Calling off a baptism :(

ElizabethJ25

I am so sad to say that I am calling off/postponing my baptism. I had a LOT of bad things happen to me in the two weeks before it (I know everyone says that is normal, but these things are REALLY bad) like my second family who is LDS completely turning on me and treating me like dirt. They were supposed to come and support me, and then told me they couldn't because there is too much else going on (they had plane tickets). Also, my boyfriend who is LDS just dumped me. You would think I did something terribly wrong, and yet I can't think of a single thing. It's been so hard and hurtful. I know their family is going through a lot right now, but they are taking their anger out on me. Anyways, I still love the church and want to keep going, but I am so embarassed and don't want to deal with everyone asking me questions, so I really don't feel comfortable going on Sunday. What are your thoughts on this?

Satan tries really hard to stop valiant spirits from being baptized. He's working hard on you.

My advice is to go to church. Pray. Read your scriptures. Talk to the bishop or the missionaries...somebody. There isn't a reason for you to be embarassed because of other's behavior.

I hope you can find the hope and peace you're looking for.

You got thrown for a pretty good loop (understatement, I know). There is nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed about. Just do as Applepansy suggests and make a goal for a new date. This time you'll be more aware of what can happen when you go to make this kind of life changing decision. There will be plenty out there to keep you from doing it.

And don't worry, you're Father in Heaven knows what's going on and still loves you lots. That will never change no matter what we do.

Sorry all of this is happening at once! :'(

I second what slamjet says, "And don't worry, you're Father in Heaven knows what's going on and still loves you lots. That will never change no matter what we do."

I get embarressed easy, so I do understand. (I almost didn't go to Thanksgiving dinner this last year because I didn't think anyone would like what I was bringing.) Try to get over this, tho, as you have done nothing to be embarressed about.

Considering Baptism is probably one of the Biggest events of your life. I can see Satan trying anything he can to make you second guess your choices. When you say this is normal it some ways it is and some ways it is. Yes its normal that we all have bad days. Some maybe not that bad (or they probably only seem this bad). But even more the bad days tend to come before the spiritual ones. As you know Before Joseph Smith went to pray he had darkness come around him! Even after that Joseph Smith still did what he knew was right. Nobody was going to change his mind!

There comes a time you have to make that choice for yourself. For your Salvation. Its not going to be easy! But you know why you are doing it! You know God wants you to do it!

Sometimes, we need time to mourn as well. Your broken relationship is like a mini death. I am so sorry for that. Definitely keep going to church, pray, and ponder the scriptures, BUT, what really helps too is listening to the hymns. You can get them for free here: LDS Church Music and of course you can youtube the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. I find music is very helpful to me during my times of trials.

*hugs*

That is really really tough, but if you don't go through with your baptism, I'm worried that you will regret it for a long time.

It is true, right before you do something that you should do, things kinda fall apart.

that is probably the worst times of my life, when I was becoming a church member. I won't go into it, but when I was done my whole life was different, literally...my job, my relationships with my family, my home, my health...it was awful, horrible...I'd do it all again.

It feels so great to be baptized, squeaky squeaky clean. It will be worth it, hard, but worth it.

Doing the right thing is never popular, give up popular, it's not all it's cracked up to be.

I am sorry to hear this. However I know someone who is glad to hear it (well, I don't know him personally, but I know of him). He is not a nice guy, and he is REALLY into disrupting people's lives in anyway possible, which sucks because he has had thousands of years of practice, while we have all had less than 100 (at least I think no one on these forums is over 100). Maybe you have heard of him, his name is Lucifer.

In all serriousness, you will find that as you draw near to any date that you plan to make a HUGE step in the RIGHT direction, this guy or one of his flock (sometimes several) will show up and try to stop you in anyway possible.

I would urge you to attend church Sunday and reschedule ASAP. I mean, if I can attend Church in the middle of a warzone (with Muslim calls to prayer playing on loudspeakers while we bless the sacrament) then you can face the people who care about you and about your salvation.

Good Luck

Thank you ALL so much. It really means a lot. This has been heartbreaking for me mostly as I have seen a "good" LDS family who I was very close with turn mean and hurtful. It made me question the church. I know that the members aren't perfect, but the gospel is, and I know how the gospel makes me feel, which is why I am just going to take a little break to re-gather my thoughts, and then reschedule a baptism for the close future. The thing is that I made a HUGE deal about m baptism. I was SO excited for it, and got everyone else amped up for it. Now, it is hard to postpone because everyone is probably like "what the heck happened?" Such is life, though.

I'm so sorry you have had to do this. As an excommunicated member, if my bishop told me I was able to get re-baptized on a certain date. I would be camped outside the church. Wild horses wouldn't stop it from happening. When you have had all the blessings of the church and then lose them, you really feel it. That's when I learnt that the church really is true and I blew it big time.

I'm glad your taking your baptism seriously enough, that your willing to postpone it until you feel more confident. I personally feel that this will make you a stronger member when you eventually take the plunge.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a temple near you, I would go there even though you can't go inside. You can still soak up plenty of the spirit just by being on the grounds. If they have a visitor's center, even better. During the months when I was considering returning to the Church, I spent a lot of time on the grounds of the temple (I did not yet have a recommend), just enjoying the view, reading my scriptures, praying and spending time in the visitor's center. When DH was investigating the Church he did the same thing. Just spending time on the temple grounds helped us IMMENSELY, especially DH as he went through a lot of hardships right before his baptism. I highly recommend you spend some time on the temple grounds if possible. I have no doubt doing so will help bring you peace.