Linux Ideas for Mormons

dailyacts

Ubuntu and Google

This is about finding LDS oriented backgrounds and my Google it experience.

Therefore, let me share a suggestion that may work for you. The first thing I did was to find a desktop background of Jesus to replace "Ole" purple, which is the default background of the latest Ubuntu edition called Maverick Meek. So I Goggled to find a background on the Internet and I found two really good backgrounds of the Savior and his visit to the Nephites. However, before I give you the Web address of these backgrounds, I want to teach you how to Google for finding LDS oriented backgrounds.

Rather than searching using solely LDS or Mormon backgrounds, add to that search 1024x768 (this is the resolution size needed) and themes. Then I went a step further than this and I searched for "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints 1024x768 backgrounds.” And I got this Web site: Jesus Christ Wallpaper sized images – Set 03

This is where you will find the two backgrounds of our Lord.

Edited by dailyacts

By the way, some people think it is disrespectful to put a picture of the Lord on a computer screen.

Are they the same people who think that you shouldn't be spending your time with "digital distractions," even when they mean connecting with other people who value the things that you do? Maybe you should ask what exactly they find disrespectful about placing his likeness someplace where you'll see it often. Or if they're close to you, ask if you could put their picture there instead and see how they feel about that.

I've been using Ubuntu for a few years now, but I'm not sure how to help you with the actual subject of your post.

If you are using Ubuntu, you may want to get rid of the top and bottom panels if you dislike their appearance like I did. To remove the top panel, just right click on it and then on "Remove Panel." I do not think you can delete the bottom panel, however, you can make it transparent by right clicking on the panel, Properties, and then slide the style button to the left where it says, "Transparent." That is it!

Edited by dailyacts

How to Create a Ubuntu LDS Christian Desktop Including Scriptural Software

This is a step-by-step guide of the things I did to design a Ubuntu LDS Christian desktop including where you can find awesome Bible verse freeware on the Internet. In addition, I will share where you can to buy the marvelous authorized resource edition of the LDS scriptures and official study aids that you can install on Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meek, which is a Linux operating system.

1. Therefore, the first thing I did was to find a beautiful desktop picture of Jesus to replace "Ole" purple, which is the default background of Ubuntu. So I used Google to search the Internet for a picture of him on the Internet and I found two really wonderful pictures of the Savior and his visit to the ancient Nephites. However, before I give you the Web site address of where you can find such marvelous pictures of him, I am going to share with you how to Google to find LDS Christian backgrounds. For example, rather than search using only “LDS or Mormon backgrounds,” I added to it 1024x768, that is, this is the proper size of image to fit the screen resolution of Ubuntu. I found photographs of our modern-day prophets, but I did not find any images of Jesus using this screen resolution. Futher more, I went a step further and I searched for "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints 1024x768 backgrounds.” Therefore, this is the Web site where you can find the two pictures of our Lord: TurnbacktoGod.com.

2. Before you complete the next step, bring up Ubuntu Help and Support by left clicking on the main menu, then on System, and lastly on Help and Support. Please do not exist help and support! Leave it up because you are going to need it later

3. Since you are using Ubuntu, you may want to get rid of the top panel on the desktop if you dislike its appearance as I did. To remove the top panel, just right-click on it and then on "Remove Panel." You can delete the bottom panel, however, you can make it transparent by right clicking on the panel, Properties, and then slide the style button to the left where it says, "Transparent." That is it, no more panels!

4. You can find Bible software at Vladimirrybant.org.The program is called Bible Verse Desktop 3.0 and it is a flash window that randomly changes to a new Bible verse automatically after so many seconds or minutes. You can configure how often it changes to a new scripture and the actual flash window’s appearance such as the type of font and background color you like.

5. You also can buy and install the CD-ROM version of the authorized resource edition of the LDS scriptures and official study aids on Ubuntu. The latest version of this can be bought online at Deseretbook.com.

6. What is important to understand about the LDS scriptures and Bible Verse is that they are both Windows applications so you will need to know how to install them on Ubuntu using a crossover tool called Wine. Therefore, refer to the following Web site to install Wine on Ubuntu: Winehq.org. I recommend you install Wine 1.2 which is the stable version of this Ubuntu package. Then go to Winehg.org Help and find out how to use Wine. You can also Google it and find a great deal of information about using this tool.

7. That is about it! Now remember the Ubuntu Help and Support I asked you to keep up. Okay, now it may be necessary that you add application shortcuts (icons) on your new desktop. This depends on whether you end up with no icons on your computer after you removed the top panel and hid the bottom one. It is your choice because you can add or delete icons anytime you want. In addition, you can add a system menu shortcut (the Ubuntu logo) or any other available system shortcuts. Please go to Help and Support , then Customizing Your Computer, and lastly, Customizing Your Panels.

Therefore, last of all I hope your new desktop is pleasing to your eyes and spirit.

Edited by dailyacts

• 1 month later...

I am a fairly long time user and Linux enthusiast. I have a few suggestions for you. If you are just providing information for others to do.what you are doing then this doesn't really apply, but if you would like to create an ISO file of the finished product you may want to make sure what ever graphics you use is licensed for reuse. You may already know that while Linux is free, not just as in cost but free to redistribute and reuse, most developers or distro maintainers are quite serious about abiding to licensing.

Now if you would like to create an iso file of your finished product and put it up for download and would like some help please let me know and I am happy to help. I love helping to get more people involved with and familiar with Linux. Also if you are heading down the possible redistribute path it is quite easy to repackage it in another distro or desktop.

Now if you know all this please forgive me I don't mean to come off like a know it all. I have a habit of trolling forums and blog posts to see who is discussing Linux in relation to LDS or just religion in general and have found very little. So to me this is great.

Being the geek that I am I love the idea of combining my technology passion with my love of our Lord. If anyone says you shouldn't put imagery of our Heavenly Father or our Savior on a computer then I say pull down the pictures from your wall. Because me having those images on my computer are no different then you decorating your house. Ok enough babbling for now. And keep it up! Please let me know if you need any help. Finally sorry if there are many misspellings or bad punctuation. I typed this.out on my phone.

• 11 months later...

I dual-boot Windows and Ubuntu. I've done a dual-boot on every computer I've had in the last 5 years or so. I've had the thought that open source software fits the Church's standard of 'self-reliance' in a modern technical sense.

I started off with Puppy Linux on an old Windows 98 (FIRST edition) machine. I had just bought a new computer from Circuit City that came with a bad motherboard. They fixed it, but I was without PC for about a week. I don't even remember how I heard about Linux, but I went over a friends house and burned a copy of Puppy that worked like a champ on my Win 98 machine. I remember getting my new PC back and it being a tad slower than Puppy when it came to browsing and simple use stuff. The last few versions of Ubuntu have been disappointing. It's become a very bloated system, sluggish, and more confusing to use, IMHO of course.

"The Church is now seeking to make high-speed Internet available in about 85 percent of meetinghouses by the end of 2011." Would it be worth it for the Church to develop an operating system specifically for use in meting houses?

Well there's Chrome OS. I'm pretty sure that was designed to be a lightweight OS, primarily for browsing and online work. I completely agree with you. The church teaches provident living. What could be a more provident way to live than to save hundreds of dollars on software on each computer? Many people were talking about building a Mormon Linux distro but apparently those ideas never came to fruition. I don't think we need a Mormon distro, I think we need a Mormon repo. The church needs to make it's Linux compatible software easily available...and needs to make more of it. I just wish I knew more about Linux and programming so I could help. I've been using/learning it since July 2011. I've learned a lot but there is still so much to learn.

"The Church is now seeking to make high-speed Internet available in about 85 percent of meetinghouses by the end of 2011." Would it be worth it for the Church to develop an operating system specifically for use in meting houses?

To be fair, it'd probably cost the church more money to use linux on their meeting house machines. An OEM windows license costs next to nothing, so the church would not spend much more money by using windows. Staff training would cost less, as most people already know how to use windows. The church bespoke software would cost less to develop, as linux programmers cost a lot more than windows programmers in general. Various alternatives would have to be found for those meeting house setups where they use windows only compatible software. I just don't think it's viable from a financial perspective for them to switch.

The biggest saving in terms of using open source software has already been made - open office is in use on nearly all meeting house machines, as opposed to microsoft office, or similar.

So maybe y'all can help me. I like computers, but I have never gotten very far into Linux. I have a Toshiba NB305 netbook on which the person I bought it from installed Windows 7 Ultimate. It runs, but never very fast. Last Christmas I started messing around with a few Linux distros, but I never got any of them to work reliably on it.

I have tried Ubuntu (10.10, 11.4, 11.10), Mint, Peppermint, JoliOS, and possibly a few others. Ubuntu I never managed to boot more than once (from a flashdrive) before getting some kind of kernel error that I never figured out how to fix. Peppermint worked pretty well, but then the mouse driver just stopped working. I still need to mess with it more to see if I can get it to work. JoliOS has a problem with BYU's network. I know what it is, and I would have to alter the OS to make it work with it.

Anyway, I wondered, are there are Linux distros that you would recommend to a beginner who doesn't know too much. I want to keep Windows on my netbook, but Linux would work very well for almost everything I need it for, as long as I can get Linux to work. Or if you know what I am doing wrong, that would also be helpful. I can give more detail if needed.

I started with CentOS and have stayed with CentOS. CentOS is a clone of Red Hat Enterprise Linux. The only difference is, Red Hat costs money and CentOS is free. Fedora is sorta the futuristic Red Hat and is maintained by Red Hat. It also is free. I'd recommend trying one of those. Good luck!

I started with CentOS and have stayed with CentOS. CentOS is a clone of Red Hat Enterprise Linux. The only difference is, Red Hat costs money and CentOS is free. Fedora is sorta the futuristic Red Hat and is maintained by Red Hat. It also is free. I'd recommend trying one of those. Good luck!

See everytime I try a red hat based distro, I miss apt-get to much to give them a fair chance, I did like OpenSuse though. I'd personally recomend something lightweight like crunchbang, or puppy. I run Lubuntu (Ubuntu with LXDE instead of Gnome3) and it runs great on my netbook.

The LDS software repo would be amazing, or even a ppa. I just don't know of any lds oriented open-source software.