Speaking in Tongues

So as far as I remember being taught, the gift of Tongues was a gift that seems to mostly help us communicate in another human language and is usually a story that a missionary tells us of "well I wasn't doing so great in the language, but this one time..." kind of story.

However, I was listening to Past Impressions Episode 22 - Kirtland Temple and they said that Brigham Young spoke in tongues during the dedication. They talked like this was a common thing in the time, and I did some googling and they said that he was speaking the language of God or something. When did this stop and why? Are there any more recent accounts of an apostle or prophet speaking in Tongues?

Read Moses Chapter 6. Some claim the "tongues" you are referring to is the "pure" language of Adam. Perhaps some spiritual topics are so complex that corrupt languages are not sufficient. I think perhaps it also comes up when two people don't speak the same language and they speak a common language. but maybe they are both unaware they are communicating that way. Now we have interpreters and translators and we have no need to translate into a common spiritual language at least not in conferences..

The reason that he spoke the Adamic Language is because he was influenced by the Holy Spirit to do that. Why did it stop, it hasn't stopped. There was an instance in WWII were 4 members of the church were caught behind enemy lines, they saw a German soldier coming towards them, instead of panicing they continued. The German soldier stopped them and said something to them, one of the brothers replied to him in German.

After the German soldier was out of ear shot, one of the others asked him since when did he speak German. He replied, "I don't". So like bytebear said, sometimes maybe the person speaking in tongues isn't aware that they are.

Yep - the Kirtland temple dedication was an event marked by a large number of recorded miracles. There was an Ensign article a while back (sorry I've forgotten the name or link), opining that such miraculous outbursts of tongues and healings and angelic ministrations and casting out demons and whatnot tend to come in bursts during special occasions - Adam & Eve getting trained, Christ's birth, the close of His ministry, and the restoration and opening of the last dispensation are all such events marked by lots of people witnessing miraculous things.

I thought it was a decent explanation.

So as far as I remember being taught, the gift of Tongues was a gift that seems to mostly help us communicate in another human language and is usually a story that a missionary tells us of "well I wasn't doing so great in the language, but this one time..." kind of story.

However, I was listening to Past Impressions Episode 22 - Kirtland Temple and they said that Brigham Young spoke in tongues during the dedication. They talked like this was a common thing in the time, and I did some googling and they said that he was speaking the language of God or something. When did this stop and why? Are there any more recent accounts of an apostle or prophet speaking in Tongues?

The "Gift" is always to be accompanied by someone to interpret. I guess Joseph did that.

Yep - the Kirtland temple dedication was an event marked by a large number of recorded miracles. There was an Ensign article a while back (sorry I've forgotten the name or link), opining that such miraculous outbursts of tongues and healings and angelic ministrations and casting out demons and whatnot tend to come in bursts during special occasions - Adam & Eve getting trained, Christ's birth, the close of His ministry, and the restoration and opening of the last dispensation are all such events marked by lots of people witnessing miraculous things.

I thought it was a decent explanation.

It was “our” Day of Pentecost”. IMHO :)

The OP has done well calling out two forms of speaking in tongues - one where there is profit and a very practical use. The other is more "showy" and serves more as a sign. And I think that is the reason why the second type of tongues is so rare in comparison. We have been told in modern times that gifts of the spirit are to profit others, and this is something of a secondary gift. That is - in order for speaking in tongues to be profitable it needs to also have something else, like prophecy or some powerful spritual witness (angels, etc). In the instances I can think of where this kind of gift is manifested, there was first a powerful testimony shared of Jesus (Pentecost), it was used to recognize God's will in a new policy (baptism of Cornelius and other Gentiles), it was used to show God's acceptance of a new Temple (Kirtland) and was accompanied with other signs.

Perhaps we will see this gift manifested again when there are other significant milestones (Israel is safely gathered in, solemn assembly at Adam-ondi-Ahman, dedication of Independence Temple, etc).

And it is also easy to counterfeit by both man and devil.

At the Relief Society testimony meetings (early Church), Emma Smith along with others sisters used to get up and speak in "tongues". Eliza Snow who used to take the minutes of those meetings recorded many times something like this (paraphrasing):

"Emma Smith shared her testimony. Spoke in tongues. Sister Jones interpreted". Most of their testimony meetings were like this. The brethren weren't too happy about it (since the sisters at around the same time were also blessing and anointing the sick with Joseph Smith's full approval)

(See this for more details: http://www.lds.net/forums/lds-gospel-discussion/36422-women-priesthood.html)

Having said that, Joseph warned the Saints many times about the gifts of tongues and denounced that many use it but they don't have it. He made it a "rule" that anything taught by the use of this gift shouldn't be taken as doctrine. If he reached that far, things were getting pretty difficult back then with regards to this gift.

There are about eight different operations of tongues recorded in the Bible.

A foriegn languege inspired by the Holy Spirit is one, Acts 2: 4--11.

Then there is a operation of tongues that no man can understand, Only God. 1 Cor 14: 2.

This is different to Acts 2:4--11.

The gift of the Holy Ghost, with spealing in tongues has been given to the Church and has never ceased, And it won't end until the Church age is over.

The "Gift" is always to be accompanied by someone to interpret. I guess Joseph did that.

The tongue that needs an inerpretation is only one of the eight operations of tongues.

And that is one of the gifts of the Spirit, 1 Cor 12: 10.

It is different to our everyday Holy Ghost tongues. Mk 16: 17.

Mk 16: 17 says everyone can speak in tongues,

But 1 Cor 12: 10 says, "ONE IS GIVEN" Tongues that'll be interpretate.

The OP has done well calling out two forms of speaking in tongues - one where there is profit and a very practical use. The other is more "showy" and serves more as a sign. And I think that is the reason why the second type of tongues is so rare in comparison. We have been told in modern times that gifts of the spirit are to profit others, and this is something of a secondary gift. That is - in order for speaking in tongues to be profitable it needs to also have something else, like prophecy or some powerful spritual witness (angels, etc). In the instances I can think of where this kind of gift is manifested, there was first a powerful testimony shared of Jesus (Pentecost), it was used to recognize God's will in a new policy (baptism of Cornelius and other Gentiles), it was used to show God's acceptance of a new Temple (Kirtland) and was accompanied with other signs.

Perhaps we will see this gift manifested again when there are other significant milestones (Israel is safely gathered in, solemn assembly at Adam-ondi-Ahman, dedication of Independence Temple, etc).

And it is also easy to counterfeit by both man and devil.

Who said the second type of tongue is rare??

There are eight operations of tongues recorded in the Bible, And everyone is important for the Church today.

Who said the second type of tongue is rare??

I did. Did you see my post? It has my name and avatar at the start.

My reasons for saying it is rare compared to the other is that we have between 50 and 60K missionaries at any given time - a significant fraction of which managed to communicate in a foreign tongue in just weeks. I (and others) see that as a gift of the Spirit. Compare that with how often someone stands up and speaks the Adamic language just cuz.

If you have different data, I'd love to see it.

There are eight operations of tongues recorded in the Bible, And everyone is important for the Church today.

I recognize this may be off-topic, but would you care to elaborate?