Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Dr T

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Why I picked this book up: I picked it up because I wanted to read it to see if it was appropriate for my eldest son (age 11) to read.

Why I finished this book: I quickly saw that my son was not ready for this book. The words are too big for him and he would not understand but I wanted to finish it because I was drawn in by the whole story. I really felt sorry for the monster with his anguish and loneliness, how he observed people and really had a heart for them and his compassion and helpfulness and then on the other hand his anger about being created, the desire to have a partner and Victor’s vacillating. It was big on romance. Overall it was ok in my opinion.

Rating: I’d give this book a 3 star rating out of 5 stars. I’m glad I check it out. My son might like it when he’s a little older.

• 3 months later...

What's really interesting/sad is the torturous life of the author, Mary Shelly. By the time she was 25 years old, three of her four children died and her husband drowned. She was treated for severe mental illness and ultimately she died of a brain tumor.

She wrote Frankenstein after the death of her first daughter (premie). She would reportedly dream that her baby didn't actually die -- she was only cold, and rubbing the baby brought her back to life. This was the supposed inspiration for Frankenstein. Heartbreaking.

I agree Delanie. It was interesting enough but not one for my child yet. He'll get there.

===

Awww, I didn't know all that CTS. :( That is very sad. I thought she went on a trip and wrote this scary story to share on that trip. I thought they sat around and it was shared.

• 1 year later...

After years of knowing that this book existed, I was at the library a few weeks ago and saw this one on audiobook. And since I have never actually read it, and it was October, and I needed something to listen to during my commute, I checked it out.

As common as the Frankenstein monster is in pop culture, I had never really known the real story Mary Shelley wrote. I found the story quite compelling. I could never decide if I was for or against Frankenstein. The same goes for the monster -- was he a good guy that was just misunderstood or a devil? And the tragic nature of the ending kind of leaves the question of which was the good guy and which was the bad guy (if either) unanswered.