Other countries, marriage laws, and the church

LDSChristian

A person asked a question on yahoo answers:

"Is early marriage common among Mormons?

by early marriage I mean around 15 years of age. Just after puberty"

I know this is usually in association with the FLDS but what about laws in other countries that actually have a young age for being legally married? Does the church require the couple to be at least 18 to be married or whatever the law is of the country?

Edited by LDSChristian

I know this is usually in association with the FLDS but what about laws in other countries that actually have a young age for being legally married? Does the church require the couple to be at least 18 to be married or whatever the law is of the country?

well the pamphlet for youth states that serious dating should wait till a person is at least 16.

havent really seen any cut and dry rules saying absolutely no one under such and such an age. mostlikely because matters like this are under the stake presidents and bishops jurisdiction, and have to go thru a few hoops to get cleared.

that being said, i don't see any problems in regards to younger people getting married as long as the proper methods are followed and they are prepared for it and it is done in rightiousness.

Edited by Blackmarch

I've met many folks on my mission who were church members married at 16, but they are not permitted to have a temple marriage.

I imagine the issue with a temple marriage for couples under the age of 18 is the husband would not be an Elder yet and thus not eligible to receive the endowment prior to sealing.

Guess that would make sense. I just knew a 17-year-old who had a temple marriage. The spouse was 21.

I'm assuming, Backroads, the 17-21 marriage that occurred in the temple had the husband as the 21 year old.

Edited by Dravin

I imagine the issue with a temple marriage for couples under the age of 18 is the husband would not be an Elder yet and thus not eligible to receive the endowment prior to sealing.

I'm assuming, Backroads, the 17-21 marriage that occurred in the temple had the husband as the 21 year old.

Indeed, that was the case.

Let me just add that at minimum for a temple marriage, the man has to at least be 19 because the Melchizidek priesthood is required. As far as the woman being younger than 18, I would assume that it depends wholly on the law. I haven't ever heard of there being a minimum age even discussed, let alone as a point of doctrine, apart from the Melchizidek priesthood age.

Actually there are times when men are ordained to the MP at a younger age. For example, in some areas outside the USA, young men may leave on their missions at the age of 18, requiring them to receive the priesthood at that age.

If a 17 year old is married, he goes into the Elder's Quorum and can be ordained an Elder.

Let me just add that at minimum for a temple marriage, the man has to at least be 19 because the Melchizidek priesthood is required. As far as the woman being younger than 18, I would assume that it depends wholly on the law. I haven't ever heard of there being a minimum age even discussed, let alone as a point of doctrine, apart from the Melchizidek priesthood age.

I was ordained into the Melchizedek Priesthood at 18 with permission from the stake president.

I went to BYU for just my freshman year, and in the information packet from my future ward, there was a note encouraging the males to talk with their bishops about being ordained prior to leaving for college. I'm a woman, but I was only 17 when I left for school, and had I been male, I might have been ordained "underage."

Out of curiosity, what other situations allows for ordination under 19?

None. Maybe way back when bot no longer these days. It states in the Handbook of Instructions that "Worthy brethren may receive the Melchizedek Priesthood and be ordained elders when they are at least 18 years old."

"The stake president oversees the conferral of the Melchizedek Priesthood and ordinations to the offices of elder and high priest. However, the bishop usually initiates recommendations for these ordinations."

Out of curiosity, what other situations allows for ordination under 19?

Age isn't really specified in the scriptures other than the age for baptism. so mainly the age requirements we do have come from church regulations and a command to keep it orderly. so pretty much any oddball situation where an individual would be required to have it but don't meet the age requirements... and where the leadership are inspired that they should have it for the situation they are in.

None. Maybe way back when bot no longer these days. It states in the Handbook of Instructions that "Worthy brethren may receive the Melchizedek Priesthood and be ordained elders when they are at least 18 years old."

The quote (and I looked it up earlier before making my earlier commend in the thread) says at least 18 years old, not at least 19. Convention is at 19 (usually when they leave on their mission or head off to college), but the handbook, or at least the quoted section, doesn't have any objection to ordaining every Priest they can at age 18 (aka younger than 19).

I was ordained at 18 and was actively asked to use the priesthood as a way of getting experience and training. It was also suggested I go to the Temple a few times before I left on my mission. Also, in my ward, they've been ordaining them at 18. So I'm not sure what to say.

I was ordained at 18 and was actively asked to use the priesthood as a way of getting experience and training. It was also suggested I go to the Temple a few times before I left on my mission. Also, in my ward, they've been ordaining them at 18. So I'm not sure what to say.

Sorry, we're cross talking. I read your "none" as a "nope". :blush:

The Church requires us to heed A of F 12We believe in being asubject to bkings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in cobeying, honoring, and sustaining the dlaw.

Thus said, what the law is for the country you are living in, then that is what you will do. In England for instance, they do not recognize the authority of marriage in the Temple. Thus all members must be married civilly first, then go through the Temple to be sealed. The Church waives the one year waiting period for those countries, like England, who do not recongnize the legality of our Temple marriage/sealing.

If the country you are living in, says that couples may legally be married at 15 or 16; then those couples will need to speak to their Stake President to see if they can be married in the Temple or if they need to have a civil ceremony first, then have the Temple sealing later on when they reach what ever age the Church requires.

The men must hold the Melchizedek Priesthood before they can recieve their endowments. That has already been disclosed previously. Women are encouraged to wait until their mid twenties before receiving their endowments IF they are single and not going on a mission. If they are going on a mission, then they receive their endowments prior to leaving for the MTC. The minimum age for women going on missions is 21. IF they are marrying in the Temple, then they receive their endowments prior to that.

As for your question regarding early, 15 years or reaching puberty, marriage- NO the Church does not encourage this.

This is a partial quote from For The Strength of Youth:

https://lds.org/youth/for-the-strength-of-youth/dating?lang=eng

Do not date until you are at least 16 years old. Dating before then can lead to immorality, limit the number of other young people you meet, and deprive you of experiences that will help you choose an eternal partner.

• 5 weeks later...

Backroads, I was ordained at 18 so I could attend my older brother's temple marriage. Someone mentioned that in some countries, men are ordained at 18 to go on missions. As an American, this exception didn't apply. But I did have to get permission, which actually came from the president of the church at the time. My being ordained was conditioned on my promise to go on a mission when I turned 19.

As for the marriage in Saudi of an older man to a 12 year old, let me suggest that we need to be aware that different cultures are just that, different. I'm not saying this to justify a situation such as was mentioned. But I do say it because sometimes we don't really understand what's going on. Not all countries have marriage laws as detailed as US state laws are. Moreover, marriage in most Middle Eastern countries, especially Saudi Arabia, is a two-step process, something we don't even think about. I'm not talking about our two steps of engagement and then marriage. I'm talking about marriage itself. One can technically be "married" while the actually wedding doesn't take place until sometime later. (It might help to think of the story of Mary's marriage to Joseph in the NT.) In other words, you can have a marriage at a young age, but the "wife," for lack of a better English word, still lives with her parents until the wedding, after which the marrige will be consummated. This even impacts inheritance law. For instance, if a woman has achieved the first step of the marriage but not the second step and her "betrothed" dies before the wedding, all that was spelled out in the marriage contract must be given to her before anyone else inherits. And unlike our marriages, a Muslim women is not legally a member of her husband's family. Legally she remains a member of her birth family.

As I said, I'm not sharing this to justify marrying a child, but simply to point out that since marriage customs vary from culture to culture, we need to be aware that what constitutes being married in country x might not be the same thing as being married in country y. Indeed, what constitutes an adult varies from culture to culture. In our own country, for instance, the very idea of "adolescence" is a very recent concept. Hence, in some cultures, children "grow up" faster than in other cultures.