1st calling and a request

I promise not to post every time I have a new 'first,' but since this is my first first, I'm excited. I was worried about what kind of calling I'd get and today I was called to be the person who calls up members and asks them to feed the missionaries. OK, I can do that. :D

Personally, I'd feed the missionaries every night if I could. I love having them over, I give them a bag of food whenever they come over, and I so worry that they don't get enough decent food, this is a great calling for me because now I know they will be fed. :lol:

I got a request to go with some other missionaries to visit an investigator. They heard me speak at my baptism and thought I had something to offer. I don't know that I do, but I'm willing to go and do what I can. I gather the woman is around my age, so maybe my presence will help. As you all know, I wasn't real thrilled about having young people come preach to me (I've admitted to being wrong about that, so mea culpa), so I can understand how having an older person along might be appreciated. I just hope I don't mess up.

Dahlia don't you ever worry that we would get annoyed about hearing about your "firsts." We want to share in the joy too.

Congrats on your first calling. What a perfect match for you.

Congrats, It sounds like you will be good at it. Do not forget to take the list by the Primary. :))) When I have served in the Primary I sometimes would never see the missionaries' list.

So, apparently there is a ward directory online that I'm supposed to use. Considering this, should I still make an effort to contact the folks serving in the Primary, or will I get around to them at some point?

I know in the wards i have been in..they passed around in Relief Society a monthly calendar with the dates marked that the missionaries needed meals. People would sign up for one of the days. If not all the days needed had a volunteer, then they started making phone calls..or contacted those in Primary that would not have seen the calendar in Relief Society.

I would suggest what pam said. Pass the calendar around RS then take it to Primary and Young Women's. For any days that are not filled, then phone calls can be made.

In our ward, the families who sign up to feed the missionaries, put their name, dinner time and phone number on the calendar. Then a copy of that is given to the missionaries. The missionaries then call that family the night before to confirm dinner time. Your ward may do something differently. I would check with either the RS president or the person who did it before (or both) to find out any specifics for your ward.

Congrats on your firsts!

Maybe we're more hi-tech. I've been going to church for a few months now and only missed 1 Sunday. I've never seen a meal signup sheet in RS, though I have seen sheets for other purposes. Obviously I have to talk to the person who's currently doing the work, but I think she must do it differently.

So, I got a call from one of the brothers saying I need to be set aside and blessed next Sunday after church. Do people get a blessing for each calling? Cool! I'll take all I can get.

Congrats on the calling.

I am going to tell a story of my mission because I hope it will help you in your calling.

When I was a missionary, the ward had a similar program and a calendar was passed around and people signed up to feed the missionaries. The problem was, there were 4 missionaries in that ward, and my companion and I were new to the ward, and no one told us about the calendar. We ended up standing up a family and it really offended them and we had a hard time being effective in the ward after that. It was horrible. I don't blame the coordinator at all. It was just a miscommunication, but you can see how it can have a real impact on the ward and the missionary program.

So, please, please, please, coordinate with the missionaries, and remind them with a call of who they are having dinner with, and make sure they don't have prior engagements. They are busy and sometimes overbook their time, so you can be a big help in juggling their schedule.

This is also a reminder that no calling is trivial, and you can make a real impact in your ward with this calling. I know you will be great.

I got a request to go with some other missionaries to visit an investigator. They heard me speak at my baptism and thought I had something to offer. I don't know that I do, but I'm willing to go and do what I can. I gather the woman is around my age, so maybe my presence will help. As you all know, I wasn't real thrilled about having young people come preach to me (I've admitted to being wrong about that, so mea culpa), so I can understand how having an older person along might be appreciated. I just hope I don't mess up.

You'll do fine. Enjoy the teaching moment as you can share your own search for your testimony.

As far as filling the missionary dinner calendar, I'd recommend an emphasis in inviting the "Missionary Spirit" into their home and sharing a meal, instead of just "feeding" them.

Just my opinion.

Maybe we're more hi-tech. I've been going to church for a few months now and only missed 1 Sunday. I've never seen a meal signup sheet in RS, though I have seen sheets for other purposes. Obviously I have to talk to the person who's currently doing the work, but I think she must do it differently.

So, I got a call from one of the brothers saying I need to be set aside and blessed next Sunday after church. Do people get a blessing for each calling? Cool! I'll take all I can get.

Yes it's being called set apart. They do this for each calling.

Lucky! In the mission I live in, members are no longer permitted to feed the Missionaries (per the Mission President).

Why is that? You'd think people would want to feed them and that they would want to be fed. It's such a good opportunity to get to know them and get a nice lesson or discussion. Too bad.

Why is that? You'd think people would want to feed them and that they would want to be fed. It's such a good opportunity to get to know them and get a nice lesson or discussion. Too bad.

The reasoning is usually that they could be spending less time at the Member's house eating dinner and more time out proselyting. Eating at 'home' takes less time usually.

Dahlia! What a wonderful calling! This is awesome!!! It's the perfect first calling.

And yes, like Pam said, we would want to hear about all your firsts - and even seconds and thirds - anything in your spiritual progression!

I have a few thoughts on this too:

Yes, you can get the complete ward roster, and all the ward rosters in your Stake (with names, addresses, phone numbers, and email address) from lds.org. You need your baptismal certificate - it has a member number (or is it member ID) in there and you need it to create an account. Your member number will determine which Stake will be accessible to you.

In our ward, we do the calendar method also. But it usually is stuck on the announcement wall (next to the materials library), then it gets passed around in Sunday School time. A lot of the couples are in the same class so it is easier for them to plan a date (instead of having to check with the spouse and remembering to sign up on the calendar on the 2nd go round). Then the coordinator checks the calendar for the next week to find empty days and calls members to fill the next week up so the members/missionaries always have a week notice.

Also, single women cannot have male missionaries over in their house unless the missionaries have members that go with them (I think they have to be female as well - not really sure). This is also the same for single male members and sister missionaries. But, they can take the missionaries out to dinner at a restaurant or somewhere public, or just deliver food to the missionaries.

Hope this helps!

Also, single women cannot have male missionaries over in their house unless the missionaries have members that go with them (I think they have to be female as well - not really sure). This is also the same for single male members and sister missionaries.

The 'extra' person needs to be of the same sex as the missionaries and they need not be a member. Actually it is preferable that they not be a member as it gives the missionaries face time with a non-member even if no proselyting is going on.

Edited by Dravin

Must be somewhere in Utah.

You silly person you :) The California, Arcadia mission. And yes, it's because they want the Elders engaged in the work of helping to bring people into the church. Not to work on those who are already in it and active. At least that's the idea. But each mission has it's own approach to what's appropriate for it's missionaries according to it's local congregations. For here, that's what has been decided. Your needs may vary.

In our ward, we do the calendar method also. But it usually is stuck on the announcement wall (next to the materials library), then it gets passed around in Sunday School time. A lot of the couples are in the same class so it is easier for them to plan a date (instead of having to check with the spouse and remembering to sign up on the calendar on the 2nd go round).

Also, single women cannot have male missionaries over in their house unless the missionaries have members that go with them (I think they have to be female as well - not really sure).

So, now I know we must be a little different in getting names because it was specifically mentioned to me that our many stay-at-home moms would have to check with their husbands for a good day. This would indicate to me that no signup sheet is passed around where both are present.

Also, I'm a single woman and have had the missionaries over several times, outside of lessons. I guess if the person was single w/no kids it would be an issue, but the missionaries can come over when my son is home. He doesn't eat with us (more's the pity), but he is in the house and will take them home. When teaching a lesson when my son wasn't home, they would often bring a man from the ward; it didn't have to be a female.

And yes, it's because they want the Elders engaged in the work of helping to bring people into the church. Not to work on those who are already in it and active. At least that's the idea. But each mission has it's own approach to what's appropriate for it's missionaries according to it's local congregations. For here, that's what has been decided. Your needs may vary.

I was told that they should be fed most nights of the week, with the thinking that we want their money to go as far as possible and not all have to be spent on food. We are in the Midwest. We are a thrifty people. :D

So, now I know we must be a little different in getting names because it was specifically mentioned to me that our many stay-at-home moms would have to check with their husbands for a good day. This would indicate to me that no signup sheet is passed around where both are present.

Also, I'm a single woman and have had the missionaries over several times, outside of lessons. I guess if the person was single w/no kids it would be an issue, but the missionaries can come over when my son is home. He doesn't eat with us (more's the pity), but he is in the house and will take them home. When teaching a lesson when my son wasn't home, they would often bring a man from the ward; it didn't have to be a female.

By the way, Dahlia... this is YOUR calling now. So, yes, it is good to ask how it has been done before to learn what works best in your ward. But, you can, of course, come up with your own way of accomplishing the calling. It is always encouraged to "magnify" your calling - do it to the best way you know how asking God for guidance.

So, I went out to visit this investigator last night with this other set of elders. Boy, was it humbling. She really knew her Bible and I learned a lot just listening to her. She ended up helping me and giving me ways on how to make time to read more Scripture, etc. I admit to being a little disconcerted coming to her home; pretty much everyone I know know lives the way I do (or better) and it was a shock to see someone with so little.

If she converts, she'll do so from a much higher place of faith and belief than I'm ever likely to reach. I've been thinking of this visit all night. I'm glad I went, not because of what I could teach, but what I learned.

dahlia, hi I havent been keeping up the boards in here, so you were baptised thats awesome Im so happy and glad for you. Enjoy your memembership and your new callings and future calling. Im sure you will do a great job. Enjoy your journey. Oh I have been wanting to ask u this, are u the dahlia from the radio station?

dahlia, hi I havent been keeping up the boards in here, so you were baptised thats awesome Im so happy and glad for you. Enjoy your memembership and your new callings and future calling. Im sure you will do a great job. Enjoy your journey. Oh I have been wanting to ask u this, are u the dahlia from the radio station?

She already answered this quite awhile ago on another thread. No she is not.

Most wards pass around the list in Sunday School or Relief Society and then if no one signs up for a day the person that is handling it then calls people to ask.

I agree there are many people who are teaching at the time it is being passed around so be sure to catch those people every now and then

Now a pet peeve about the missionary calendar:

Unfortunatly since both my wife and I work (we're older with no kids at home) and don't get home until after 6:30 at the earliest, we can only feed the missionaries on weekends. Yet weekends are always taken way in advance, thus we almost never are able to feed the missionaries. Come on people; if you can feed the missionaries on a weeknight, please do so and leave the missionaries free on weekends for people like us.