Question about a certain type of sin....

newlight

What do you call it when you delay your repentence on purpose or you decide to sin today and repent in 6 months..kinda like premeditating your repentance so that you can sin today...

Trying to find some talks or scriptures about it...

Thanks

Having faith that a bus won't knock you down tomorrow...

Delayed repentance? Procrastination?

Yep, I think a scripture (or talk search) search of procrastinating the day of your repentance will pull up some good stuff on the first part of the OP's question. Personally the second part, the sinning now and just repent later, I'd call that trivilizing/horribly misunderstanding Christ's sacrifice. It was made to free us from sin, not to give us an excuse to wallow in it.

This New Era article seems to agree with me: Q&A: Questions and Answers - New Era June 2001

It references this talk: Making the Right Choices

Edited by Dravin

I call it the "easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission" syndrome. And I also agree that it horribly flaunts the Atonement of Christ as something we can use at our lesiure, rather than something we ought to strive to need less and less as we go through our lives.

I think of it this way; Jesus suffered the pains of all sin so that we wouldn't have to. If we then continue in sin deliberately, then we're putting Christ in the position that what he went through was of no use to us, or that we don't regard it to be of any worth in our lives.

Add to that the final part of the hypothetical....once we've had our fill of sinning, we then approach Jesus and seek out the blessings of the Atonement....suddenly when we've had our fun, we seek to avoid the consequences of our decision to willfully sin.

How much more insulting can we possibly be? It's like we want to go swimming without having to get wet.

True repentance must involve a complete turning away from the evil, a heartfelt desire to remove the very urge to sin from our lives, not a full abandonment of ourselves to sin as much as we please when we're jonesing for some 'fun', then a temporary cessation until the next time our desires build.

We ought to take advantage of the Atonement as often as possible, but only as we strive to improve our standing before God each time. We need to feel true sorrow for our weaknesses and a drive to overcome them. We need to recognize what Jesus went through for our sakes and hold it rightfully as the single most generous gift to ever be offered to us. We cannot afford to take it for granted.

just another way to take the name of god in vain?

Probably not in the traditional sense (the cursing sense), but I can see where one could make that claim. Particularly if one is baptized, or in other words has taken the name of Christ upon oneself, by deliberately sining we quite literally make that endeavor vanity (in the pointless sense) as we heap condemnation upon ourselves.

What if....when it's your time to leave this world Heavenly Father decides He's busy that day and thinks it is better for Him to wait a month or 12 before he allows you to enter, or not. Yeah, it's cool to leave Him hanging so you can slip a few more months of sinning in. No problem at all!!! :) Go for it. Like Jamie said, just hope you don't get hit by a trash truck before you get the chance to repent. Wouldn't that be awful. :(

What do you call it when you delay your repentence on purpose or you decide to sin today and repent in 6 months..kinda like premeditating your repentance so that you can sin today...

Trying to find some talks or scriptures about it...

Thanks

unrepentant, procrastination.