Mother’s day is coming; will get to hear from my son, but what of Dad’s?

The_Phoenix

Yes Mother’s day approaches and I will get to talk to my son who is on a mission. But why only on Mother’s day and Christmas? Why not Father’s day? Why are we considered less? :confused:

Think men are supposed to be menly men :P

Seriously no idea tho. My guess is probably more traditional thing or something like that rather than anything else.

My guess is they only want it twice a year and Mother's Day works for that purpose. Traditionally Mothers are seen to be more worried of their sons on missions, so it's probably why it was picked for one of the two calls home.

And here I thought it was going to be a thread about how:

Mother's Day talks: How women are wonderful.

Father's Day talks: How men aren't as wonderful as women.

My guess is they only want it twice a year and Mother's Day works for that purpose. Traditionally Mothers are seen to be more worried of their sons on missions, so it's probably why it was picked for one of the two calls home.

This is what I was told when I asked my mission president.

I would imagine a single dad could get a hone call on mother's day, too.

Maybe because the two holidays (Father's Day and Mother's Day) are so close together? Christmas and Mother's Day are roughly 6 months apart, which is a good distance to spread 2 yearly phone-calls over.

I had a friend with divorced parents serve a mission, and he got to call both parents on Mother's Day.

Because mom sends the home made baked cookies.

I dunno... there's this guy that works at the music store. I haven't met his wife, but I know for a fact he sends the homemade cookies to his missionaries. And bakes them. And decorates for Christmas...

And here I thought it was going to be a thread about how:

Mother's Day talks: How women are wonderful.

Father's Day talks: How men aren't as wonderful as women.

You here that one a lot too?

Could it possibly be because Mother's day is the the busiest day of the year in telephone volume?

Statistics show that regardless of religion/background/wealth/status, more phone calls are made on Mother's Day than any other day of the year - including Christmas and New Year - and including international calls, even to countries like the Philippines who do not officially have Mother's Day. It's not just an LDS thing.

How much controversy do you think there would be if they had the calls take place only on Christmas and Fathers' Day?

Just a thought...

RW

For the media? Lots. For LDS? None.

I mean, I didn't even know they were allowed phone calls on Mother's Day...

Why does it matter? Missionaries are allowed to talk with their fathers too on that day.

Because my parents divorced when I was 2 years old. That's why it matters.

On my mission I had to live under the "2 calls a year" rule too, and I was very upset about it. Is my dad less important to me? No. Did I have the option of talking to him without breaking a rule? No.

I thought the rule was stupid then and I still think it's stupid. At least my companion was smart. He got a calling card and called home once, twice a week. Untraceable.

For the media? Lots. For LDS? None.

I mean, I didn't even know they were allowed phone calls on Mother's Day...

You don't think there would be any mothers anywhere in the world that would feel slighted if missionaries could call home only on Fathers' Day? I have doubts about that. Either way, just something to consider.

To be absolutely fair and avoid even the impression of preferential treatment, the calls could simply be on a random day approximately six months away from Christmas. My original thought was motivated by a mild insensitivity in the Church towards men/fathers and an elevated sensitivity towards women/mothers.

Example: want to be treated like a princess? Be pregnant in Provo.

RW

On my mission I had to live under the "2 calls a year" rule too, and I was very upset about it. Is my dad less important to me? No. Did I have the option of talking to him without breaking a rule? No.

I thought the rule was stupid then and I still think it's stupid. At least my companion was smart. He got a calling card and called home once, twice a week. Untraceable.

That is right you guys love your dad's too. Preach on!

On my mission we had some elders whose parents were divorced, they were allowed to call both.

That's smart?

Look, you probably missed the part of missionary training where you are supposed to leave everything behind for 2 years and immerse yourself fully in service with eyes single to the glory of God.

Being able to call home at all is a gift. You don't look a gift-horse in the mouth.

The 12 Apostles of Christ left everything behind and followed Him in His ministry. That's what a mission is supposed to be about. To leave houses, brothers or sisters, father or mother, wife or children, or lands, for Jesus Christ's sake!

Getting a calling card so you can "break the rule" and call home whenever you want is not fully immersing yourself in your mission. Why bother to go at all?

On my mission we had some elders whose parents were divorced, they were allowed to call both.

Same on my Mission. While you didn't get to talk twice as long you did get to make two phone calls so you could talk to both parents on Christmas and Mother's Day.

Did you ask your Mission President? It's possible he was stubborn about the rule, but I wonder if you just assumed it would be a problem?

/me rummages around for his White Handbook.

Mine says you can call your parents, not that you may call home. It does stipulate "according to the guidelines from your mission president" though. Also, older versions of the handbook probably have different wording, but their wording wouldn't be an issue now (which wouldn't have helped you but it also makes it a non-issue for current missionaries).

Edited by Dravin

That's smart?

Look, you probably missed the part of missionary training where you are supposed to leave everything behind for 2 years and immerse yourself fully in service with eyes single to the glory of God.

Being able to call home at all is a gift. You don't look a gift-horse in the mouth.

The 12 Apostles of Christ left everything behind and followed Him in His ministry. That's what a mission is supposed to be about. To leave houses, brothers or sisters, father or mother, wife or children, or lands, for Jesus Christ's sake!

Getting a calling card so you can "break the rule" and call home whenever you want is not fully immersing yourself in your mission. Why bother to go at all?

You are telling me that I missed the "part of missionary training where (I am) supposed to leave everything behind for 2 years and immerse (myself) fully in service with eyes single to the glory of God" when I said that he was the one who got the calling card?

I followed the rule. He did not. You are preaching to the choir.

What did you say in the other thread about not judging? Get off your high-horse.