Should I Give the Missionaries Something?

Jason_J

Guest jengilbrat

Most missionaries don't want "things" they then have to move them around every time they transfer. Useful things are nice that are small and worth the space they take up. Best thing of all, photos, letters, and food. I am an RM, and these thought are from my expierences, might not be what everyone thinks.

My thought is that giving a gift to them may take away from their spiritual rewards. I may be wrong though. If you need to give them something, dinner, lunch, or buy them a book like "The Infinite Atonement." I gave that to the two Elders who help facilitate a change in me, with words of thanks written in the inside cover before they went home.

The problem with books is if it isn't part of the standard set they'd need Mission President approval to read it, which means they may end up sending it home. Though I suppose you could call up the Mission President and ask him first to avoid that potential pitfall.

Edited by Dravin

I think the most important part of the book will be your own feelings and thanks written inside it. If they are not able to keep it with them and have to send it home, they will have it as a reminder of their work and that they made a difference in someone's life.

The problem with books is if it isn't part of the standard set they'd been Mission President approval to read it, which means they may end up sending it home. Though I suppose you could call up the Mission President and ask him first to avoid that potential pitfall.

I think you're looking too far into it. Yes, it's "true", but I don't think any missionary would worry about a clearly LDS book and keeping it with them.

Give them something to remember their mission. A T-shirt from the local university or with the name of the state/city on it. You could get them a blank book and write your thoughts/testimony on the first page. Something unique to your state or city.

But remember to not make it too big or heavy--they do have to live out of a suitcase for 2 years.

Missionaries love food. My husband is still talking about the food from his mission. He has a few things he brought home from his mission. One is a blanket the sisters in one of the wards made him. An other is a really cool picture an investigator painted for him of his favorite cartoon character. The last 'thing' I can remember that he has are little things from around the city that he served in, like brochures and pamphlets. Do you have a creative talent of something you could make them? If not, take them out to pizza, perhaps invite a friend:)

I think you're looking too far into it. Yes, it's "true", but I don't think any missionary would worry about a clearly LDS book and keeping it with them.

In my experience a missionary given something they do not have permission to read would send it home instead of carrying it around. And yes, there are missions out there that stress that the only books you have permission to read are the standard set, everything else is a case by case basis. I had a companion who was given a book written by a general authority and he asked permission before he read it (And was prepared to send it home if he didn't get said permission).

They will appreciate the gift either way, but if you intent is that they get to read it on their mission it's best to ask the Mission President.

Guest mormonmusic
Hidden

A woman gave me a picture of something that interested me that was spiritual (I can't remember what it was, something in nature, I believe) with my favorite scripture on a piece of transparency film over top of it. I loved that. I think if you had a picture of them at a baptism with an investigator and superimposed one of their favorite scriptures, or something like that, they'd like it.

You really just need to get to know the missionaries and find out what their likes and desires are -- this will guide you in making your decision.

Pizza and lots of love. :) And a ride when they need it most. I've picked them up when they called many times stuck on the other side of town apprx 15 miles from thier appartment with a broken bike in the sweltering south Ga heat or when a bad storm comes up quick. You can get the missionary cell # from them at church after offering to help. For a while there I thought I was the only one here that helped them. I think everyone should support these young kids who are a million miles from home doing the most awesome job there is.

Okay, so I know that the missionaries don't ask for anything in return, but I feel like I should give them something...any ideas/thoughts?

You have so many of the same questions I had! Yeah, you don't want to give them something too big or heavy 'cause they just have to haul it around with them or arrange to mail it home, costing them money.

Living in a college town, I gave my missionaries college t-shirts and have brought them shirts from my travels. I just found out that my college shirt was the first such shirt one of my missionaries ever received and he was really happy about it, so there's that. I gather guys like to collect shirts from different schools. Anyway, they can wear such things for their service work, so it's not as useless a gift as it seems. This won't last as long as a t-shirt, but I was told here that I could give a gift card, and I gave a gift card for the grocery store where they shop. It was much appreciated.

I know you're thinking of something they can keep after their mission, just don't make it something that difficult for them to carry around. If you're going for short term, yeah, food seems to be the answer. Works for my guys! Though I would suggest real food rather than treats. Or dinner (and a lesson!) at a decent restaurant.

Write them each a heartfelt letter that they can one day read to their grandchildren.

Oh yes. One of my guys is leaving this week and I've done just that. I think it is important that they have a tangible remembrance of their time with you (though it's been pretty short in your case!), what baptism meant to you, etc. It took me a few days to write mine; this is something you want to do with some thought. You can still take them to dinner if you want to do something right now, but do write a letter.

That would be good. My missionaries loved hearing me share my testimony at church. You could write your testimony down, and they could carry that with them easy.

You can still write to them, the Elder that baptized me is married with kids now and is a friend of mine on facebook. We have met up with spouses in tow for lunch at conference time. It's great.