Earthquake in Japan

Saldrin

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The video footage of the waves is chilling. A seemingly slow-moving wall of debris knocking over houses and flipping cars end over end, swallowing entire farm fields in just a few seconds... Terrifying. :(

The deathtoll is already into the hundreds. I pray it doesn't go into the thousands like the tsunami in 2004 did. :(

:( Not a good day for Japan. Good day to pray for them.

Anyone hearing anything about tsunamis hitting other countries?

Hawaii is starting to feel the first effects of it. Not too bad yet though I guess Kauai is reporting 6-8 foot waves. But haven't heard of any damage yet.

The video footage of the waves is chilling. A seemingly slow-moving wall of debris knocking over houses and flipping cars end over end, swallowing entire farm fields in just a few seconds... Terrifying. :(

The deathtoll is already into the hundreds. I pray it doesn't go into the thousands like the tsunami in 2004 did. :(

I don't mean to downplay the tragedy here, but I would be very surprised if the death toll in Japan climbed into the thousands. A lot of the deaths in any natural disaster don't occur until after the disaster is finished, usually due to a lack of supplies, access to medical care, etc. If I remember correctly, the 2004 tsunami wiped out an area with poor infrastructure, making it difficult for relief supplies and help to be distributed. Japan's infrastructure should allow the ability to minimize this effect.

But 8.9! I heard on the radio that it's the largest recorded quake in Japan's history.

Well Japanese media are reporting hundreds dead and hundreds missing. Hundreds add up very quickly to thousands. They are citing local and national police. We shall see.

I don't mean to downplay the tragedy here, but I would be very surprised if the death toll in Japan climbed into the thousands. A lot of the deaths in any natural disaster don't occur until after the disaster is finished, usually due to a lack of supplies, access to medical care, etc. If I remember correctly, the 2004 tsunami wiped out an area with poor infrastructure, making it difficult for relief supplies and help to be distributed. Japan's infrastructure should allow the ability to minimize this effect.

But 8.9! I heard on the radio that it's the largest recorded quake in Japan's history.

It's hard to get the whole realistic scope of things from the media, but there are reports of a whole passenger train missing. Those things are packed with people sometimes. 50 aftershocks, some as high as 7. I feel the same as I did when I watched the twin towers fall. You know people are dying right before your eyes.

Well Japanese media are reporting hundreds dead and hundreds missing. Hundreds add up very quickly to thousands. They are citing local and national police. We shall see.

It's hard to get the whole realistic scope of things from the media, but there are reports of a whole passenger train missing. Those things are packed with people sometimes. 50 aftershocks, some as high as 7. I feel the same as I did when I watched the twin towers fall. You know people are dying right before your eyes.

You guys are right. I hadn't considered that population density might be working against them here.

Natural disasters seem to be increasing in magnitude and frequency. In the last few years.. Indian Ocean Earthquake and Tsunami, Haiti, Argentina, etc.

I think it's more likely that with our 24 hour news and the internet, we hear about these disasters as they happen, and people were able to be warned about the tsunami.

Explosion Rocks Japan Nuclear Plant after Quake

WASHINGTON — Japanese officials said on Saturday there had been an explosion at a nuclear power plant following Friday’s huge earthquake, blowing off the roof of the structure, bringing down walls and causing a radiation leak of unspecified proportions.

This is terrifying to me.

Elphaba

I'm praying that the missionaries that haven't been accounted for yet are safe and unharmed!

Granted: Church's Missionaries in Japan All Safe and Accounted For - LDS Newsroom

I personally have a friend whose son is serving in Japan right now. She said this on her Facebook yesterday afternoon:

The good news is that Josh is safe in Japan. The bad news is that he may be delayed coming home because he may need to help with the clean up efforts. So glad he is alright.

I can't think of too many better reasons (nitty-gritty service) for delaying a return home from a mission.