mosiah is pretty arrogant of you.

Gospel 101:

Not everyone:

A) Is LDS/Christian.

B) Is Active LDS or Christian.

C) Remembers the scriptures particularly well or is familiar with searching techniques to find answers within them.

D) Hasn't been the victim of some false or confusing teachings.

You don't know whether I'm LDS, non-LDS or an investigator. To assume that I should know better because an answer is found within Mosiah is pretty arrogant of you.

You are:

Female.

Married.

LDS.

Inactive-but-trying-to-become-active-again after 25 of inactivity or so.

So based upon your own words I can conclude that you are in fact LDS. Right?

That being said; if I offended you I apologize. And I tend to forget that not everyone on these forums:

"A) Is LDS/Christian.

"B) Is Active LDS or Christian.

"C) Remembers the scriptures particularly well or is familiar with searching techniques to find answers within them.

"D) Hasn't been the victim of some false or confusing teachings."

This is an LDS Gospel discussion forum after all. I don't find myself on a Baptist forum asking them questions.

Apologies though.

This is an LDS Gospel discussion forum after all. I don't find myself on a Baptist forum asking them questions.

Apologies though.

If you had questions about Baptist doctrine asking on a Baptist forum would be one of the better places to go. This is a forum for discussion of LDS Gospel/Doctrine (Note the subheading for the forum: "Discuss LDS teachings. Ask questions about LDS theology or doctrine."), not a Member's only Gospel Discussion forum. Tis an important distinction.

I bring this up as you seem to be suggesting that since this is a LDS Gospel discussion forum that the only participants should be LDS. And if say a Baptist had some questions he should go ask them at a Baptist board. Maybe I'm misreading your statement though.

Edited by Dravin

Guest LDS_Guy_1986

This is a good question and we do not have an definite answer.

On a realistic measure when we are washed of our sins the never happened in Christ eyes so we are literally perfect after the Day of Judgement if we obtain the highest degree of glory and become a god (you cannot attain godhood if you have any imperfections at all).

On the flip side though, we cannot obtain that state of godhood without the atonement of Christ so while we are still not in debt to him we still owe him our praise, honor, and glory as the means bu which to attain celestial glory.

Even though we receive all he does as joint-heirs of Christ he is still our Lord and Savior for all eternity in my opinion and I will always praise him even thought I am no longer indebted to him since I have no sin through the atonement and exaltation.