4 hour diet

prospectmom

Ok today is the first day of my new diet. I have never been a good diet person although I have lost almost 80 lbs in the last year just by doing simple things water, protein with every meal more vegtables and limiting goodies. I am at a stand still so have decided to try the diet my daughter is on. Beans are a big part of it and I am truly full and wondered how I can eat it all but so far so good. The book I am using is The 4-hour body by Timothy Ferris. He also has a web site. So here goes :D and please if any of you know about this let me know.

The book is The 4 hour body so my title should be that

Edited by prospectmom

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is one of those cyclic ketogenic diets - that is alternate a slow-carb diet with a carb binge.

Prospectmom, all the diets out there are backed by research. You will notice that it doesn't work for the long term. You really need the discipline of proper health and nutrition - exercise and healthy food choices - to stay healthy. Everyday. Not just for 6 months. These type of diets - Atkins, South Beach, 4-hour Body, etc. - is messing with that.

There are ways of overcoming a plateau without going into extreme dieting. Homeostasis can be broken by change, so it becomes very tempting to try a cyclic diet. But, from the small amount that i read of the 4-hour Body diet, I feel it is not intended for breaking homeostasis.

If you want to break homeostasis - you can try these 2 things:

1.) if you're ideal caloric intake is 1500/day, you can do 1800 today and 1200 tomorrow - or basically, varying your caloric intake for a week having the same average caloric intake at the end of 7 days. Replacing a food item with spinach is one way I found that helps lower calories, still have that "full" feeling, and still be healthy (don't overeat spinach though - it's a bit high on sodium). Or do like my husband does - go on a 1 or 2 day fast (the real thing complete with prayer, purpose, and fast offering).

2.) Increase your level of exercise. If you're walking 2 miles per day, you can skip the walk and go on strength training for a week, then go back to walking 2 miles again.

Things like that.

Pam I am with you on not wanting to go near the word diet . I lost weight to start by not dieting ... eating healthy, no processed foods more veggie's and little fat. I walk and Zumba 2 to 3 times a week. I am wanting to get past this stopping point and loose again. I am all for rapid weight loss and really think this will work for me.... forever no but to use as a tool yes. It really isn't bad no white, bleached or processed foods. beans, lots of veggie's and protein no dairy except cottage cheese, no fruit. One day a week you can eat what you want so I can do it pretty easily. Oh yes no bread , no grains , rice etc. Now I have been living on oatmeal for breakfast for some time so will miss that , but it is not forever and have read support from Dr OZ and others so not such a bad thing if you use it as a tool and know it is not a quick , permanent fix . Nothing really is . My exercise routine is pretty good for someone of my age and size. I am looking forward to being able to run , its kinda of hard with those sand bags on my behind :} I do not look at it as a wonder cure and really want to shed some pounds fast , use appropriate exercise to tone up and maintain my weight loss. So am not just going into this blindly. I so far am enjoying it. We will see

Anatess,

thank you for your concern and insight. I appreciate the time you took. I have done some of the things you mentioned with mixed results. We can all consider this an experiment ok??? So far I have never felt so full..... I like the smaller meals 4 times daily and today I ate 6am 10 am 2:30 had 2 boiled eggs at 6pm and ate my fish when I got home from work. I drank 3 cups green tea , two bottles of carbonated flavored water and several bottles water. So far see no problem but just the first day. no cravings so far and I am surviving without my Coke which I could have diet but choose not to. So time wil tell.

Ok today is the first day of my new diet. I have never been a good diet person although I have lost almost 80 lbs in the last year just by doing simple things water, protein with every meal more vegtables and limiting goodies. I am at a stand still so have decided to try the diet my daughter is on. Beans are a big part of it and I am truly full and wondered how I can eat it all but so far so good. The book I am using is The 4-hour body by Timothy Ferris. He also has a web site. So here goes :D and please if any of you know about this let me know.

The book is The 4 hour body so my title should be that

I'm still on the seefood diet.

If I see food I eat it.....

>.>

<.<

Hmmm a cardiac surgeon and a Dr of Physiology yes I pretty much do believe most of what they say. They have pretty sound advise and always back it up with facts. Doesn't mean I am a blind sheep and I do check things out and while this may not be for everyone I kinda am liking it on my second day so far. Beans for breakfast is not fun to get use . Eating within 30 minutes of getting up is harder but nuke them black beans add a little salsa and a boiled egg on the side and my breakfast is done. Drinking lots of water has sent me to the bathroom more often but done that before so nothing I can not handle so far. So here goes to day 2. Today is my Zumba day I love it's so fun for an hour.

Hmmm a cardiac surgeon and a Dr of Physiology yes I pretty much do believe most of what they say. They have pretty sound advise and always back it up with facts.

You've missed my point but perhaps it wasn't written very clear. I'm not saying that Dr. Oz or Dr. Phil are unreputable doctors but they are and do sensationalise. It's possible there are other reputable doctors that are not on TV that would disagree that 4 Hour Body is a healthy program. So if there were a handful of reputable doctors and half promoted a particular diet and the other half discouraged that same diet, whose research would you follow? That was all I was getting to and did not mean to imply in some way that you were a "blind sheep".

This is from his 4 hour body book.

* How to prevent fat gain while bingeing (X-mas, holidays, weekends)

* How to increase fat-loss 300% with a few bags of ice

* How Tim gained 34 pounds of muscle in 28 days, without steroids, and in four hours of total gym time

* How to sleep 2 hours per day and feel fully rested

* How to produce 15-minute female orgasms

* How to triple testosterone and double sperm count

* How to go from running 5 kilometers to 50 kilometers in 12 weeks

* How to reverse “permanent” injuries

* How to add 150+ pounds to your lifts in 6 months

* How to pay for a beach vacation with one hospital visit

needless to say if his diet claims are as preposterous i would avoid it like the plague.

We were just trashi... discussing that book on a personal training forum

actually I to find some bad with the good I have read in it. I am only interested in specific items and so far so good. I can just see you all trainers bashing anything and everything I think its funny to think of you all doing that . Personally I choose to find the good in everything and there is a lot of good in this book for me ... not for you no problem but for me I am choosing this journey eyes wide open not doing it because of what any famous Dr said. I happen to read ALOT and learn alot from many different sources. I have specific goals and am choosing this path to accelerate my progress so I can do more physically than I am able to now. Instead of bashing this and judging consider this as I do an experiment and lets see what good and bad happens. I am going to be brutally honest about what I eat and what exercise I do. I am doing it this way because this experiment appeals to me on many levels and accountability to you all is one of the pluses. SO day 2 was a success . on to day 3

actually I to find some bad with the good I have read in it. I am only interested in specific items and so far so good. I can just see you all trainers bashing anything and everything I think its funny to think of you all doing that . Personally I choose to find the good in everything and there is a lot of good in this book for me ... not for you no problem but for me I am choosing this journey eyes wide open not doing it because of what any famous Dr said. I happen to read ALOT and learn alot from many different sources. I have specific goals and am choosing this path to accelerate my progress so I can do more physically than I am able to now. Instead of bashing this and judging consider this as I do an experiment and lets see what good and bad happens. I am going to be brutally honest about what I eat and what exercise I do. I am doing it this way because this experiment appeals to me on many levels and accountability to you all is one of the pluses. SO day 2 was a success . on to day 3

That's good. The problem with this subject is they sell the sizzle and "lose 10 lbs a week eating what you want" sells better than "work out 3-5 days a week, count your calories for every meal and in 2 and a half months you can lose ten lbs"

But if you can separate the bs from stuff that works, then that is good