• God the Son
    • God the Holy Spirit
    • All members of the godhead are Almighty god
    • Other (please explain)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IF Jesus is not Almighty God, because the Father is, then can we say that the Father is not The Mighty God, because Jesus is?

6 For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counsellor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. (Isaiah 9:6, NIV - UK edition)

Notice the term "mighty" is used, not "almighty". Keep this verse in mind:

John 14:28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

Guest saintish

Respectfully, wouldn't there then be no Godhead "to operate" until all members progressed to become fully almighty? Who then was the Almighty God before that happened?

hmmm, good point Im not entirely sure how the mechanics of that work.

The Father is Almighty and as he brings others into a relationship with him, they receive his divine abilities. Thus, even though Jesus and Holy Ghost were/are not fully divine and exalted, they were still fully Almighty because the Father imparted his fullness to them.

So it happens with us. We receive of the Holy Ghost, then later of Christ, as we become perfected. Finally, we will receive the fullness of the Father. It isn't something we earn, it is a gift.

Notice the term "mighty" is used, not "almighty". Keep this verse in mind:

John 14:28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

I know that...but I don't believe there are two capital-G Gods. Add an "s" and they all go small-case. Further, I take Jesus' statement to heart. The Son, being a dutiful child, honors his Father. Ironically, the Father returns the favor, commanding the angels to worship the Son. He also addresses his Son as "O God..." (See Hebrews 1:6, 8)

The Father is Almighty and as he brings others into a relationship with him, they receive his divine abilities. Thus, even though Jesus and Holy Ghost were/are not fully divine and exalted, they were still fully Almighty because the Father imparted his fullness to them.

Ram

Do you have scripture for this claim?

How can Jesus and the Holy Spirit be "fully Almighty" without being fully divine?

Guest saintish

found this on LDS.ORG I Have a Question - Ensign Dec. 1989

pardon the length but i thought it was a good explanation of the relationship between the members of the godhead.

Why did Isaiah write that the Lord said “Beside me there is no God” and “There is none beside me” (Isa. 44:6; Isa. 45:21) when there are three personages in the Godhead?

03246_000_021

Keith L. Sellers, visiting professor of ancient scripture, Brigham Young University, and Victor G. Forsnes, professor of engineering, Ricks College. To better understand the Lord’s words in Isaiah 44 and 45, we must first identify who is speaking. The passage indicates that it is “the king of Israel,” the “Lord of Hosts” (Isa. 44:6)—“a just God and a Saviour” (Isa. 45:21). This is the God of the Old Testament, the Great I Am—Jehovah.

Through Latter-day scripture, we know that Jehovah was the premortal name for Jesus Christ. “Behold,” Jesus told the Nephites, “I am he that gave the law, and I am he who covenanted with my people Israel.” (3 Ne. 15:5; see also D&C 38:1–4.)

Jehovah, or Jesus Christ, is known by many other names. One of these is the Son, meaning the Son of God the Father. (See 1 Ne. 11:18–21.) In 1916, the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve explained that “Jesus Christ is the Son of Elohim both as spiritual and bodily offspring; that is to say, Elohim is literally the Father of the spirit of Jesus Christ and also of the body in which Jesus Christ performed His mission in the flesh.”

They went on to declare that because of this unique relationship with God the Father, “Jesus the Son has represented and yet represents Elohim His Father in power and authority. This is true of Christ in His preexistent, antemortal, or unembodied state, in the which He was known as Jehovah,” as well as in mortality and today in his resurrected state. “The Father placed His name upon the Son,” the First Presidency and Quorum of Twelve continued, “and Jesus Christ spoke and ministered in and through the Father’s name; and so far as power, authority and Godship are concerned His words and acts were and are those of the Father.” (In James R. Clark, comp., Messages of the First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 6 vols. (Salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1965–75), 5:27, 31–32.)

Invested with this kind of authority, Jehovah can rightly speak to Israel as though he were the Father in matters involving their learning, understanding, and salvation. He was thus invested with the power of the Father in creating the earth and in his role as the Messiah—the Christ, the Anointed One—in performing the infinite and eternal atonement. He embodies the fulness of the Father’s power, and in his role as the Mediator speaks and acts for the Father.

Jehovah also speaks properly and authoritatively as the Father in his role as (1) the Creator—the Father of the heavens and the earth—and (2) the Father of all who accept the gospel covenant and take upon themselves his name, whereby they are “born again” as his sons and daughters and adopted into his family. (See Messages of the First Presidency, 5:26–34.)

Keeping in mind, then, that though the Father and the Son are separate beings, the Son, by divine investiture of authority, can speak as though he were God the Father—and, in fact, in certain of his roles is a Father—let us look at Isaiah 44:6 [isa. 44:6] and Isa. 45:21.

One way to examine these passages of scripture is to examine other scriptures on the same topic. One of the passages relevant to this topic is Exodus 20:3–5, part of the Ten Commandments, in which the Lord states that Israel should have no other gods before him and that he is “a jealous god.” In other words, Jehovah possesses deep and sensitive feelings for his covenant people and is greatly interested in their welfare. In return, he requires their faithful obedience; their hearts should be set on no other object of worship than on him. [Ex. 20:3–5]

This concept is expressed beautifully in Deuteronomy 6:4–5, where we read: “Hear, O Israel; The Lord [Jehovah] our God is one Lord:The Lord [Jehovah] our God is one Lord:

“And thou shalt love the Lord thy God will all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.” [Deut. 6:4–5]

The original five Hebrew words of Deuteronomy 6:4 translate into English as “Yahweh, our God, Yahweh, One.” The word one (as distinguished from many) is used to communicate to Israel that Jehovah is the God of their salvation and that he should be the sole object of their reverence, worship, and obedience.

Taken in context, these scriptures all teach covenant Israel that Jehovah (Jesus Christ) is sovereign as far as eternal salvation is concerned. No other being exists by whom Israel or the rest of the world can gain salvation.

The key issue here is Israel’s recurrent temptation to worship false gods. Moses and other prophets of ancient Israel had declared to the people that Jehovah was the only true and living god. In that day, however, as in other periods of history, each region had its local deities, and it was customary to honor each one with idols, shrines, and rites. The Israelites often succumbed to the temptation to participate in these rites—to their own spiritual harm and to their detriment as a covenant people.

Isaiah 44 and 45 make it clear that it is both foolish and wrong for Israel to “set up the wood of [a] graven image, and pray unto a god that cannot save.” (Isa. 45:20.) Such a god could neither protect them physically nor bless and redeem them spiritually. Only Jehovah could and can do that. The only God for Israel is Jehovah. Israel is his peculiar people; they belong to him by covenant and have a special mission. To fulfill that mission, the children of Israel, then and now, need to worship the God of Israel with all their hearts, minds, and strength. (See Matt. 22:37; D&C 59:5.)

The God of Israel is Jehovah. He speaks for and by the power of the Father. With the Holy Ghost, these two divine beings constitute the Godhead—the only true object of worship for mankind. “Our Godhead consists of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost,” Elder Bruce R. McConkie wrote. “They are supreme over all, and though they administer their kingdoms through a hierarchy of appointed angels … , in the ultimate sense these members of the eternal Godhead are the only Gods with whom we have to do. We worship the Father, in the name of the Son, by the power of the Holy Ghost. We follow the Son as he follows his Father. We labor and strive to be like the Son as he is like the Father, and the Father and Son and Holy Ghost are one. For these holy Beings we have unbounded love, reverence, and worship.” (The Promised Messiah, Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1978, p. 13.)

saintish

“And thou shalt love the Lord thy God will all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.” [Deut. 6:4–5]

The original five Hebrew words of Deuteronomy 6:4 translate into English as “Yahweh, our God, Yahweh, One.” The word one (as distinguished from many) is used to communicate to Israel that Jehovah is the God of their salvation and that he should be the sole object of their reverence, worship, and obedience.

Hello Santish

May I offer;

According to this then Jesus is "the Lord thy God" the sole object of worship.

Except Jesus said differently; (John 4:23) But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him. 24 God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”

The key issue here is Israel’s recurrent temptation to worship false gods. Moses and other prophets of ancient Israel had declared to the people that Jehovah was the only true and living god. In that day, however, as in other periods of history, each region had its local deities, and it was customary to honor each one with idols, shrines, and rites. The Israelites often succumbed to the temptation to participate in these rites—to their own spiritual harm and to their detriment as a covenant people.

I believe Paul speaks likewise to those in Corinth (1 Cor. 8:4) yet says; (verse 6) yet for us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we for Him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and through whom we live.

If Isaiah 43:10, 44:6-8 etc. etc. in LDS teaching, is saying that Jehovah/Jesus is the only true and living God for the Israelites, why does Paul say it's the Father AND Jesus?

Also what of Christ's words in John 17:3? "And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent".

In the NT Jesus seems to not cease speaking of the Father yet in Isaiah and elsewhere He makes no mention of His Father:o doesn't that seem odd?

Elder Bruce R. McConkie wrote. “They are supreme over all, and though they administer their kingdoms through a hierarchy of appointed angels … , in the ultimate sense these members of the eternal Godhead are the only Gods with whom we have to do.

Maybe I misunderstand but if the Israelites God was Jehovah only, and no other, why now are 3 gods required?

Respectfully, the doctine of the Trinity is the biblical "explanation of the relationship between the members of the Godhead".

1 Timothy 6:15 which He will manifest in His own time, He who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings and Lord of lords, 16 who alone has immortality, dwelling in unapproachable light, whom no man has seen or can see, to whom be honor and everlasting power. Amen.

Thanks

Guest saintish

My only answer is that Christ in his role of representing the father before his mortal ministry, is referring to himself as the public representative of the godhead as the one and true living god. perhaps it was too difficult for the children of israel to understand the concept of a godhead, as it seems to be the case even now.

Define Almighty...

Could we look at it as to whom among them holds the Keys?:cool:

I know that Jesus holds specific keys and that He give many to his prophets

but from whom does He receive His Keys from?

Edited by JohnnyRudick
After thought:-)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

As a Christian - or what some of you might call an Evangelical, I'd like to turn our attention first to Revelation 1:17-18> "Then he placed his right hand on me and said: “Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. I am the Living One; I was dead, and now look, I am alive for ever and ever!".

Is there any doubt that it is Jesus who is quoted here by John?

Revelation 4:8-11> Day and night they never stop saying: “‘Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come.”

Whenever the living creatures give glory, honor and thanks to him who sits on the throne and who lives for ever and ever, the twenty-four elders fall down before him who sits on the throne and worship him who lives for ever and ever. They lay their crowns before the throne and say:

“You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being.”

John 1:1-3 says: In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him ALL THINGS WERE MADE; without him nothing was made that has been made.

JESUS is the Word, and it says that JESUS made all things. And in Revelation 4 we learned that the One who created all things - is called the Lord God Almighty - and it is HE who sits on the throne - and here Jesus receives worship.

Revelation 1:7-8 > Look, he is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him, even those who pierced him”; and all peoples on earth will mourn because of him. So shall it be! Amen. “I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty.”

Here in Revelation 1:7-8, it all comes together: Jesus Christ IS God Almighty.