The Robe

Saldrin

I just finished reading the Robe by Lloyd Douglas.

The story of the Roman soldier Marcellus and his slave Demetrius. They had to participate in the crucifixion during which Marcellus won the robe of Christ. After returning home Marcellus ends up going to Judea again to learn about the life of Christ, and ends up becoming converted. The fun part for me was as the author had the character learning the events of the life of Jesus, I was reading them in the scriptures also :D sorry for the short report but I did love this book. It was originally published in 1942 If i remember right. the copy i read is my mothers she bought it in 1960 and it was printed in 53 (even had a buy war bonds for victory ad on the back of the dust jacket from the Korean war!) Anyhow sorry for the short book report never was very good at them! :scribe:

Have and also read the book AND the movie

(books are always best for depth and then there is the hard part where the movie can hardly live up to the pictures you make in your mind-

but if the plot is good enough (and they don't change it that much) a movie after reading the book is like getting a familiar story told years later by a different character- the things they share are different etc.

I think anyone would enjoy either the Book or the Movie, but I was a bit sad that they seemed to make the robe a bit of magic or talisman- instead of the TEACHINGS and LIFE of our Savior. : /

Have and also read the book AND the movie

(books are always best for depth and then there is the hard part where the movie can hardly live up to the pictures you make in your mind-

but if the plot is good enough (and they don't change it that much) a movie after reading the book is like getting a familiar story told years later by a different character- the things they share are different etc.

I think anyone would enjoy either the Book or the Movie, but I was a bit sad that they seemed to make the robe a bit of magic or talisman- instead of the TEACHINGS and LIFE of our Savior. : /

I couldn't agree more. This happened with the Tolkien trilogy when they were made into movies but I think that the Hobbit was the best of them and can't wait for the movie!!!

• 3 months later...

The Robe by Lloyd C. Douglas

Why I picked up this book: This book was on my shelf for a long time. I put it on my self after my brother-in-law read it and really enjoyed it. It sat on my shelf because it never really grabbed me after cracking it open. I picked this book up again because od Saldrin.

Why I finished this book: I really liked other books such as The Shadow of the Galilean but I really wasn’t too into this book until I discovered more as I read. It was interesting how the historical life of an innocent man was documented in this book. That’s what made it worth reading to me.

General Thoughts: It was rather slow for me at first. If you can get past the beginning and see this book for what it was, it’s about a skeptic that grows into belief in Jesus. It was fun for me to read. Thank you Saldrin! :)

Rating: I’d give it a 4 out of 5 star rating. I glad I read it.

• 2 weeks later...

My feelings on this book were kind of meh, it was okay. It was interesting to read a Bible-based, historical-fiction novel from the perspective of a Lutheran minister though. What it really did for me was give me the desire to read some more definitive historical works on early Christianity. If anyone has some good suggestions, i'd love to hear them.