favorite quotes

Guest saintish

The one on my profile...

It's happily ever after, not perfectly ever after.

There's a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in.

Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us dragon exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten.

No one reaches the top of a mountain and wishes they had stayed at the bottom.

The opposite of Love is not Hate, it's Fear.

640K ought to be enough for anybody.

- Bill Gates, 1981

In C++ it’s harder to shoot yourself in the foot, but when you do, you blow off your whole leg.

- Bjarne Stroustrup

There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don’t believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Ok, this past weekend was, and still is a bad technology time for me. Software updates, nuf said.

My stepfather used to say, "Lincoln freed the slaves" meaning, if you don't like what you're doing/your job, get up and do something else. I find it comforting and will use it with students who moan about stuff that can be changed if they'd just get off their rear ends.

My stepfather used to say, "Lincoln freed the slaves" meaning, if you don't like what you're doing/your job, get up and do something else. I find it comforting and will use it with students who moan about stuff that can be changed if they'd just get off their rear ends.

Tried, but got nailed by the economy when I got my certificate. So instead of jobs out there waiting for me, there was instantly a glut of folks with experience laid of in my field. So it was back to the proverbial drawing board and computer stuff. Almost time to try again.

"It's not forgettinig to zip up your pants that shows you're getting senile, but when you forget to unzip them."

FLW:

"you and what army?"

"Don't worry I can handle it."

"AAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaa........." (Icarus)

"Retreat? In the hour of our triumph?!"

"Well since you've asked for an apology, I"m sorry.... I'm sorry that we had to defend ourselves. I'm sorry that your people were stupid enough to open fire on a station that houses several thousand civilians, including their own people. And i'm sorry we waited as long as we did before we blew them straight to hell."

"If it can go wrong it will go wrong"

"Don't lose heart.... because they might want to cut it out... and will want to avoid a lengthy search for it."

Edited by Blackmarch

Life is like a bucket of milk; all the cream rises to the top..... so does all the scum.

A company is like a septic tank- all the big chunks rise to the top.

You rise to the level of your incompetence.

You always find what you're looking fr in the last place you look

A journey of a thousand miles can end very very badly.

Edited by Blackmarch

I've done so much with so little for so long. That now I can do just about anything with nothing...

Not sure who came up with it, but is one that keeps coming back to me, over and over and over...

My favorite from my Dad..."Any day on this side of the dirt, is a good day." or "If it was raining gold. I'd be caught outside loading a truck with a pitch fork."

Many from my father.

here is one - Do not be so heavenly minded that you are of no earthly value. If you are the winning run on third base in a softball game - do not think this is a good time to be reading the scriptures. You need to be able to pay attention to what is going on around you and apply what you have learned from your study of scriptures and other things.

The Traveler

My wife: "If life was fair, the horse would get to ride the human half the time."

Those that personally know me know I have a long list of "favorites". Just a few include:

Keep in mind the challenging fact that your aim is not to get ahead of others, but to surpass yourself; to begin today to be the person you want to be. Hugh B. Brown, Conference Report, April 1968

No wind favors he who has no destined port. Montaigne

The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials. Confucius

Anger, if not restrained, is frequently more hurtful to us than the injury that provokes it. Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Most conflicts in a romantic relationship are not about the conflict - they are about significance. Jonathan Scott Halverstadt

We're not necessarily doubting that God will do the best for us; we are wondering how painful the best will turn out to be. C.S. Lewis

It has been said that 'in patience ye shall win your souls,' and what is this patience but an equanimity which enables you to rise superior to the trials of life? Dr. William Osler Equanimity: A calm patience. The state of being calm, stable and composed, especially under stress. Equanimity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why do we resist and resent life’s developmental and obedience tests? By declaring, “I will walk in my own way and do that which is right in my own eyes,” we reject the curriculum of the mortal school in which we are irrevocably enrolled. There is only one exit gate leading unto eternal life. Unhappily, only a few find it—but not because God is exclusionary, but because they exclude God from their lives. Even God cannot bring to pass a reconciliation involving only one party. Neil A Maxwell

I have wept in the night

For the shortness of sight

That to somebody’s need I may have been blind;

But I never have yet

Felt a tinge of regret

For being a little too kind.

Author Unknown

There is nothing noble in being superior to some other man. The true nobility is in being superior to your previous self. Hindu Proverb

I walked a mile with Pleasure,

She chatted all the way;

But left me none the wiser

For all she had to say.

I walked a mile with Sorrow,

And ne'er a word said she;

But, oh! The things I learned from her,

When sorrow walked with me.

Robert Browning Hamilton

Pain stayed so long I said to him today,

“I will not have you with me any more.”

I stamped my foot and said, “Be on your way,”

And paused there, startled at the look he wore.

“I, who have been your friend,” he said to me,

“I, who have been your teacher—all you know

Of understanding love, of sympathy,

And patience, I have taught you. Shall I go?”

He spoke the truth, this strange unwelcome guest;

I watched him leave, and knew that he was wise.

He left a heart grown tender in my breast,

He left a far, clear vision in my eyes.

I dried my tears, and lifted up a song --

Even for one who’d tortured me so long.

Author Unknown, quoted by Spencer. W. Kimball in Tragedy or Destiny, 12/6/1955 BYU Devotional

Imagine yourself as a living house. God comes in to rebuild that house. At first, perhaps, you can understand what He is doing. He is getting the drains right and stopping the leaks in the roof and so on: you knew that those jobs needed doing and so you are not surprised. But presently he starts knocking the house about in a way that hurts abominably and does not seem to make sense. What on earth is He up to? The explanation is that He is building quite a different house from the one you thought of--throwing out a new wing here, putting on an extra floor there, running up towers, making courtyards. You thought you were going to be made into a decent little cottage: but He is building a palace. He intends to come and live in it Himself.

C. S. Lewis, Mere Christianity, 174; book 4, chapter 9, paragraph 10

The longer I live the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company ... a church ... a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past ... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have – and that is our ATTITUDE. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you ... we are in charge of our attitudes.

Charles Swindall

But to every mind there openeth,

A way, and way, and away,

A high soul climbs the highway,

And the low soul gropes the low,

And in between on the misty flats,

The rest drift to and fro.

But to every man there openeth,

A high way and a low,

And every mind decideth,

The way his soul shall go.

One ship sails East,