Your list of things that should be free..

Bini

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm I understand that but I don't think it applies to that post. I don't think I am explaining myself properly so you could understand the connection you have made but it's ok.

Waaa. This thread was supposed to be a light-hearted banter.

So, let's make air free.

I just got a $600+ electric bill. If air is free, conditioning it should be too!

Waaa. This thread was supposed to be a light-hearted banter.

So, let's make air free.

I just got a $600+ electric bill. If air is free, conditioning it should be too!

:P

You're something else. I was just stating that I don't think you are seeing the connection but it's okay if you don't, you don't have to make the air "free". All is well. :)

:P

You're something else. I was just stating that I don't think you are seeing the connection but it's okay if you don't, you don't have to make the air "free". All is well. :)

But I want the air free!

(Where's that thread where you have to agree with me... I like that thread.) :D

It is not free Wingy. Even in the United States of America. You have to abide by the laws of the land - which costs you something. Your insured freedoms are insured by somebody that you are paying for to do it for you. Take away the American military/government (that you're paying for with taxes and a vote) and your air will cost you a lot more.

Her point is there are places in the world where people don't have insured freedoms and it's not like somebody comes around and hands them a bill for air. You're using air as a substitute for a jumble of concepts. If you wanted to say* we pay for having constitutional protections or having rule of law she's probably not object. If you really want to to stick to air you're fairly safe claiming that we pay for the quality of the air we breath. Or rather we pay not to breath more than air. :D

* Which you are in your own way, it's just the use of air as symbolizing these things, and more, is getting in the way.

Edited by Dravin

I got txting a friend who made the comment that "housing" should be free because everyone should have a place to call home. She can be a bit idealistic AKA unrealistic about things.. After all, houses don't build themselves.

What is on your list of things that you feel should be free?

Anything an individual needs (at the moment or over time) to survive.

The Traveler

BTW - Anyone know what the grave sin of Gomorrah was?

Edited by Traveler
added BTW

Her point is there are places in the world where people don't have insured freedoms and it's not like somebody comes around and hands them a bill for air. You're using air as a substitute for a jumble of concepts. If you wanted to say* we pay for having constitutional protections or having rule of law she's probably not object. If you really want to to stick to air you're fairly safe claiming that we pay for the quality of the air we breath. Or rather we pay not to breath more than air. :D

* Which you are in your own way, it's just the use of air as symbolizing these things, and more, is getting in the way.

The point was - NOTHING on this earth is free (except for the Atonement). That is the only thing I was trying to say.

lol which in that case i'd have to say free is unattainable.

Yep. I know I can't think of something that doesn't have a consequence. Even something as simply as wearing one color shirt over another. The consequence is now you are wearing a shirt that reflects different wavelengths of light. Consequences, ironically, get down to the inconsequential. :)

Yep. I know I can't think of something that doesn't have a consequence. Even something as simply as wearing one color shirt over another. The consequence is now you are wearing a shirt that reflects different wavelengths of light. Consequences, ironically, get down to the inconsequential. :)

Unless you hold to chaos theory :P

Yeay! You are starting to see my point!

Or maybe I'm just deluding myself...

Yes, I'm having fun in this thread. And that other thread about the LDS becoming a Baptist too.

Good day overall. :D

Yeay! You are starting to see my point!

Or maybe I'm just deluding myself...

Yes, I'm having fun in this thread. And that other thread about the LDS becoming a Baptist too.

Good day overall. :D

It may be a bit of delusion on your part. :D My main point is that if something is free or not depends on how we define free. The Atonement example is a prime one. By free meaning nobody paid it is not free. By a definition of you don't pay it is (salvation anyway).

It may be a bit of delusion on your part. :D My main point is that if something is free or not depends on how we define free. The Atonement example is a prime one. By free meaning nobody paid it is not free. By a definition of you don't pay it is (salvation anyway).

Now you're making me think too hard... and I was really trying to avoid that. :D

Now you're making me question...

Salvation. Define that word.

If you're a good man but did not get Baptized...proxy or otherwise, do you get Salvation?

So, I guess even the Atonement is not free... because you have to do something to get it?

I look at it this way. We are here to learn from our experiences. If all things are free, or even if just the basics were always free, we would learn that much less. If all had plenty of food, whether steaks or rice, then none would understand what it is like to be hungry. Compassion and the desire to do good would eventually die out.

It is like with the Church welfare system. When run properly, nothing should be free. Every person that receives assistance should do something to repay it - just so they continue growing.

No one seems to know what the sin of Gomorrah was? According to non biblical sources the sin of Gomorrah was the attempt to charge or tax the population for those things that G-d had given to be used by all for “free”.

I find it rather interesting that we do not seem to be able among ourselves to determine what G-d has given to mankind for free.

At one point of my life I walked away from “civilization” into south west desert wilderness of the USA and there for 40 days I lived on only that which G-d gave me. He gave me food, water and a place of shelter according to my needs - it was all free.

It appears to me that all things of G-d are free and that it is the things of man cost money. In fact I think that money is an invention or creation of man.

The Traveler

According to the Bible and Biblical scholars like Harold Bloom, the sin was imposing their personal lifestyles on others. They were not hospitable to visitors, but instead attempted to impose their sexual lusts on the guests of Lot. For this the two cities were destroyed.

Now you're making me think too hard... and I was really trying to avoid that. :D

Now you're making me question...

Salvation. Define that word.

If you're a good man but did not get Baptized...proxy or otherwise, do you get Salvation?

So, I guess even the Atonement is not free... because you have to do something to get it?

Well I was thinking avoiding outer darkness and being resurrected, but now that I think about it there is a price to avoid outer darkness*, and that is not committing the unpardonable sin. So not even in that context is it free.

* As opposed to exaltation which requires we pay the price of making and keeping covenants.

I look at it this way. We are here to learn from our experiences. If all things are free, or even if just the basics were always free, we would learn that much less. If all had plenty of food, whether steaks or rice, then none would understand what it is like to be hungry. Compassion and the desire to do good would eventually die out.

It is like with the Church welfare system. When run properly, nothing should be free. Every person that receives assistance should do something to repay it - just so they continue growing.

Agreed. I feel we do not value as much that which is freely given as we do that which is earned. We find happiness and value in that which we struggle for and earn. On the spiritual principal of it, I don't think anything should be "free".

(the natural man in me sure wants some recreational activities free for a while though!!! ^_^)

No one seems to know what the sin of Gomorrah was? According to non biblical sources the sin of Gomorrah was the attempt to charge or tax the population for those things that G-d had given to be used by all for “free”.

Do you kinow that I've never heard of this before?