When did Jesus visit America?

rex8499

Trying to correlate the events from the New Testament after Jesus' resurrection with his going to the America's. Does the church have a stance on when that happened? Was it after he was taken up to heaven from the apostles as talked about in Act's or did he leave for a few months before that, then come back to them to be taken to heaven?

Start reading in 3 Nephi chapter 11 - a great little read for the Easter Season!

oops - 3 Nephi chapter 8 - this is the atonement - when Jesus dies there is darkness etc. etc. in America - there is a 3 day period of time when no one in Jerusalem sees Jesus, this is when Jesus is in America.

3 Nephi

Can I get a scriptural reference for the 3 day time period when no one in Jerusalem sees Jesus after his resurrection? Or are you referencing the three days his body was in the tomb? If so that has some problems.

Three days of darkness occurs as part/after the tumult testifying of the crucifixion of Christ. Christ shows himself to the people after the darkness dissipates placing the earliest his visit could have happened was greater than 3 days after his crucifixion . There is also the issue of the fact that he had a physical (by implication perfected) body with marks, something he wouldn't have possessed until post crucifixion and after his resurrection on the third day.

Trying to correlate the events from the New Testament after Jesus' resurrection with his going to the America's. Does the church have a stance on when that happened? Was it after he was taken up to heaven from the apostles as talked about in Act's or did he leave for a few months before that, then come back to them to be taken to heaven?

I'm unaware of any official statements on the matter, but once I thought through my previously held concept of his visit being during the three days prior to resurrection* I've always assumed it happened after he was lifted up.

* I'm note entirely sure how I go that idea.

Edited by Dravin

Start reading in 3 Nephi chapter 11 - a great little read for the Easter Season!

oops - 3 Nephi chapter 8 - this is the atonement - when Jesus dies there is darkness etc. etc. in America - there is a 3 day period of time when no one in Jerusalem sees Jesus, this is when Jesus is in America.

3 Nephi

No, I don't see anywhere in 3 Nephi 8 through 11 that Jesus Christ showed himself in America within 3 days after his death.

If you look at chapter 8 - it says in there that this happened in the 4th day of the beginning of the 34th year. That is - the destruction and all such. Then on Chapter 10, you see that Jesus manifested himself unto them after the ascension of Christ into heaven. And it states the end of the 34th year.

So, basing upon these timelines - there could be close to a year between when Jesus died to when Jesus showed himself to the Nephites.

Edited by anatess

No, I don't see anywhere in 3 Nephi 8 through 11 that Jesus Christ showed himself in America within 3 days after his death.

Oh good. I'm not the only one who read that into Changed's post. I won't feel so bad if I'm completely mistaken.

3 Nephi 10:18 . . . insomuch that soon after the ascension of Christ into heaven he did truly manifest himself unto them—

Chapter 11 where he appears relates that the people were still discussing the new changes to the land, seeming to indicate it was indeed very soon after his ascention and the lifting of the darkness.

3 Nephi 10:18 . . . insomuch that soon after the ascension of Christ into heaven he did truly manifest himself unto them—

Chapter 11 where he appears relates that the people were still discussing the new changes to the land, seeming to indicate it was indeed very soon after his ascention and the lifting of the darkness.

I'm wondering what the "end of the 34th year" part of that verse implies?

Doesn't this poster have dates on it? I personally don't have a copy of it, and only recall fuzzy details from the one that was on the wall at institute.

Book of Mormon Time Line Poster - LDS Online Store

Here's another timeline, although this one isn't the same as the one that was published in the Ensign (although it too was on the wall at institute).

Online Version | The Book of Mormon Timeline

After the death of Jesus Christ, he went to the spirit world for 3 days. After the resurrection and after the 40 days that Christ spent with his Apostles in the old world, he ascended to the heavens from Mt. Olives. Right after that is when Christ descended to the Nephites and lamanites.

The Book of Mormon does not state that it was right after, of course nor does it state that it was right away either. Christs first mission was to the old world, once his mission to them that dwell in Jerusalem was done and he was lifted then he was able to spend time with those who dwelt here in america.

Actually, the text of the Book of Mormon states that Christ appeared to the Nephites almost a year after his resurrection.

In 3 Nephi 8, we read:

5And it came to pass in the thirty and fourth year, in the first month, on the fourth day of the month, there arose a great storm, such an one as never had been known in all the land.

Then, in 3 Nephi 10, just prior to Jesus' appearance:

18And it came to pass that in the ending of the thirty and fourth year, behold, I will show unto you that the people of Nephi who were spared, and also those who had been called Lamanites, who had been spared, did have great favors shown unto them, and great blessings poured out upon their heads, insomuch that soon after the ascension of Christ into heaven he did truly manifest himself unto them—

So, the destruction happened on the 4th day of the first month of the 34th year. And the resurrected Jesus appeared to the Nephites the end of the 34th year.

Actually, the text of the Book of Mormon states that Christ appeared to the Nephites almost a year after his resurrection.

In 3 Nephi 8, we read:

Then, in 3 Nephi 10, just prior to Jesus' appearance:

So, the destruction happened on the 4th day of the first month of the 34th year. And the resurrected Jesus appeared to the Nephites the end of the 34th year.

Yes, I've been saying that on this here thread...

In 3 Nephi 8, we read:

5And it came to pass in the thirty and fourth year, in the first month, on the fourth day of the month, there arose a great storm, such an one as never had been known in all the land.

What do you make of Mormon's uncharacteristic justification of the date of the start of the storm?

1And now it came to pass that according to our record, and we know our record to be true, for behold, it was a just man who did keep the record—for he truly did many miracles in the name of Jesus; and there was not any man who could do a miracle in the name of Jesus save he were cleansed every whit from his iniquity—

2And now it came to pass, if there was no mistake made by this man in the reckoning of our time, the thirty and third year had passed away;

Lengthy justification for the truth of the record, but a qualifier "if there was no mistake made . . ." It would seem Mormon had serious doubts about the timing of the start of the tumult. But, he had no doubts about "end of the 34th year", "soon after", or that people were gathered in Bountiful marveling about the changes. Does it really make sense that people were gathered together to marvel on a date many months later, but short of an annual anniversary? It really seems that Mormon questioned this timing too.

After he "went unto the Father", as it were.

Rex, this is what happens when you open up a can of worms.

Even though Mormon may have doubted dates, yet those are the ones we have to work with. And so unless and until more official clarification occurs, they happened almost a year apart.

My view is that it took time for the people to repent, bury their dead, gather and restructure themselves. To gather at the Bountiful temple suggests that it was somewhat rebuilt or that sufficient people knew it was undamaged/lightly damaged that they could gather there. Such doesn't happen on the day after the sun returns. No, people would be focusing on restoring life: food, clothing, shelter. And perhaps do a little repenting, as well.

Thanks Ram..I was going through this to see if anyone had stated this yet. If not I was going to post that same thing.

There, there Anatess. I at least recognize you said it first. :)

:D:D:D

It's so wierd how, in these forums, I'm so anxious to be heard. LOL. I mean... like The_Phoenix getting worried when nobody responded to his thread after 6 hours. It's like I'm back in grade school wanting to be noticed by the popular kid. Amazingly, that is completely opposite of my "offline" personality. It is a phenomenon. :D

When I posted this question, I expected it to be a fairly straightforward answer that someone knew where to find. I had no idea it was so debatable.

If we didn't celebrate Christmas Day on December 25th, you'd have a debate on when Jesus was born too...

If we didn't celebrate Christmas Day on December 25th, you'd have a debate on when Jesus was born too...

I'm already familiar with that debate. :) Having grown up in mainstream Christian churches, it was discussed.

So that year between Jesus ascending in Israel and appearing to the Nephites is a good chunk of time that perhaps he used to visit some of the other cultures/continents. I know I've heard rumors about stories/legends from other places too. Maybe someone will find more accounts buried there someday. That'd be pretty neat.