Legal?

Backroads

I've begun doing this, and I hope I am not running into any weird laws.

In order to confirm some relations, dates, etc, I've been taking photos of gravestones of whom I know/think to be relatives (I figure it's quicker than rubbings).

So... is this legal?

My dad did this for years. I've started doing it when I go to grave sites that have ancestors buried. As Ram mentioned..as long as you aren't trespassing there is nothing illegal about it. Keep in mind though..that headstones are not always accurate. I know of two in my own family that are wrong. One the spelling of the name is incorrect and the other they have the year of death wrong. This info still needs to be followed up by good ol' fashioned research.

My dad did this for years. I've started doing it when I go to grave sites that have ancestors buried. As Ram mentioned..as long as you aren't trespassing there is nothing illegal about it. Keep in mind though..that headstones are not always accurate. I know of two in my own family that are wrong. One the spelling of the name is incorrect and the other they have the year of death wrong. This info still needs to be followed up by good ol' fashioned research.

Oh, yes, of course. But it works great for comparing-n-contrasting.

I was telling the lady who designed my wedding dress about this, and she says her people are buried in one of the small cemetaries I study. Turns out we're distantly and uselessly related!

• 4 months later...

there is a website called findagrave.com people take photos of pictures in cemeteries. I added photos there once.

Stopped because some lady got ticked because I added a photo of an alive person. I knew she had passed on because I was there when she passed and I was at the funeral. Woman still thinks she is alive. Anyway, have fun searching enough of my tangent