A few questions about LDS

If I were an investigator, or on the verge of becoming such, and I stumbled upon this site, what kind of questions would I ask?

1. Tell me what Mormonism is, and how it is different from other Christian churches?

2. How do you know it's true?

3. Why don't you drink coffee? It's not like smoking or drinking? (yeah...I really would ask this one!)

4. What are the temples for?

5. I heard Joseph Smith said all the other churches were wrong. That sounds harsh. Is it true that you think all the other churches are wrong? If so, what happens to their members when they die?

6. The biggie: So, just what is the meaning of life according to your religion?

See...and I'm a history major...but Mountain Meadows, polygamy, blacks in the priesthood, even Adam-God...none of that would on the top-10 of my inquiries...if I was an investigator, that is. As a Christian preacher, I do find those controversies interesting. As a spiritual seeker, though, not so much.

I'd want to know the specifics of how LDS define who and what they worship, how they define Jesus in their view, why they now want to be called Christians when after many years they tried to show they were not Christian and a whole lot of other things myself.

3. Why don't you drink coffee? It's not like smoking or drinking? (yeah...I really would ask this one!)

You and your Starbucks! :P

That really is what defines for me how sincere the questions are when someone claims to be wanting to learn more about the Mormon Church. Are you wanting to learn more about the spiritual side of what we believe or the historical side?

While the historical side is interesting and important in some aspects (Joseph Smith and the translation of the Book of Mormon come to mind) it is not what entirely defines us.

Dr. T hits on the big questions of theology--who is God (or the gods)? What unites one with Christ, while distinguishing one from other religions? And...if I am convinced of Christianity in general, is this Church the best representation of Christ?

I guess, in light of those, my java inquiry probably seems a bit petty. :::sigh:::

I'd want to know the specifics of how LDS define who and what they worship, how they define Jesus in their view, why they now want to be called Christians when after many years they tried to show they were not Christian and a whole lot of other things myself.

I've been a member for 54 years and I do not remember ever a time when we were trying to show we weren't Christian.

I cannot speak for Dr. T, but in the past, was there not more of an emphasis on what distinguished LDS teaching from the rest of Christianity? The perception that the doctrines of the Great Apostasy and of the Restoration were of prime importance, and the type of convicted interfaith dialogue we see today was far less common, could certainly have left some with the impression that LDS were not so interested in being seen as a part of broader Christianity. President Hinckley brought greater prominence to the efforts to garner greater understanding from Protestants and Catholics--or so I have heard.

There are still many LDS that don't like the term Christian nor the term Mormon. They say it doesn't define who we are either. President Hinckley did change some thoughts on that in his comments about the term Mormon.

There are still many LDS that don't like the term Christian nor the term Mormon. They say it doesn't define who we are either. President Hinckley did change some thoughts on that in his comments about the term Mormon.

Who are these people? I have never heard of anyone who didn't embrace the term Christian. Even Mormon has only been downplayed in the church simply because the true name of the church was being lost, and now I see LDS Church being used a lot more in news articles. I still see Church of Latter Day Saints, which just bugs me to no end.

Oh, and to answer the last question: Men are that they might have joy. Our entire purpose is to have a fullness of joy.

I've been in the church for over 40 years, and never heard of such a thing. Ever.

I've run into a few on this site even. LOL one woman in chat spent a few hours very upset at the fact i would ever compare her to a Christian and how dare i ever use that term to describe her, she was LDS and would never be a Christian. I just about died laughing.

1. Tell me what Mormonism is, and how it is different from other Christian churches?

Revelation-- when you have Revelation you have the inside track.

The spirit by Revelation

Revelation-- God said not to. Thats good enough for me

To link this life with the next life. The Atonement reaches all spirits. The requirements for Salvation are the same if you are living or dead. Temples allow for that Salvation to happen to all of God's Children.

5. I heard Joseph Smith said all the other churches were wrong. That sounds harsh. Is it true that you think all the other churches are wrong? If so, what happens to their members when they die?

If you read the account by Joseph Smith he is Quoting Jesus Christ saying all the "creeds" were wrong.

I believe not all church teach the same doctrine/creeds thus they all can't be right. Truth is specific.

Its to fill the Measure of your creation (D&C 88) God created us for a purpose. That purpose is to be like Him. (in every way). The point of the Plan of Salvation or the Gospel of Jesus Christ is to help us achieve our full potential, or Fill the Measure of our creation. Be the best we really are inside.

Tubaloths...thank you for your answers. Your post could springboard to mutliple strings, and provide for much richer discussion than the typical stringss that attempt to defend the faith against arguments over speaches from the 1850s.

The answer that left me with the most quetions was #5. What happens to those Christians who embrace wrong creeds, when they die? Also...how do I discern true revelation from false (relates to your first 3 answers)?

Tubaloths...thank you for your answers. Your post could springboard to mutliple strings, and provide for much richer discussion than the typical stringss that attempt to defend the faith against arguments over speaches from the 1850s.

The answer that left me with the most quetions was #5. What happens to those Christians who embrace wrong creeds, when they die? Also...how do I discern true revelation from false (relates to your first 3 answers)?

The simple answer is that we don't believe the afterlife is heaven/hell. We believe there are many degrees of glory in the afterlife:

40There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another.

41There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory.

42So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:

43It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power:

44It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

1 Cor. 15

So, as every circumstance is different, so will their glory be according to their circumstances. But one thing we know, all men will be judged fairly, and have opportunity in this life or the next to achieve Celestial Glory.

Also read Doctrine and Covenants 76  as it has a more detailed description of examples of those who gain various glories.

Edited by bytebear

If I were an investigator, or on the verge of becoming such, and I stumbled upon this site, what kind of questions would I ask?

Ram: It is a Christian Church that believes many plain and precious things were lost over the centuries since Jesus' day. Those precious teachings and ordinances needed to be restored to prepare the world for the 2nd Coming of Christ. God called new apostles and prophets to restore these special blessings.

Ram: I've studied it, then asked God if it is true. I was specific in my prayers: Father, if this is true let me feel good inside by the power of the Holy Spirit. And if it is false, let me feel awful inside. I asked specifically about Joseph Smith, the Book of Mormon, etc. The gospel and prophets are not perfect, but the Spirit is, and I trust the witness it bore to me.

Ram: Well, I never drink coffee because it tastes so bad! :lol: Also, I trust the guidance of prophets who have asked me not to partake. The spiritual and physical blessings I receive far outweigh any benefits I could possibly gain by drinking coffee, tea, alcohol, or smoking.

Ram: The temple restores the ancient concept of man returning to the presence of God. Throughout the Bible and other LDS scripture, we find prophets experiencing God face to face (Adam, Noah, Moses, Isaiah, Lehi, Nephi, etc). For them, this was the pinnacle of their mortal experience. The temple provides the ordinances necessary to teach us how to be Christ-like, and prepares us to enter into God's presence and be like Him.

Ram: The Lord taught Joseph that the Christian church had accepted creeds that were wrong and abominable to God. We believe that all mankind is saved by the grace of Christ. The Lord revealed to Joseph Smith that there are many levels of salvation, and that each individual (with the exception of sons of perdition) will gain a level of salvation and glory. Unlike many Christian churches who believe most of mankind will burn in hell forever, regardless of their opportunity to even hear about Jesus Christ, we believe all will receive the opportunity here or in the next world to hear the gospel and accept it. To the level each individual accepts and embraces the truth is the level of salvation they will receive. So it is important for us to seek and embrace as much truth as possible, so that we can become more Christ-like and be able to receive higher degrees of glory in God's kingdom.

To the extent that a Church teaches correct concepts, it can assist us in receiving a higher level of salvation. The importance of the Restoration is that God has restored power and authority through living prophets and apostles to not only save mankind, but to also exalt them. We can receive a fullness of his glory by accepting the greater truths, receiving the ordinances of exaltation in the temple, and live valiantly as Christ would have us do.

Ram: It is for each individual to gain experiences that we could not receive without a mortal experience. It is for us to learn to walk by faith, as Paul noted, and to see if we are willing to follow God and His Christ. To the level we choose to become like Christ gives our lives meaning personally. For the person who strives for exaltation in the highest glory, it means to be perfected in Christ. For the sinner who barely acknowledges the existence of a Savior, it means satisfaction in a glory where he will find peace and joy on his own level.

See...and I'm a history major...but Mountain Meadows, polygamy, blacks in the priesthood, even Adam-God...none of that would on the top-10 of my inquiries...if I was an investigator, that is. As a Christian preacher, I do find those controversies interesting. As a spiritual seeker, though, not so much.

Ram: And that is why I appreciate you so much. You understand the difference between what is truly important, versus the distractors. As an history major I also find them interesting. However, I do not spend much time studying them, because others have done some good work on it, and I prefer studying other things of greater value. However, I can maintain a good discussion on all of these. I'd just prefer talking about the Restoration, temples, or the Atonement.

Mormons have always claimed themselves to be Christian. They just have never claimed themselves to be traditional Christians, and often have spent much time trying to focus on the differences, rather than on the things we have in common. Today, we better realize that a better discussion can be had by focusing more on the commonalities, rather than solely on the differences. Of course, much of this LDS attitudinal change has occurred because the traditional Christian attitude towards Mormonism has also changed. Many more now accept us as Christian. Fewer are attempting to burn down our homes, drive us from state to state, and kill our prophets. :rolleyes:

We believe the Bible states that for salvation to happen, one must believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Savior of the world (John 3:16). The difficulty comes when we begin entering into creeds and insisting that the creeds define who is/isn't a Christian.

For example, LDS can accept many, if not most of the concepts defined in the Athanasius Creed. However, we would view it as a social union between the three Gods, not one in substance. There is a growing number of Traditional Christians who are also beginning to understand this view, as well.

Mormons wish to be recognized as Christians. By the definition given in the Bible, we qualify. We agree that we are not Traditional nor Creedal Christians, and do not seek to be acknowledged as such. We are Restorationist Christians, which by definition, will set us apart in some aspects.

But then there are differences among traditional Christians. Catholics accept the Pope and priesthood as authoritative. Some traditional Christians focus only on salvation by grace, while others include works as necessary. Some believe in free will, while others believe in TULIP. And if anything should determine whether a person is Christian or not, isn't it how one defines the atonement? Is the atonement of Christ as limited as Calvin stated, or is it a near universal event as Mormonism teaches? Still, in considering the basic term "Christian," all who apply with the bare minimum acceptance of Christ as Savior, should gain admittance.

As for the "whole lot of other things myself", it is a bit vague. It comes down to a question of: does God have an eternal pattern of working through prophets (Amos 3:7)? If so, then a Restoration answers many questions. If not, then there still are questions of authority, etc., as evangelicals departed from the RCC. If there was no apostasy, then the Pope and Patriarch have the only claims to priesthood and authority. There is no priesthood of believers in this instance. How can God accept so many (often chaotic) Christian churches, when God is a God of order?

You see, there are just as many questions we can ask of any Christian Church.

We offer one possible correct method from at least 3 major Christian concepts: papal/patriarch succession, priesthood of all believers, Restoration of priesthood.

Believe it or not, that question was THE question that led me to this path. Being a devout Catholic married to a Mormon who I thought was going to become Catholic (went to Catholic church every Sunday even - consistently... even when he was almost inactive in the LDS church), I was very surprised when my husband said he can't become Catholic because of his "testimony" of the restored gospel.

Anyway, so I asked him - so, you must think I'm going to hell because I'm not Mormon. And his answer was - "Nope. I have a bigger chance of going to hell than you."

That got me thinking...

I wouldn't say the majority, but I've run into more than a few members who took offense to being called Christians and fought tooth and nail to make sure they were never called that.

Never heard of that either. IF a member ever did say/do that then they would have been very sadly misinformed as to our beliefs.

Believe it or not, that question was THE question that led me to this path. Being a devout Catholic married to a Mormon who I thought was going to become Catholic (went to Catholic church every Sunday even - consistently... even when he was almost inactive in the LDS church), I was very surprised when my husband said he can't become Catholic because of his "testimony" of the restored gospel.

Anyway, so I asked him - so, you must think I'm going to hell because I'm not Mormon. And his answer was - "Nope. I have a bigger chance of going to hell than you."

That got me thinking...

If I've learned correctly from my time here, he was in greater danger because he had received the restored gospel and was inactive. "To whom much is given much is required..."

There is no doubting that the LDS teaching of three heavenly kingdoms, with a very small (relatively speaking) outer darkness appeals to many, as opposed to the stark heaven or hell paradigm offered by Catholic and Protestant Christianity.

Of course, invidual preference as to what we would like the future to hold brings no obligation to God. :cool:

D&C 138, a revelation of the Spirit World given to Joseph F. Smith in 1918 (2 weeks prior to his death), teaches us:

He was pondering the following scriptures:

7“For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

8“By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

9“Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.” (1 Peter 3:18–20.)

10“For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.” (1 Peter 4:6.)

As he pondered these, he tells us:

11 As I pondered over these things which are written, the eyes of my understanding were opened, and the Spirit of the Lord rested upon me, and I saw the hosts of the dead, both small and great.

He states that he saw the Savior there during his three days in the tomb, organizing the missionary work in the Spirit World:

29 And as I wondered, my eyes were opened, and my understanding quickened, and I perceived that the Lord went not in person among the wicked and the disobedient who had rejected the truth, to teach them;

30 But behold, from among the righteous, he organized his forces and appointed messengers, clothed with power and authority, and commissioned them to go forth and carry the light of the gospel to them that were in darkness, even to all the spirits of men; and thus was the gospel preached to the dead.

31 And the chosen messengers went forth to declare the acceptable day of the Lord and proclaim liberty to the captives who were bound, even unto all who would repent of their sins and receive the gospel.

32 Thus was the gospel preached to those who had died in their sins, without a knowledge of the truth, or in transgression, having rejected the prophets.

57 I beheld that the faithful elders of this dispensation, when they depart from mortal life, continue their labors in the preaching of the gospel of repentance and redemption, through the sacrifice of the Only Begotten Son of God, among those who are in darkness and under the bondage of sin in the great world of the spirits of the dead.

58 The dead who repent will be redeemed, through obedience to the ordinances of the house of God,

59 And after they have paid the penalty of their transgressions, and are washed clean, shall receive a reward according to their works, for they are heirs of salvation.

So, in God's great mercy, the South American cannibal, or the 8th century Hindu, who died without ever hearing the name of Jesus, can receive the full gospel in the Spirit World, and receive as much of the blessings as he is willing to receive, accept and obey. He does not have to burn in hell, simply because he could not accept Christ as his personal Savior in mortality. Temple work is done for all, as we do not know which of the dead will accept all or some of the work done for them there.