Sir Gibbie

zippy_do46

I recently read a classic for young readers, Sir Gibbie by George Macdonald, and edited by Kathryn Lindskoog. The cover of a man holding a young child dressed in an over size coat and rags attracted my attention. I asked the young lady that brought it in for credit what she thought of the book. She said it was one of her all time favorite read.

The book tells of the adventures of a small orphan boy who can not speak. The time table is over a century ago. I did enjoy the book. Has anyone read this book? I think I would like to read the original book without all of the changes.

Dr. T. You might check this one out. It is for ages 9-13. The edit updated the language. My understanding is that it used the orginal old Northern Scots dialect. She up-dated the language. She was the winner of the Gold Medallion Book Award in recognition of excellence in evangelical Christian literature for this edition.

It is a story that takes Sir Gibbie from childhood faith to adult faith. It tells how his faith affects those around him for the good or bad.

One of the parts that hit me as funny at 2:30 in the morning (I could not put it down) was the description of reading the newspaper. Donal, one of Sir Gibbie's friends says, that reading a newspaper was largely a waste of time. He says that they write about things before they know them for sure. He suggests that they just wait until the matter was settled , "... you have to read out of your mind one day what you read into it the day before." :) I think this would be a fun book to read in its orginal form.

I recently discovered George MacDonald myself and have really enjoyed what i've read so far which is just The Princess and the Goblin and The Princess and Curdie. They were both excellent. Lots of religious overtones which isn't surprising considering George MacDonald was a Christian minister. The Princess and the Goblin was mainly a story about faith. The Princess and Curdie was about repentance and also somewhat about receiving and following revelation/inspiration.

Some links of interest:

George MacDonald - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

George MacDonald: an anthology : 356 ... - Google Books

It seems George MacDonald was quite an inspiration for C.S. Lewis and other fantasy writers.

If you have a Kindle, you can get the complete works of George MacDonald at a very low price.

I'm currently reading At the Back of the North Wind, but i will definitely try Sir Gibbie next.