Quentin L. Cook - Saturday a.m. session

He spoke much of the faith and endurance of the Pioneer women.

Much of what we accomplish in the Church is due to the selfless service of women.

Sisters have key roles in the Church, in family life and as individuals that are essential to Heavenly Father’s plan.

LDS women are incredible because of the way they face the trials of life.

Members need to understand that Bishops have been counseled to delegate so that he can spend more time with his own family.

We need to sustain the Bishops in this.

No woman should ever feel the need to apologize because she feels her contribution is less because she is devoting her time and life to raising her children.

I thought it was a very good talk although this part a little ironic to be shared in Conference :)

... From our earliest history both men and women pray, perform the music, give the sermons, and sing in the choir, even in sacrament meeting, our most sacred meeting.”

Edited by Suzie

Why is that ironic?

I thought it was ironic that he gave the example of women praying in meetings and yet women don't pray in conference (and he gave the example in conference). lol

Edited by Suzie

He mentioned Sacrament meeting not general conference.

I know that Pam. The idea behind the statement was to illustrate equality and the fact that women in our church do pray in our meetings, even in the most important ones like sacrament meeting. However, they don't pray in conference and he said this in conference and that's why I found it to be ironic, not disrespectfully ironic but just a little funny.

I think you're wrong, Suzie, but I'll have to take some time to find it. It doesn't matter to me, but I can hear that Utah sister voice in my head praying in General Conference. Now I have to make sure that was planted there by an actual event and not by my own imagination.

I guess I don't see the irony in it but that's okay. :) Now let's get back to the OP as I don't want this derailed but to remember what the message was about.

I think you're wrong, Suzie, but I'll have to take some time to find it. It doesn't matter to me, but I can hear that Utah sister voice in my head praying in General Conference. Now I have to make sure that was planted there by an actual event and not by my own imagination.

You won't find it but that's okay. :)

Pam, I may start a thread about it if we don't have one already. Thank you.

Why wouldn't women pray in conference?

I don't know.

I have been trying to find the answer for a long time. However, I don't think Pam wants this particular issue discussed in this thread, maybe you can start a thread about it? Just a suggestion. :)

I am positive that I've seen women give prayers in General Conference general sessions (if you don't want to count YW or RS, but that IS General Conference as well), but don't know how to back that up. Anyway, I would guess that it has as much to do with ratios. All the GA's are men and there are so few women and the fact that the week before there's either RS or YW conference, where women give the prayers. So, while I do not think it is required that men give prayers, I think it happens because there aren't alot of women to choose from.

I am positive that I've seen women give prayers in General Conference general sessions (if you don't want to count YW or RS, but that IS General Conference as well), but don't know how to back that up.

Yes, I know the YW and RS IS General Conference but I wasn't referring to those. ;) I know sisters don't pray in GC. I contacted mormon.org and they said they don't have an answer for me so I will continue researching.

Anyway, I would guess that it has as much to do with ratios. All the GA's are men and there are so few women and the fact that the week before there's either RS or YW conference, where women give the prayers. So, while I do not think it is required that men give prayers, I think it happens because there aren't alot of women to choose from.

Well, we have Primary Presidency, YW Presidency and RS President (each one with a President, two counselors and a secretary), not to mention a board in each organization with dozens of sisters. That makes at least 12 sisters to choose from the GA. Hmmmm personally, I don't think that is the issue. I will try to search more.

If it is true then, I know their is a legitimate reason for it. I don't know the doctrine on it, if there is any.

I was thinking maybe is just "tradition" (similar issue occurred when sisters didn't praying in Sacrament meeting, a longggg time ago). If is just tradition, I would love a change.