Looking For Holy Friendship

So I am about to visit the Mormon church here in Boise, I hope. I just arrived here yesterday so I haven't yet but look forward to it. What I'm wondering right now is:

What if I don't have formal clothing to wear?

What if I have a few differences in theology? Nothing serious but for example, I will allways honor the Seventh Day Sabbath. Keep in mind I will never try and persuade others with Seventh Day Sabbath observence or anything else for that matter but what do you think my experience will be in your fellowship. That may be the only thing accually, since I can't think of anything else. I will allways be respectfull to your obedience to the Mormon faith!!!

Will I eventually have to become a "Mormon" and wholeheartedly submit in every way in order to fellowship? I like being "Non-Denominational" and there will never be anyone who takes presidence over the Holy Spirit when it comes to my interpretations of the teachings of Christ.

So how do you think my experience will go? Of course I realize this may have alot to do with location - Boise, ID.

We'll see, but I can't wait to fellowship with people who are so commited to our God. I really think this will turn out great.

So I am about to visit the Mormon church here in Boise, I hope. I just arrived here yesterday so I haven't yet but look forward to it. What I'm wondering right now is:

What if I have a few differences in theology? Nothing serious but for example, I will allways honor the Seventh Day Sabbath. Keep in mind I will never try and persuade others with Seventh Day Sabbath observence or anything else for that matter but what do you think my experience will be in your fellowship. That may be the only thing accually, since I can't think of anything else. I will allways be respectfull to your obedience to the Mormon faith!!!

Will I eventually have to become a "Mormon" and wholeheartedly submit in every way in order to fellowship? I like being "Non-Denominational" and there will never be anyone who takes presidence over the Holy Spirit when it comes to my interpretations of the teachings of Christ.

So how do you think my experience will go? Of course I realize this may have alot to do with location - Boise, ID.

We'll see, but I can't wait to fellowship with people who are so commited to our God. I really think this will turn out great.

We just had a talk last Sunday that was amazing to me. The speaker told us of this one guy in a ward in Utah who has been going to this ward of the LDS Church for TWENTY-FIVE YEARS... Everybody thought he was a member but he doesn't really follow the Word of Wisdom (no coffee, tea, smoking, alcohol, etc. etc.) and he always refused callings. So, finally, after 25 years, the bishop asked him why he doesn't accept callings and he said - well, I've never been baptized!

Well, he got baptized that month! LOL.

And about the thing to wear. Don't worry about it. Just try to look presentable - that is, clean clothes - you know, like something you would wear to the office. You might feel a little awkward because most men wear white shirt with a suit and tie. Most women wear long skirts. So, you might stand out a bit if you're wearing something that's not "normal" - but as long as you're ok with being different, then everything should be good!

Also, don't feel pressured to join or be baptized or even get missionaries to come visit. Do it if you want to for your own personal spiritual inquiries - not because somebody else said you should...

Also, there would be lots of lessons and such that you might find wierd or crazy or whatever - just remember, these are things that ward's membership believes in and you don't have to believe in it too.

HAVE FUN!

And about the thing to wear. Don't worry about it. Just try to look presentable - that is, clean clothes - you know, like something you would wear to the office. You might feel a little awkward because most men wear white shirt with a suit and tie. Most women wear long skirts. So, you might stand out a bit if you're wearing something that's not "normal" - but as long as you're ok with being different, then everything should be good!

Also, don't feel pressured to join or be baptized or even get missionaries to come visit. Do it if you want to for your own personal spiritual inquiries - not because somebody else said you should...

Also, there would be lots of lessons and such that you might find wierd or crazy or whatever - just remember, these are things that ward's membership believes in and you don't have to believe in it too.

HAVE FUN!

Sounds good. I think I may be able to find something appropriate to wear.

The main thing to me is the fellowship. I'm not as concerned about the teachings or lessons or anything else, as much as I am about just getting to know the Mormons and how they conduct thier personal lives.

- Away from church, do you fit right in with the world and like the same things the world likes? What kinds of music do you listen to? Do you love to praise and worship our God, or do you rather worldly music? What kind of entertainment do you like?

- What is your prayer life like away from church? Do you gather at each others homes or wherever to pray on a regular basis, and for fellowship as well?

If you don't mind me asking (and I really don't mean to go off on a tanget, but...) what do you mean by "Seventh Day Sabbath"? I'm not familiar with that term. :)

When the sun goes down on Friday night till the sun goes down Saturday night is what I call the Sabbath Day and I honor it with all of my heart. It is the Fourth Commandment of the ten that God said would never change. It's a day that I like to plan ahead and think of something special to do with my Father. It's not a legalistic thing and there is no set agenda but normally I like to read scripture from the book of Genesis as well as Exodus and Dueteronomy. My primary focus though is crying out to God for a deeper revelation of the Lamb. I want to understand just how important his death... and ressurection is to our salvation. I cry out to God for these things as well as others. It's the day that I reflect on life and give God all the praise and worship He is so worthy of.

But I'm not extremely legalistic about it and will also gather on Sunday with other believers from different denominations. I think working on this day can also be justified as long as I give to God's Kingdom the exact amount of the gross pay. So, it's more about the honoring of God and His Holy Sabbath Day, rather than being all wrapped up with the legalistic issues.

Sounds good. I think I may be able to find something appropriate to wear.

The main thing to me is the fellowship. I'm not as concerned about the teachings or lessons or anything else, as much as I am about just getting to know the Mormons and how they conduct thier personal lives.

- Away from church, do you fit right in with the world and like the same things the world likes? What kinds of music do you listen to? Do you love to praise and worship our God, or do you rather worldly music? What kind of entertainment do you like?

- What is your prayer life like away from church? Do you gather at each others homes or wherever to pray on a regular basis, and for fellowship as well?

We believe in being "in the world but not of the world." so we fit in socially, but our 13th article of faith states that "If there is anything virtuous, lovely or of good work , or praiseworthy, we seek after these things." so we seek out uplifting music, both spiritual and secular. We avoid R-rated moves, and these days, a lot of PG movies and a lot of TV as well. We don't drink or smoke, so we tend not to be big partiers. We generally don't swear, and say things like "oh my heck" and "gosh". But, our members are involved in business (Marriott), politics (Romney, Hatch, Reed), entertainment (Donny and Marie, Gladys Knight). Those who tend to live worldly lives end up distancing themselves from the church.

We set aside Monday evenings as Family Home Evening, and we dedicate that night to spend with our families. In my family, we prayed at every meal, and had evening prayer. My parents prayed as a couple, and we are all encouraged to pray continually.

We also have a Home Teaching program where two elders are assigned a set of families to visit and pray with at least once a month. There is a similar program called Visiting Teaching which is run by the womens' group (Relief Society).

Edited by bytebear

I'm glad to hear you want to visit an LDS church. Welcome! :)

Here is a fun video from Mormons Made Simple showing what a typical meeting house service is like: Mormons Made Simple

Regarding "getting to know the Mormons and how they conduct thier personal lives", I learned (and am learning) the most by going to church on a regular basis, being active with church activities, reading LDS literature, and simply having a good time with other LDS.

You mentioned "My primary focus though is crying out to God for a deeper revelation of the Lamb. I want to understand just how important his death... and ressurection is to our salvation. I cry out to God for these things as well as others"Reading the Book of Mormon and/or meeting with the Missionaries might be an idea as well.

Have fun!

then choose the next best thing you have, no biggy.

shouldn't be too much of a big deal during fellowshipping, altho if you're in a discussion group or at a meeting it may help to identify yourself as a non-denominational, or that you haven't joinede any church, before making a remark on theology so others don't get the idea you're some crazy mormon.

;P

Will I eventually have to become a "Mormon" and wholeheartedly submit in every way in order to fellowship?

just to fellowship? no.

However if you want to be able to gain all the blessings from the gospel, then at some point you'll have to be first baptized by proper authority... which by our understanding only the LDS Church has. (which would be joining the church ;) )

I like being "Non-Denominational" and there will never be anyone who takes presidence over the Holy Spirit when it comes to my interpretations of the teachings of Christ.

good. I would not want you to join the LDS church or any other church for any other reason other than Being guided by the holy spirit

Probably will be a crazy learning experience. My experience with LDS groups has been pretty good. So I think you'll benefit from such an association. Edited by Blackmarch