Carinessa top...

JThimm88

Rumor has it there is a garment top coming out sometime this year made out of carinessa fabric, the same as the bottoms. Anyone else heard anything about this? It'd be kind of nice if it were true -- I love the bottoms and also prefer that my tops match my bottoms, lol. Obviously they don't given the selections we currently have, which is fine really; I'm probably just nit picky. ;)

I came across this on an LDS member's blog -- the author was taking a poll on everyones favorite fabrics for garments when someone left this comment (this was posted on Dec. 16, 2010):

"A Carinessa II garment top will be out in the next couple months. I’ve had a sample for about 6 months. It still has a decorative neck trim. I campaigned hard for a plain neckline binding like the 100 % cotton chemise but there were manufacturing and quality requirements that went into that decision. The new top fits tightly and has two front and back side seams with a gusset under the arm so the sleeves don’t have all the extra fabric the cotton chemise have. The sleeve fits tightly too but is longer than i would like. It still has sewn marks; the Brethren have nixed the silk-screening for non-military garments. Keep writing and asking for it. Write the RS. The Brethren–Presiding Bishopric–said there should be no writing on the garment."

Not sure how it'll fit, but if this really is true and it's being manufactured, I'll be interested in trying it out.

That's a very very new listing, then. I checked it the other day when you started this thread, and it wasn't there yet, but I see it now. I'll definitely be interested in ordering one to try it out.

A little more background on the Carinessa garments. When the bottoms were first released, they were quite form-fitting, and very spandex-y. They had a band of lace around the bottom, and if you wore tight pants, there were no lines whatsoever. I believe there was a lot of negative feedback with regard to the hem -- the lace was extraordinarily tight, which made them uncomfortable to wear. Otherwise they were pretty great -- slimming, even.

So they reworked the pattern (and the fabric, a little, I believe) and released what is now called Carinessa II. It's still fairly spandex-y, but the hem is more like a men's garment -- it's just nicely turned under, with no elastic or lace. It hangs nicely and doesn't roll up at the bottom the way the DriSilque ones do. There is a nice thick waistband -- 3/4 inch elastic, but not too tight.

I've worn several different fabrics of garment bottoms, and it is by far the most comfortable. The fabric is entirely synthetic, and it dries quickly if gotten wet. I only bought mine in October, so I haven't been through a Summer yet, but I believe they'll be pretty comfortable in the humidity, partly because they're already much more comfortable to begin with.

That's a very very new listing, then. I checked it the other day when you started this thread, and it wasn't there yet, but I see it now. I'll definitely be interested in ordering one to try it out.

A little more background on the Carinessa garments. When the bottoms were first released, they were quite form-fitting, and very spandex-y. They had a band of lace around the bottom, and if you wore tight pants, there were no lines whatsoever. I believe there was a lot of negative feedback with regard to the hem -- the lace was extraordinarily tight, which made them uncomfortable to wear. Otherwise they were pretty great -- slimming, even.

So they reworked the pattern (and the fabric, a little, I believe) and released what is now called Carinessa II. It's still fairly spandex-y, but the hem is more like a men's garment -- it's just nicely turned under, with no elastic or lace. It hangs nicely and doesn't roll up at the bottom the way the DriSilque ones do. There is a nice thick waistband -- 3/4 inch elastic, but not too tight.

I've worn several different fabrics of garment bottoms, and it is by far the most comfortable. The fabric is entirely synthetic, and it dries quickly if gotten wet. I only bought mine in October, so I haven't been through a Summer yet, but I believe they'll be pretty comfortable in the humidity, partly because they're already much more comfortable to begin with.

Definitely new. I checked the store's site yesterday afternoon and it was nowhere to be found, but later yesterday night, it was there. Not going to lie, I was so excited that I had to call my husband over to show him. :P We ended up going to our distribution center in Rexburg this morning and they are heavily stocked of the carinessa tops now. I bought 2 tops; unfortunately they're the wrong size so I have to exchange the one I didn't open -- the sister recommended that I get a tall medium because I'm pregnant and have a month to go (but I am very, very tiny pregnant lady), when pre-pregnancy I'm a regular x-small or small, so I'm thinking a tall small would have been better ... but anyway, I digress.

I do have the tall medium on right now that I already opened and it's interesting. The bottom hem on the top is identical to the hem found on the bottoms, so it doesn't roll like it typically would had this been a cotton or drisilque top, which I love because I am not a fan of tucking in my tops into my bottoms, I personally like to overlap them.

It barely feels like I'm wearing the top, it's pretty lightweight and smooth. Very comfortable. And like the bottoms, it is a little bit more form fitting all around. The shoulders on the one I'm currently wearing are a little big, but I imagine when I get around to getting the proper size that the shoulders and the sleeves will actually stay in place. For whatever reason, my cotton tops tend to roll and bunch up under my shirts, but I'm crossing my fingers that isn't the case with the carinessa top. ;)

My husband's kind of jealous because there isn't a top for the men that matches whatever fabric is most similar to our carinessa in their mens bottoms, lol. (I think it's corban for the men...???)

Anyway, have to say I am generally pleased with them and am definitely planning on buying more of the tops and bottoms to go together.

I do have the tall medium on right now that I already opened and it's interesting. The bottom hem on the top is identical to the hem found on the bottoms, so it doesn't roll like it typically would had this been a cotton or drisilque top, which I love because I am not a fan of tucking in my tops into my bottoms, I personally like to overlap them.

It barely feels like I'm wearing the top, it's pretty lightweight and smooth. Very comfortable. And like the bottoms, it is a little bit more form fitting all around. The shoulders on the one I'm currently wearing are a little big, but I imagine when I get around to getting the proper size that the shoulders and the sleeves will actually stay in place. For whatever reason, my cotton tops tend to roll and bunch up under my shirts, but I'm crossing my fingers that isn't the case with the carinessa top. ;)

Okay, so here's what I want to know. I wear my bra under my garment top. My garment goes right next to my shirt. Does the Carinessa II top do it's own thing, or does it cling nicely to your shirt/sweater/blouse/etc?

Guest DeborahC

Okay, so here's what I want to know. I wear my bra under my garment top. My garment goes right next to my shirt. Does the Carinessa II top do it's own thing, or does it cling nicely to your shirt/sweater/blouse/etc?

Dang Wingnut! I thought you were a GUY! When you said you wore your bra under your top, I almost fell over! :eek::lol:

Well, after going back to the distribution center yesterday afternoon and getting the correct size, I can say this:

It clings nicely. Normally I wear my bra over to keep my garment top in place, but with this one you can (and I am) wear your bra under the top and nothing budges. It definitely stays put and my outer shirt hasn't moved either. Another plus is the symbols don't seem to show through my shirt like I thought they would as they are embroidered (I know we're all wishing they'd silk screen them on, lol).

Oh, and I'd imagine that if you wore your bra over, it MIGHT slip around similarly the way that it does if you wear a bra over drisilque tops. Just for anyone else who comes across this.

What's nice in my opinion is because the garment top stays in place, it takes away the need to wear a tank top which I've always done because it seemed to smooth out my garments a bit better and things just didn't look as lumpy under my clothes. Now things definitely *don't* look lumpy under my clothes.

...may I ask opinions on the best materials for garments before I go get mine?

Here is a fabric description page from the Church's online store. This might help you get a more detailed idea of the fabric types. I'd recommend reading through them -- they mention what's available in what fabric as some are mens/womens only.

Note: when you go to the distribution center to buy yours, they always have fabric samples on hand for you to take a look at.

I have tried the following fabrics: cotton-poly, drisilque, carinessa, and nylon mesh.

Of those 4, my favorite fabrics are the cotton-poly and carinessa. However, as I needed the very smallest sizes they had on hand (which still ended up being huge in comparison to what's available online or here out west, and how they really should fit), I was only able to get cotton-poly and drisilque, and the latter I wasn't very happy with personally.

Speaking of sizing, there are also sizing charts online, and the sisters at the distribution centers always have recommendations. Unfortunately while you can't try on garments before buying them and somewhat have to guess at your sizing initially, you can go to a back room with one of the sisters and have her show you a top or bottom and hold it up against you if that'll help with scaling it. And if you end up with something you don't like, you can always return garments that you haven't opened at all.

Edited by JThimm88

Backroads, a lot of people can give you recommendations on their favorite garment fabrics, but I would try talking to a few trusted sisters in your ward/local area. Weather and humidity are big factors in the type of fabric that will be the most comfortable for you.

All I can say is ..... Yeah!!!! When I get to a distribution center I am definitly going to pick one up. I was so thankful that they changed the desing of the carinessa bottoms. I love the wide band on the leg so much better.

Side note... We have to special order some of my dh's garment tops (uniform requirement) and when we first did this a few years ago the markings were screen printed. Our last order however they were embroidered and I like that so much more.

• 1 month later...

i just learned about these on sunday from another sister. she had the top on and was talking it up big time. sounds very comfortable and better fitting than some of the other styles of tops. i liked the sleeves on it too. better than the ones that get all stretched out. i know i love the bottoms, so my guess is i'd love the tops as well!

• 2 weeks later...

I found the new Carinessa Tops were out when I was mistakenly given THEM instead of the chemise tops I was ordering at the Distribution center at the L. A. Temple! So I got them completely by accident, though I was questioning the sister there on sizing because I'm only 5'2" and 110 lbs, usually the bottoms are way too long even with the petites, and the tops I need larger busted than they come *( they need to correct this next I believe! ) So I was ordering the xsp chemise and got a Carinessa instead! She kept saying she didn't know " how " I had gotten the wrong size last time, which was a week before , when they " had only gotten them in last week! ", and this was in early January! So I've been wearing these ever since. I go to the Temple quite often and just a couple of weeks ago took some sister missionaries who needed to purchase things and I happened to look at the Irregular bins and voila! I found the First Cariness bottoms ( which fit me MUCH better in the petite sizing!) and a bunch of the new Carinessa tops , so tried a few different sizes and found the perfect sizes for me now. LOVE these! The cap sleeves are pretty tiny compared to the other cotton/ ones or the chemise tops and they don't have the lace edges which show under nice silk or satin tops and dresses! Still though , the bottoms are always too long on me, so I'm going to have to put in a custom order with the correct sizing I think, so they don't fall over my knee and hang there!

A sister at the Temple Dist. also told me it's not the ENTIRE G's that are most concerning, it's the symbols, and they will custom make g's for different " special" needs other than disabilities, such as dancers, actors, etc. Which would come in quite handy for those who feel they need to remove them to work , or are in a public place where they will be seen , like myself.

What I really want is a Carinessa top with built-in bra padding! That would be super awesome. No need to spend extra $$ on a bra...

And while I'm at, I also want the bottoms to be designed to hold pads with wings!... you know kinda like men's swim trunks that has the pant lining - this would be like that except for a panty-lining...

I was told when I was endowed 15 years ago that wearing " undies" under the G's bottoms were a personal choice, especially at certain times for women, and also about the bra being worn under the G's were ok too. The " next to the skin" for the G's as we are told , especially more so today, is meant to mean under the normal clothing we wear. I've asked several Temple matrons through the years and a couple of years ago talked to the Temple Presidents wife who I was sitting with at one time in the Temple, she said some things have " changed" a bit from what was said years ago, not changed to the point where we choose when and when not to wear them on days we don't feel like it of course, but changed as per clothing worn with or under them. Does that make sense?

What I really want is a Carinessa top with built-in bra padding! That would be super awesome. No need to spend extra $$ on a bra...

And while I'm at, I also want the bottoms to be designed to hold pads with wings!... you know kinda like men's swim trunks that has the pant lining - this would be like that except for a panty-lining...

Bra padding. If only that worked for me. Sigh. I'm stuck shopping at Victoria's Secret as its the only place that reliably has my bra size.

Ability to hold winged pads... that would be awesome.

I was told when I was endowed 15 years ago that wearing " undies" under the G's bottoms were a personal choice, especially at certain times for women, and also about the bra being worn under the G's were ok too. The " next to the skin" for the G's as we are told , especially more so today, is meant to mean under the normal clothing we wear. I've asked several Temple matrons through the years and a couple of years ago talked to the Temple Presidents wife who I was sitting with at one time in the Temple, she said some things have " changed" a bit from what was said years ago, not changed to the point where we choose when and when not to wear them on days we don't feel like it of course, but changed as per clothing worn with or under them. Does that make sense?

I'm trying to see if I understand it. So are we allowed or not to wear panties/bras under, then? (though personally I think that seems excessive and uncomfortable)

I'm trying to see if I understand it. So are we allowed or not to wear panties/bras under, then? (though personally I think that seems excessive and uncomfortable)

Yes you are allowed. My mom once asked about panties specifically. She was told, "if the garment is representative of such significant covenants, and is supposed to be the most sacred item of clothing you have, doesn't it make sense to protect it further from unnecessary soiling?"

As for bras, the over/under issue is a personal one. I used to wear my bra over the garment (for no other reason than that was how my mom wore it, and she was my only first-hand example), until I started breastfeeding. It became so much more convenient and easy to wear the bra under. When I weaned my daughter, I tried switching back, but it was no use. For one thing, breasts are large as mine don't fit into a bra very well when there's an extra layer underneath.

My interpretation of "next to the skin" is that it means, private, under your clothes, not for public viewing.