April 19, 2011 - The heavens will be filled

pam

This is a great statement! All of us need to keep this in mind as we sometimes feel like we arre not good enough.

Also those that feel they are better than other because they think their sins are not as bad as others because ALL of us need to repent. No matter how big or small the sin, all of need to repent.

This is a great statement! All of us need to keep this in mind as we sometimes feel like we arre not good enough.

Also those that feel they are better than other because they think their sins are not as bad as others because ALL of us need to repent. No matter how big or small the sin, all of need to repent.

Good incite. It becomes so easy in this world to compare yourself with others and what you think their degree of spirituality is. By doing this you can fall into the trap of justifying your sins saying, “Well at least I am not as bad as Joe Blow over there”. Then you think its ok to stop trying as long as you are ‘better’ than someone.

I like to think of our spiritual progress as a downward moving escalator. You can never be stationary as it is always moving (down). We must press forward and actively strive to climb up toward our Heavenly Father. If we turn around and look toward Satan and think, “I wonder how far I can go before I need to repent- Maybe 3 steps down?” then we have already moved closer toward him without even changing steps. Just the desire to do evil moves us away from Heavenly Father, and we will be judged by our thoughts and our desires. Even if we just stop where we are and think, “I’m all good. I’m not committing any major sin and active enough in the church. I’ll just stay the way I am.” we move farther from God.

Nephi explains these principles in detail in 2Nephi chapters 30 and 31:

19 And now, my beloved brethren, after ye have gotten into this strait and narrow path, I would ask if all is done? Behold, I say unto you, Nay…

20 Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life.

21 And now, behold, my beloved brethren, this is the way; and there is none other way nor name given under heaven whereby man can be saved in the kingdom of God…

Eternity is a long time and as long as you are constantly moving to be like Jesus, eventually you will be. Just because 1 person attains perfection in 5,000 years whereas it takes another 10,000 years doesn’t make one better than the other. They will both be perfect eventually so who are we to judge? Just point yourself in the right direction and keep moving. Don’t worry about what step the people around you are on.