When to be sealed?

Bbnyrse

Hi, I'm 26 weeks pregnant with my first child. My husband was inactive when we met and we were civiilly married. Since getting pregnant he has worked very hard to gain a testimony for himself and decide if he wants to be a full fledged member again. ( side note: he is a wonderful man, kind, caring. Has no vices to give up for the church. Just stubbornness and doubt). Up till December we had only been paying tithing on my income because he was still unsure. In December we began paying a full tithe. My husband is now ready to receive the Melchezidek priesthood, but they want us to pay a full tithe until April. I am due the beginning of May.

My question is: my mother-in-law is the only one on my husbands side thAt can attend the sealing and she is in Utah, we are in California. She is coming out with tbd birth of our son. Should we get sealed before the baby is born ( and pray he does not come early) or wait until shortly after he is born ( and I am still recovering) so my Mother-in-law can attend?

Personally I'd do it before. I've been waiting a long time to be sealed to my family and I think once we all have the go ahead I'm not going to wait an extra second. Plus, the idea of recovering from birth (bleeding) and wearing white doesn't appeal to me (though it's not the end of the world). It'd be nice to have your mother in law there but that's really not what it's about. Are you sure your husband will be able to have a temple recommend immediately?

I'd say before also - as soon as your husband gets the recommend. I got sealed to my husband 3 weeks before having the baby (I was a convert). We wanted the baby to be born under the covenant. In my mind, that's more important than having the in-laws there.

I'd say before also - as soon as your husband gets the recommend. I got sealed to my husband 3 weeks before having the baby (I was a convert). We wanted the baby to be born under the covenant. In my mind, that's more important than having the in-laws there.

But a baby born in the covenant or sealed to his/her parents three weeks later has the same blessing status.

But a baby born in the covenant or sealed to his/her parents three weeks later has the same blessing status.

Yes, just like a sealing that occured with or without the mother-in-law has the same blessing status...

Not quite sure what you're trying to say.

Thank you for your input. To answer your question, my Husband will be able to get his recommend once he gets the priesthood. My Bishop has set up a temple prep class that will meet a few times a week so that he can get it all before April comes. I have still not decided when to do the sealing. I do want to have the baby born in the covenant but I also want to have my Mother-in-law involved. My husband and she are the only active members of their family. My family will be there, they live much closer. I have decided to call the temple and see if hey will reserve us two dates, just in case. I am praying about it and really feel like the answer will come, I just need to be patiemt. Thank You, again.

Also remember that if you'll be sealed after the baby is born that someone at the temple will need to care for your baby in the temple for about 2 hours before you're sealed while you receive your endowments. Make sure you're comfortable with that. My family was sealed when I was 10, my sister was 5 and my brother was only a month old. I remember the women were really great with him and us girls and it was a fun, calm environment while waiting. There were books and toys and several women to watch us.

An other logistical question. Does your mother in law have a set date she is coming or is she waiting for you to go into labor or are you haveing a c-section? How long is she staying? If there is no set date on her returning or if she plans on staying a month or so, it won't be hard to find a date that works well for all of you. But, is there is the possibility that you mother in law comes a week before your due, and you don't go into labor and your ob-gyn won't induce you until your 42 weeks along and then your mother in law has to leave in a week, that might make it hard.

• 2 weeks later...

They might want a birth certificate, and you need a special living ordinance recommend from your bishop and stake president.

I'm not positive about the birth certificate, my kids were adopted, and we brought all of the paperwork for that...birth cert. court docs. our marriage license

I do have to say that getting sealed isn't complicated at all, they even have temple clothes there for kids to get sealed in if you need them. (well, they do at the temple we got sealed at) It is just lovely, sisters everywhere to take care of your every need, so there is nothing to worry about.

The temple will mail you a list of everything you will need...everything will be prepared before you get there.

Wait a sec. it just occured to me, do you mean yours 'through marriage' because they are a step-child? If so then you have to have documented permission from the other parent, or like me, they can be adopted by the non-biological parent. I think the permission issue is different if the son/daughter is an adult.

Edited by jayanna