Service ends up different than expected

NeuroTypical

Non-traditional story here, but then again my wife and I seem to generate endless non-traditional stories.

My wife and I saw two guys off at the side of the road with their hood up outside of Colorado Springs. Ordinarily, I'd suggest nobody pull over for two males between the ages of 18 and 35, but she's got an amazing ability to read body language, and figured these guys were not a threat to us, so we pulled over.

It's a buddy's truck, they call him, he's ok with them leaving it on the side of the road, and can we give them a lift to their appointment at the Springs. It's on our way - no problem.

They're friendly guys, although obviously worldly. For some reason, they guess that we are Mormons, and they give a few compliments and whatnot. Anyway, it turns out they're in a big hurry, because they're heading to a rave, and need to get there before it ends so they have a chance at 'scoring some hot chicks'.

I'm sitting there, trying not to look uptight, and thinking "So wait - these guys needed help, but am I actually providing christian service by enabling their drunken debauchery?" But fortunately, my wife also has an amazing ability to set a friendly and light-hearted atmosphere with such folks, so we're laughing back and forth about how they're going to hell, and how they should find nice Christian girls that will make them clean up and stop partying and get them into a church.

Everything turned out all right in the end - the "rave" was for 14-17 yr olds only. Our randy billy-goat passengers were in their mid-20's, and had absolutely zero desire to hang out with a bunch of 'pre-legal teenie-boppers'. So we gave them one last light-hearted round of "You know God sent us to make sure you got His hint, right?" And drove off laughing, leaving them in the rave parking lot trying to call anyone that could help them salvage their Saturday night.

As I think back on it, it wasn't a half-bad missionary moment.

True story.

LM

• 2 weeks later...