What do you think?

ZionWoman

I attend a small branch and our primary in very small. There are 4 regularly attending primary and nursery, 2 of which are mine. My one child graduated from nursery to primary this year but has not been moved up. I just found out that they are keeping him in nursery because it's just easier. He wouldn't be able to keep up with the lesson.

Because we are so small, there is only the primary presidency. There are three of them and they do all the teaching, sharing time, music, etc. One of them lives an hour away and is often not there at all. I am a little concerned that my son is not being moved up. He is allowed to play in nursery for almost the whole time. It's more like baby sitting or a play date with a short spiritual thought.

I don't know what to think. Should I be concerned about this? Should I just let it go? Any thoughts?

I've started teaching him from the sunbeams manual at home on Mondays when we have some time alone together. I'm really just looking for some reinforcement. I don't even really know what to think. On one hand I see their point. On the other, could they make a greater effort?

Talk with the Primary President about your concerns. In my Branch we have very few children too- yet we have a teacher for each age group, even if that is only one child.

If you feel that she isn't going to get a teacher for your son, then go to your Branch President with your concerns.

Using the Sunbeam manual for FHE is good- this reinforces what he has been taught on Sunday.

It's nice to see someone else in a branch on here. We are SMALL. Like I mean, an average sacrament meeting attendance of about 25 where my family makes 20% of that number. I don't think they will call a teacher. We are struggling to cover the basics. I don't think there is much that can be done. That just makes me sad. Poor little boy. :(

i'm in a very small branch. for a long time my children were the entire primary (3 and 4 kids). now our primary is about 8 kids. 6 that come regular, 5 of those are mine. we do not have the resources for an older and younger primary, we don't have the resources for a full primary presidency. i was the primary pres for a long time (though i'm not right now). what we did to deal with it and i would highly recommend it, no nursery. all the kids go to sharing and singing time. kids that age love love love to color and sing. during the lesson time the smaller ones are taken to one side of the room, given a few toys and a snack. yes it took some time for the older kids to learn to ignore it but they did learn. not only did the older ones learn to ignore the kids in the corner but the younger ones start joining the lesson, they opt out of the toys (weaning themselves from "nursery") and love being part of things. when my nursery age kids would visit wards and be forced to go to nursery they cried. not because they wanted me but because they wanted to go to singing and sharing time. you would be amazed at what little ones can do. the lessons involve an older discussion and questions while including lots of pictures and things that go along for the younger ones. do we put "more than they can handle" on the little ones? maybe. but my kids love church and the one consistent comment we get from visitors and stake leaders is "you have some of the brightest primary kids we've ever seen". nursery isn't required, we've never had one.

i would talk to the primary pres, if they aren't open to moving your son up as the church handbook says then i would talk to the bp. something else to consider suggesting to the branch pres is moving to a 2 hour time block (he would need stake approval for it). that has made a world of difference for our branch.

Hidden

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I've started teaching him from the sunbeams manual at home on Mondays when we have some time alone together. I'm really just looking for some reinforcement. I don't even really know what to think. On one hand I see their point. On the other, could they make a greater effort? "

I would not worry about the set up right now, because you are teaching him at home. One point you might want to cover though is routine. I have found that when you have a structure to the Nursery class that the 'little ones" learn better. For example do you let them free play and then sit for a lesson. Another might be teaching them to pray at certain times. This prepares them for other classes in Primary. Have them clear the toys away during FHE lesson. This way he will know what he must do when they tell it is time for sharing time or a lesson. :0)

You might even take some material to the Nursery that you will cover the next day for him to color or play with. At this age the more they see somethng the better it is. Just tell the Primary President that you are trying to teach him how to get up and sit at certain times so that when he does come into Primary he will not just want to play. The new nursery manual would be great for this. It has some simple pages that can be used and set up so you can trace them if you have to.

Both the Sunbeam manual and Nursery cover the same basic gospel. ;) You might even let him take his lesson from the week before and share with the Nursery. Going with the fact you are trying to teach him structure.

• 1 year later...