Orson Scott Card fans?

I figured since he's another high profile Mormon, there might be some here who love his books as much as I do. Orson Scott Card is a science fiction and fantasy writer with a special affinity for world history. His claim to fame was the Hugo and Nebula award winning Ender's Game which has now become a whole series of books.

The Alvin Maker series is staged on an alternate history of the United States. It features a gifted boy who can heal and even bring life to unliving objects. He becomes a man destined to build the Crystal City.

The Homecoming series is the stories of the Book of Mormon played out in a futuristic setting.

Saints is about an English immigrant to America who sets out with Joseph Smith's followers and becomes the first sister wife of the famed prophet.

Lost Boys Is a book about a Mormon family in Steuben, NC who find themselves right in the middle of a community frightened by the mysterious disappearance of 6 little boys.

So many wonderful books that I've read ever since I was a boy, and he still is a wildly popular author today.

Am I the only drooling fan here?

The Alvin Maker series is staged on an alternate history of the United States. It features a gifted boy who can heal and even bring life to unliving objects. He becomes a man destined to build the Crystal City.

What is interesting about that series is the allusions to Church History contained therein. The two rape scenes kinda squicked me out though.

Edited by Dravin

I'm a big Ender fan...

He is really great at giving characterization... that is, you can really feel the difference between Ender talking versus his sister talking versus his brother talking, etc. They are very distinct personalities and they interact with each other in a unique way.

My biggest beef with a lot of writers is that every single character in the story talks/thinks the same way. The characterization of each individual player in the story is made very obvious that they end up getting boxed in the character but still thinks/acts like every other character in the book.

Ok, I'm not sure I'm making any sense...

Wow! I'm more than a little delighted at these responses. I'm in good company.

Nobody yet has said they read Lost Boys. I would heartily recommend this book. It's very sad, but also very inspiring. Step Fletcher is a software writer for computer games in the 1980's and he moves his family to Steuben because of a new job. He has a lovely wife and three, soon to be four kids. Mormons.

The antics of a certain woman in the local church ward adds some hilarious comic relief. She fancies herself a prophetess and she spins her little webs, intimidates the bishop until she gets her way on things, and generally tests the patience of other church members. The story isn't how she makes Mormons look bad. The story is how tolerant Mormons are for not publically stoning her.

Another character is a teacher that shouldn't be a teacher. Each year, she will select one student to be the recipient of her most vicious abuse. This year, she chose the wrong child, one whose parents would end her reign of terror for good.

Yet another character is a young man who takes all too rapidly to certain aspects of the LDS church, particularly the notion that Mormons are the only people who understand his potential godhood. He means no harm and he's a nice enough person, when medicated.

Card presents a normal, down to earth, Mormon family, a church ward that is full of wonderful people..and a few nuts mixed in, and a dysfunctional new workplace for Step, all as a backdrop for a more chilling narrative.

Little boys in Steuben are disappearing without explanation, and parents are terrified their child will be next!

I'm a big Ender fan...

He is really great at giving characterization... that is, you can really feel the difference between Ender talking versus his sister talking versus his brother talking, etc. They are very distinct personalities and they interact with each other in a unique way.

My biggest beef with a lot of writers is that every single character in the story talks/thinks the same way. The characterization of each individual player in the story is made very obvious that they end up getting boxed in the character but still thinks/acts like every other character in the book.

Ok, I'm not sure I'm making any sense...

Yes, out of all of Card's works, the Ender Wiggin series will always be my favorite. Card is a master at character development. I love Sister Carlotta, a Catholic nun who becomes the mentor for Bean. Card is obviously a great admirer of the Catholic Church. I'm also fond of Petra who remains haunted by her failure while fighting the buggers but makes up for it by helping to bring down a new threat to humanity. I could go on and on...

Yes, out of all of Card's works, the Ender Wiggin series will always be my favorite. Card is a master at character development. I love Sister Carlotta, a Catholic nun who becomes the mentor for Bean. Card is obviously a great admirer of the Catholic Church. I'm also fond of Petra who remains haunted by her failure while fighting the buggers but makes up for it by helping to bring down a new threat to humanity. I could go on and on...

Hah hah... yeah, he likes to use the Catholic church for his characterizations. It is always done as a respectful thing though, so it's all cool.

I haven't read Lost Boys - I'll pick that one up.

I liked Ender's game very much, but not the other books in the series.

I read Lost Boys and didn't care for it.

My favorite book by OSC is Enchantment. Wow!

HiJolly

Yes. I read that book when I was serving in Fort Bragg. It's a great story and I'm not usually the sappy type that goes for love stories. I love Baba Yaga's demise in the end.

I've read

*Ender's game (and sequels - don't bother with the sequils),

*Saints (great book on polygamy and what it was like in the early church),

*The women in Genesis series (Sarah, Rebekah, Rachel and Leah - WONDERFUL books, so much better than stuff like "The Red Tent" that tried to do something similar, loved how he incorporated Pearl of Great Price stuff in with the OT - didn't really change anything, added so much to it all)

*Enchanted - fun way to tie a bunch of tales together, cute :)

*Lost Boys - a bit creepy, crazy look into a darker side of being LDS, but liked it.

*Tales of Alvin Maker series - LOL, I read these before I joined the church, so the first time through there were a few "huh?" moments... had to go back and re-read them after I joined the church to really get what was happening ;)

what am I forgetting.... yea, love Orson Scott Card, he can get a little warped at times, but I still love him :). One of the members in our ward was his missionary companion :)

As I understand it, Orson's mission was to Brazil and he includes Portugese in some of his writings. I'm not a Mormon and so some of the imagery from the BOM and Doctrines and Covenants that he incorporates into his writings, such as the Worthing Saga, go right over my head. It wasn't until I was into the 2nd Homecoming book that I realized the story mirrored the relationship of young Nephi and his family. I suppose I would enjoy his works even more if I had that inside knowledge.

I have read quite a bit of OSC's work, and I have enjoyed most of it. However there are some books that he has written that were a bit much. And some of the short stories in his anthology "Maps in a Mirror" were a bit over the top as well. I would say that most of his work is fantastic, but some of it you have to be careful of.

It's hard to know what characters reflect Card's true personality. I like to think that Step Fletcher is how Orson Card really is, a faithful Mormon, family man, and works for himself. But then you have:

Taleswapper, who is a hero in the Alvin Maker series, exhibits a contempt for organized religion and sees God and Satan as being on an even par in gaining his approval.

Jason Worthing who is made into a god by the primitive society he founded on a terraformed planet. Is this a parody on how easily men make gods?

Ender Wiggin whose father was a Catholic and Mother a Mormon, yet he remains aloof and uncommitted, not even sure if God exists.

Are these characters reflections of other viewpoints Card has towards religion?

And then there's Joseph Smith (Saints) who, when you met him, would rip off his shirt and wrestle with you to see what you were made of. He roared as often as he spoke, having the passion of a pride of untamed lions. He was rough around the edges, his language could get a little salty, and he heartily disdained authority. Is this the Joseph Smith that founded the LDS church?

I love Orson Scott Card's characters, mostly because they are so darn original.