spirit of infirmity

I am curious what most think the "spirit of infirmity" is in Luke 13:11.

Is this an actual "spirit"?

or Is this just a description of an illness?

The scriptures seem to suggest this infirmity is controlled by Satan, verse 16 says, "And ought not this woman, being a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan hath bound, lo, these eighteen years, be loosed from this bond on the sabbath day?"

There are several examples in the NT, but it seems that illnesses of all kinds (in this case, possibly arthritis or scoliosis, etc.) and being under the influence of Satan are similar to Jesus.

So, what is this "spirit"? a real spirit or just a descriptive term?

I've been reading and this is what I found:

2 Corinthians 12:7–10:

“And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

“For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.

“And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

“Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.”

I believe that we are given adversity to bring us closer to our Heavenly Father and our Savior. All through the scriptures people fall away and stop relying on God when things are going great. They start relying on the arm of flesh.

Is there a "spirit"? No. What I think the phrase "spirit of infirmity" means our state of mind. Its an attitude, a response to infirmity or adversity.

Just my :twocents:

The influence of unclean spirits does not mean that a person has been overcome by evil. The war of heaven continues between that which is good and that which is evil. In this mortal existance we are fallen and if not for the atonement we would live forever under the influence of Satan.

Pain, suffering and illness come because of our fallen state and influence of Satan. That does not mean that if we repent that we will no longer experience pain and suffering or even illness. In this state we experience the good from the evil. But in the resurrection all pain, suffering and illness will have an end.

In our fallen state the sun shins on the righteous and the wicked - the same as our experiences with pain and suffering. Not until the righteous are sapareted from the wicked will pain, suffering, illness and even death be part of us.

The Traveler

I've been reading and this is what I found:

2 Corinthians 12:7–10:

“And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

“For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.

“And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

“Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.”

I believe that we are given adversity to bring us closer to our Heavenly Father and our Savior. All through the scriptures people fall away and stop relying on God when things are going great. They start relying on the arm of flesh.

Is there a "spirit"? No. What I think the phrase "spirit of infirmity" means our state of mind. Its an attitude, a response to infirmity or adversity.

Just my :twocents:

I appreciate your comments, I think I agree with that. It is not really a "spirit" but either a state of mind or the body itself which polarizes toward the devil. I think this should be thought of also when reading about "seven devils" leaving Mary Magdalene, being healed of evil spirits and infirmities and other examples in the Bible. So, "spirit of infirmity" and "spirit of the devil" may be different things but similar in that they are not really "spirits", they are either states of mind or the body itself.