MTC Langugage Books

kgrigio

I served my mission in Italy in the mid 90's. One of the best resources for learning the language was the book you got in the MTC. I now have a job where I need to learn French. I will be using Rosetta Stone, provided by work, but I want to learn the grammer and verbs and the MTC books were great for laying this foundation. Anyone know where to find these books? I checked ebay, craigslist, you name it. Any ideas? Any recommendations on a good French grammer book if I can't find an MTC book?

• 1 year later...

I don't think the church will alow you to use mtc resources. Its only licensed for the church I do believe

The MTC uses language books written by non-members, like the 501 Verbs series. This is the French one. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CEkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2F501-French-Verbs-Easy-To-Learn-Alphabetically%2Fdp%2F0812092813&ei=9ACXT_7QC6jmiAKFvvDiDw&usg=AFQjCNHQenod9c0X1OCwXA7Jt4ATHwJXew&sig2=Rjv3Sc7htoLJbRFVdM5JrA

Don't know what grammar book is used, but this comes from a good series of books, though it isn't quite for beginners. Using French: A Guide to Contemporary Usage - Ronald Ernest Batchelor, M. H. Offord - Google Books

I think they have extra books for sale in the MTC Bookstore. You might want to call the general information desk for the MTC and see the bookstore takes orders off-site. You might also call the BYU Bookstore--it's a long shot, but BYU and the MTC share a lot of physcial facilities resources and so maybe the BYU Bookstore can help you out.

If not, best bet is to befriend a soon-to-be missionary and see if he'll buy you one while he's in Provo. :)

I served my mission in Italy in the mid 90's. One of the best resources for learning the language was the book you got in the MTC. I now have a job where I need to learn French. I will be using Rosetta Stone, provided by work, but I want to learn the grammer and verbs and the MTC books were great for laying this foundation. Anyone know where to find these books? I checked ebay, craigslist, you name it. Any ideas? Any recommendations on a good French grammer book if I can't find an MTC book?

Great question! I am always trying to find the language flash cards for my mission in Taiwan. I have lost them somewhere, and I greatly desire to have them back. I wish you luck, and I understand your desire!