Mission advice

joecool5491

Ok so I am 19 Years old, I have served 7 months in Las Vegas for my mission and was sent home due to back problems. Since then I have discovered that it was arthritis and that now I am going to have to deal with it. I have been struggling with what to do as far as returning to my mission. I have thought about pro's and con's and as far as I know a mission would be good for me, but I suffered through intense depression and pain while out in the field and my desire is lacking. I feel depressed about my decision and it is negatively effecting the relationships in my family and with my girlfriend who justs wants me to make the right decision. I am stuck and lost. I don't know what to do...

Get on your knees as often as it takes to recieve an answer. There are several types of missions that are available to work with your physical needs. Talk to your bishop and stake president as well. You can't get too much advice from those closest to you who really care.

As for me, I would have to be shot to keep me from going back. My mission was a defining moment for my entire life. I wouldn't trade it for everything in the world.

I'm gonna go

I hope that is the right choice Joe. It would on the surface seem to be right to me, but of course, there is only One that can truly guide you as to what is the right choice.

In your remaining time at home, and as a help to frame your lifetime of physical ailments, I would suggest reading/listening to talks by Elder Maxwell. He surely was one acquainted with physical struggles, esp in the last of his life when stricken with cancer. Some of his talks of physical struggles and illness after the first round of treatment and remission are awe inspiring of his understanding of physical tribulations.

See: BYU Speeches Website: Maxwell Talks

Although from 1984, well before his experience with cancer, a good talk about dealing with both acute and chronic trials is: If Thou Endure Well

By chance, looking for something else, I ran into another potential resource for you:

Enduring It Well

Episode 8 - Triumph Over Pain - Carolyn Miller

Pain is an inevitable and integral part of human existence. Although it is hard, it teaches us how to love and appreciate what we have in our lives. In this episode of “Enduring It Well,” host W. A. Christensen speaks with Carolyn Miller about a debilitating disorder and about never giving up. She attributes her success to the scriptures, the love and support of her husband Lynn, and the gospel of Jesus Christ, which ultimately taught her to have faith and to be always grateful.

Move forward and don't look back. The Lord believes in you, so you believe in him. He will protect you and help you deal with the physical issues. But I hear a great cure for arthritis is lots of home made cookies from home. So tell mom which ones you like, and tell her to keep them coming. Your companions will love your forever. Good way to bribe the District leader :) :)