Why are you here

pooter1

Guest mormonmusic
Hidden

When I was a born-again Christian I was under the impression we were here to be saved by accepting Christ as our personal Savior. Then we live our life doing good to other people and helping them come to a knowledge of Christ.

• 1 month later...

I am here to follow God's will, obedient to His call, and ultimately bringing glory to His Name. I believe we were created to glorify God. I believe this life is not the life of pleasure but of work, and God's children should be working to see His kingdom come and His Will be done, no matter the cost. :)

I am here to follow God's will, obedient to His call, and ultimately bringing glory to His Name. I believe we were created to glorify God. I believe this life is not the life of pleasure but of work, and God's children should be working to see His kingdom come and His Will be done, no matter the cost. :)

Just to kind of add to this....while I don't believe we are here to dilly dally away in nothing but pleasures...how great the pleasure we do receive in doing His work. :)

Just to kind of add to this....while I don't believe we are here to dilly dally away in nothing but pleasures...how great the pleasure we do receive in doing His work. :)

:) Aw Pam, and how much greater in the next! :) I can't wait to meet everyone and just see how God's story unfolded in each life. Looking back on my own through the joys and the pains, the questions of why that never got answered to see how beautifully it was put into His plan. That's one thing I look forward to looking back on at the end of my life, seeing God's footprints present. :) <3

• 1 month later...

This comes from the Baltimore Catechism which was taught in Catholic schools for some time. It was written in Q&A format.

3. Why did God make us?

God made us to show forth His goodness and to share with us His everlasting happiness in heaven.

Eye has not seen nor ear heard, nor has it entered into the heart of man, what things God has prepared for those who love him. (I Corinthians 2:9)

4. What must we do to gain the happiness of heaven?

To gain the happiness of heaven we must know, love, and serve God in this world.

Lay not up to yourselves treasures on earth; where the rust and moth consume and where thieves break through and steal. But lay up to yourselves treasures in heaven; where neither the rust nor moth doth consume, and where thieves do not break through nor steal. (Matthew 6:19-20)

Ive been thinking about how I know the purpose of being here on earth is to get a body and to be tested.What do other religons say about why they are here on earth? What is the purpose of being born?

From my distant memory of the Baltimore Catechism (used by Catholics): We are here to know, love, and serve God in this world.

• 2 weeks later...

1.Where did we come from?

Our souls are eternal. Before this life you lived with your father in heaven. you chose to follow his "plan of happiness" and thus got a body. Picture a rope going forever one way, and forever the opposite way. Grab ahold of that rope. Thats where you are in mortality.

2.Why are we here?

We are here to show that we will be obedient by faith. To show our pure love of God. Thus proving ourselves worthy to be have what God has. Our Inheritence...after all we are literal sons and daughters of the most high.

3. Where are we going?

Unless you are perfect, when you die you will experience some form of Guilt for your own actions. It is justice taking its course. However everybody will be redeemed through Jesus Christ eventually.

In a hurry...will probably edit this later...

• 8 months later...

1.Where did we come from?
2.Why are we here?
3. Where are we going?
In the Name of Allah, the Most
Gracious, the Most Merciful.

Sura 10. Yunus,
(Jonah):

10.3. Surely, your Lord is Allah, Who created the heavens and the earth in six Days- And then rose over the Throne (of power), regulating and governing all things. No intercessor (or pleader can request from Him) except after His permission (is given to him). This is Allah your Lord; Therefore Him, you worship: Will you not remember (to take the guidance)?
10.4. To Him will be your return- All of you. The Promise of Allah is true and sure. It is He Who begins the process of creation, and repeats it, that He may reward with justice those who believe and work righteousness; But those who reject (and disbelieved) him will have streams of boiling liquids (to drink), and a painful penalty because they rejected Him.
10.5. It is He Who made the sun to be a shining glory and the moon to be a light (of beauty), and set out the phases for it; So that you may know the number of years and count (the time). Allah did not create this except in truth and righteousness. (Like this) He explains His Signs in detail, for people(s) who have knowledge.
10.6. Surely, in the changing of the night and day, and in all that Allah has created, in the heavens and the earth, (there) are Signs for those who fear Him.
10.7. Verily, those who do not keep their hope on their meeting with Us, but are happy and content with the life of the world (and present), and those who do not pay attention to Our Signs-
10.8. (For those), their home is the Fire, because of the (evil) they have earned.
10.9. Verily, those who believe, and work righteousness- Their Lord will guide them through their Faith:
Beneath them will flow rivers in Gardens (the Paradise) of delight.

Interpretation/translation of the name Allah means "The Only One to be Worshipped"

Numbers 23:19 "God [is] not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do [it?] or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?"
Mark 10:17-18 "And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life? And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? [there is] none good but one, [that is,] God."
Deuteronomy 6:4 "Hear, O Israel! The Lord is our God, the Lord is ONE"
The Qur'an 2:163 "And your God is One (Allah): There is no god but He, The Most Gracious (Ar-Rahmán)- The Most Merciful (Ar-Raheem)."
Mark 12:29 "And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments [is,] Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is ONE Lord:"
The Qur'an 5:72-77
5.72.. They surely lie (against Allah, those) who say, "Allah is Messiah (Christ), the son of Maryam (Mary)." But Messiah (Christ himself) said: "O Children of Israel! Worship Allah, my Lord and your Lord." Verily, whoever joins other gods with Allah, Allah will forbid him the Garden, and the Fire will be his home. For the wrongdoers there will be no one to help.
5.73. They surely lie (against Allah, those) who say, "Allah is one of three in a Trinity:" There is no god except One Allah. If they do not stop (themselves) from their word (of lies), a painful penalty will surely fall upon the liars among them.
5.74. Why do they not turn to Allah, and seek His forgiveness? For Allah is Often Forgiving (Ghafoor), Most Merciful (Raheem).
5.75. Messiah (Christ), the son of Maryam (Mary) was no more than a messenger; (And there were) many messengers that have passed away before him. His mother was a woman of truth. They both had to eat their (daily) food. See how Allah does make His Signs clear to them; Yet see in what ways they are misguided far from the truth!
5.76. Say: "Will you worship, besides Allah, something which has no power to either harm (you) or to help you? But Allah- He is the All Hearing (Sami’), the All Knowing (Al-Aleem)."
5.77. Say: "O People of the Book! Do not exceed the limits in your religion (of what is proper by) going beyond the truth, and do not follow the useless desires of people who went wrong in old times- (Those) who misled many, and wandered (themselves away from the even path."

4. Why did God create us?

Sura 67. Al-Mulk,
(The Dominion):

67.2. He Who created Death and Life, that He may test which of you is best in deed: And He is the Almighty (Al-Aziz), the Often Forgiving (Al-Ghafoor) -
Sura 15. Al-Hijr,
(The rocky path):

15.85. And We did not create the heavens and the earth, and all between them, except for just ends and the (final) Hour is surely coming. So, overlook (their faults) with kind forgiveness.
15.86. Surely! Your Lord is the Master-Creator (Al-Khaliq), All Knowing (Aleem).
Sura 19. Maryam,
(Mary):

19.8. He (Zakariyya) said: "O my Lord! How shall I have a son, when my wife is barren and I have become quite weak from old age?"
19.9. He (Allah's angel who brought
the message) said: "(It will still be) so: Your Lord says, 'That is easy for Me: Certainly, I did really create you before when you were nothing!' "
19.66. And man says: "What! When I am dead, then shall I be raised up alive?"
19.67. But does not man remember that We created him even while he was nothing?
19.68. So, by your Lord, without doubt, We shall bring them together, and (also) the Evil ones (Satans with them), then shall We bring them forward on their knees around Hell;
Sura 44. Ad-Dukhán,
(The smoke or mist):

44.38.. And We did not create the heavens and the earth, and all between them, just as (an idle) play:
44.39. We did not create them except for true (and noble) ends: But most of them do not understand.
44.40. Surely, the Day of Sorting Out is the time appointed for all of them-
44.41. The Day when the nearest of kin can be of no use to the related one, even the least, and no help can they receive,
44.42. Except such as those who receive Allah’s Mercy: Verily, He is Exalted in Might (Al-Aziz), Most Merciful (Ar-Raheem).
Sura 21. Al-Anbiyaa,
(The prophets):

21.56. He said: "No, your Lord is the Lord of the heavens and the earth, He Who created them (from nothing): And I am one of the witnesses to this (truth).
Sura 46. Al-Ahqáf,
(Winding sand-tracts):

46.2. The Revelation of the Book is from Allah the Almighty, (Al-Aziz, Supreme in Power), the All Wise (Al-Hakeem, Perfect in Wisdom).
46.3. We did not create the heavens and the earth and all between them except for (their) true ends, and for a (their) given time. But those who reject Faith turn away from that (the Faith); About this, they are warned!
Sura 9. At-Tauba,
(Repentance), Also known as Baráatun (Immunity):

9.116.. Indeed, to Allah belongs the kingdom of the heavens and the earth. He gives life and He causes death. Except for Him you have no protector nor helper.

Sura 39. Az-Zumar,
(The crowds):

39.53.. Say: "O servants (slaves of Allah, those) who have transgressed against their souls! Do not feel sad about the Mercy of Allah: For Allah forgives all sins: Truly, He is Often Forgiving (Ghafoor), Most Merciful (Raheem).
39.54. "And you turn to your Lord (in repentance) now and submit to His (Will), before the Penalty comes on you: And after that you shall not be helped.
39.55. "And follow the best (of the paths) revealed to you from your Lord, before the penalty comes upon you- All of a sudden, when you are not aware!"-
39.56. In case the soul should say: "Ah! I am in (deepest) sorrow because I neglected (my duty) to Allah, and (I) was among those who made fun!"-
39.57. Or (in case) he should say: "If Allah had only guided me, then I should really have been with the righteous!"
39.58. Or when it sees the penalty (in case) it should say: "If only I had another chance, I should really be with those who do good!"
39.59. Yes verily, (the reply will be: ) "But there came to you My Signs (verses), and you did reject them: You were proud (and haughty) and became one of those who rejected Faith!"
39.60.. And on the Day of Judgment, you will see those who told lies against Allah their faces will be turned dark because of their lies and fabrication; Is it not in Hell, a home (shall be) for the arrogant and haughty?
39.61. And Allah will deliver the righteous to their place of joy and success (and to peace): Evil shall touch them not, and they shall not grieve (or be sad).
39.62. Allah is Creator (Khaliq) of all things, and He is Guardian and the Trustee (Wakil) of all things.
39.63. To Him, belong the keys of the heavens and of the earth: And those who reject the Signs of Allah- It is they who will be in loss.

5. How do we get to Paradise?

The Mercy of God.
The Prophet (may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: "Whoever witnesses that there is no god but Allah and that Muhammad is Allah's Messenger, Allah forbids the Fire from touching him." Narrated by Bukhari and Muslim

Those are the answers in Islam (interpretation: Submission to the Will of God).

Any wrong ideas about Islam are thoroughly cleared up when reading The Qur'an. People have taken opinions over truth.

• 4 months later...

God made us to show forth His goodness and to share with us His everlasting happiness in heaven. To gain the happiness of heaven we must know, love, and serve God in this world.

Hmmmm - maybe G-d should have quit creating after he finished dogs.

the Traveler

Okay - I will apologize now for being overly sarcastic. As a Scientist and Engineer I have talked to many of my colleges that have rejected religion as being meaningless. Moral issues are important - but many in religion seem to have the attitude that Jesus has given a free pass to moral indiscretions.

I think the opposite is more to be considered - that those that follow G-d have greater responsibility to their fellow men and will be held more accountable than anyone else. That those that love G-d should take leadership roles of example in pushing man's enlightenment in all areas open for us. I believe this goes far beyond the standard and traditional religious notions to believe in G-d but include all truths and apply such things learned in science, economics, politics, education, music and the arts and anything else for the benefit of all mankind - not just G-d.

The Traveler

• 3 months later...