Powdered Milk

marshac

So..... in case you didn't already know, LDS cannery powdered milk is nasty. Crack open some and try it for yourself. I also have some empirical data to back up my "nasty" claim.

Great Powdered Milk Taste Test and Review | Utah Preppers

Okay, this is the least expensive powdered milk right now, and the one I have the most of and use regularly in baking and cooking. It was also solidly scored the worst tasting of all the milks we tried. No, I did not use the 12 year old stuff from my food room, I opened fresh stuff canned a month before the experiment. I had some folks about cry when they found out how bad it tasted because that was the only kind they had stored. But like I said before, I don’t care how it tastes as liquid milk when I’m making cheese or baking with it. I actually like the added flavor in my breads. So don’t despair, all that powdered milk you have from the cannery does not need to be replaced with something else. Maybe just supplemented with another brand to be used for drinking. The commenter who called that last milk “Bad!” called this one “Worse!”. Its average taste score was 1.75 with scores ranging from 1-4 and the most common score chosen was 1. It took 3 cups to make a gallon, so actually it makes the Rainy Day brand comparable in price for the amount of milk you can make from the can. Ingredients: nonfat dry milk, vitamin A palmitate, vitamin D3.

Having said that- does anyone have any experience with Thrive's powdered milk? I'm thinking about ordering a case, but some first-hand accounts would be nice before I buy.

I don't care for the taste of any powdered milk. I used the powdered milk in baking not for drinking. I've never found a powdered milk I could stand to drink.

Nor do I, which is why if my wife wants powdered milk stockpiled, I want it to be the best bad-tasting powdered milk there is.

Nor do I, which is why if my wife wants powdered milk stockpiled, I want it to be the best bad-tasting powdered milk there is.

good luck :)

I've heard that powdered milk looses nutritional value in 12 months. The cannery recommends replacing or rotating your supply every year. Some people use the powdered milk (reconstituted) and mix it with 1/2 regular milk to help with the taste.

good luck :)

I've heard that powdered milk looses nutritional value in 12 months. The cannery recommends replacing or rotating your supply every year. Some people use the powdered milk (reconstituted) and mix it with 1/2 regular milk to help with the taste.

The expiration has changed. Powdered milk from the cannery is now given a 30 year shelf life if stored properly. Maybe they cracked open some food storage from 80's and ran some tests.

I'll mix it up with some chocolate milk mix, kids don't complain if I leave a little real milk in with it.

The best milk, and I'm not sure if they still make it is called Milkman. It's in an orange box and has a little girl with pigtails on the front if I recall correctly. This powdered milk tastes better than the others because it has milk fat in it. I would assume this would also make it useless for long-term storage, because it's the fat in it that goes bad.

I use the powdered milk for anything I cook with milk (including tomato soup and stuff.) I have Thrive's eggs, shortening powder and butter powder. Haven't tried anything but the eggs yet though. We're kind of broke and I want a second can of everything before I break one open. I sure do like their videos on how to use their products though. Shelf Reliance, that is. I don't know if they're the only ones who sell the Thrive brand.

Protein powder is a good idea, or chocolate. Some people add vanilla to it. I just detest drinking powdered milk.

We have some powdered milk from the Bishop's Storehouse, and I'm not sure that's the same milk as the stuff from the cannery.

• 2 months later...

From what I've read and heard at different prep parties, powdered milk is for baking or cooking and the instant milk is for drinking. The powdered milk at the cannery is not for drinking. That's why it's nasty. They may not tell you that but if you are looking for something that is drinkable buy the instant.

I wanted to try it for myself and first I opened the Shelf Reliance Instant Milk and I couldn't tell the difference between it and my regular 2% milk. My daughter said the same thing. Even the 3yr old grandkids didn't question it.

Then I opened Country Cream Instant Milk and I honestly can not tell the difference. It calls for 2/3 - 1cp of milk to 1qt of water. I use the 2/3 cup of powder and it was very good milk. No after tastes or anything other than drinking a glass of milk.

I have a friend and she loves the Emergency Essentials instant milk. She said it's just as good as the Shelf Reliance instant milk.

Knowing the difference uses for the dry powdered milk vs the instant milk really helped me.

My mind is at ease now regarding milk. When I see that I'm running low on milk and don't want to go to the store, I mix up 2qts and put it in a clean empty milk jug and absolutely no one in my family knows the difference. We have lots of picky kids and that says it all.

If you're concerned about the shelf life, all three of these milks show a 30yr shelf life. I highly recommend these three brands of instant milk: Shelf Reliance, Emergency Essentials, Country Cream. Just make sure you buy instant if you want something good to drink. JMHO

• 3 months later...

First of all regular not instant dry non fat milk should be mixed in a blender if possible adding some of the water first then the power mix a little then add more water. If you want a richer flavor you can add 1 TBLS per quart of Non Dairy powdered creamer mix well and then allow the milk to sit in the fridge over night before trying to drink. Of course it helps if you are already used to drinking fat free milk as your usual milk.

• 3 weeks later...

sweet something i can chime in on....yayyyyy..

There is a difference in powdered milks. The first is non fat-low heat.."aka" Instant Non Fat Milk. Simple plug and play mix with water version that closely resembles regular non fat milk. We use it everyday in my house. The next is low heat chocolate drink mix.. same version as non fat low heat except is has some cocoa and sugar added. The nasty ones that people are refering to are what is known as milk substitutes. They require boiling before use...so ive never really seen their point except as pointed out for baking ect. 99% of the food storage companies get their bulk product from the same company so realisticly their is no difference in the product between Shelf relience, honeyville, food forever, auguson farms or any of the others except for that dirty "P" word-"price". NOW lets talk shelf life. By all means 20+ years is feasable with the technology available today.......TODAY being the key word :0). Also you must consider the facility and the quality checks in place. BYU has some awesome shelf life study reports and continues to do them to this day i believe.

• 1 month later...

We use dry milk from the lds cannery in baking and cooking. We don't actually

drink a lot of milk except for what raw milk we get from a dairy. We drink mostly

water, so we don't use the dry milk for drinking.

Oh, we also make pudding from dry milk.

Here's a recipe for a cream soup substitute which is mixed by shaking in a jar:

Eat Wheat

Edited by shine7

First off nice ideas but when Society Has Totally Failed my term for SHTF others have different definitions.

But what makes you think you are going to have electricity? I look for it to be no water, no sewer, no electricity, no heat and this is if you are in a community that has all of these luxuries right now. So milk will be whatever the temperature is where you are.

Second yes instant powdered milk is for drinking the other is for cooking.

I am in a rental place right now and since a fairly recent divorce has put me back in building my home storage I am feeling like I will not have it all again before I need it and yes it is stressful but you know something if I am to have a good home storage and I do all I can the way will be prepared for me to have my home storage.

I am hoping to find a place in the country that I can live at until it is time for me to go home and then I really don't care about the stress of this life. I know I am on the right path and that I will be rewarded for my faith and diligence in this life.

Just so you know for me a place in the country will have wood heat, kerosene or gas lighting until the gas runs out and will be where the neighbors are not close. did you notice that electricity is not mentioned, well that depends on whether I can find a way to produce electricity and whether we have an EMP event or more and just how to deal with this issue. Yes it will be learning to do for myself again and that means even cooking, canning, preparing food to be canned, hunting, gardening and learning to again store seeds and also being in tune with nature and the weather. Health issues will be just that issues either I can live with them or they will take me home. We are here to learn, gain a mortal body and then return home. The last I checked very few if any of us gets out of here without death of this body.