who is almighty god?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. who is almighty god?

• God the Father
    • God the Son
    • God the Holy Spirit
    • All members of the godhead are Almighty god
    • Other (please explain)

Anatess...I get what you are saying. However, I never really thought of Almighty God as being a titular reference. God is a title all three persons can bear--almighty is descriptive of God, since there is only one, it all gets capitalized. Nevertheless, on reflection, It does seem true that in nearly every case i can recall in which someone mentions Almighty God, it is the Father that first comes to mind.

It gets capitalized because it is a Title. Just like God is capitalized because it is a title - as opposed to god. Almighty being captitalized is also used as a title. A description of God doesn't need to be capitilized.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It gets capitalized because it is a Title. Just like God is capitalized because it is a title - as opposed to god. Almighty being captitalized is also used as a title. A description of God doesn't need to be capitilized.

I think the best example to give is when trinitarians refer to Jesus Christ as God and the Holy Ghost as God they capitalize the "G" even though Jesus/Yahweh is the name of the savior.

I think the best example to give is when trinitarians refer to Jesus Christ as God and the Holy Ghost as God they capitalize the "G" even though Jesus/Yahweh is the name of the savior.

???

LDS does too?

:confused:

God is capitalized when you refer to any person in the Godhead.

I'm referring to when they say it in the trinity sense.

I don't understand what you're saying... why is it not supposed to be capital when they're referring to the other persons?

Since when did I say something isn't supposed to be capitalized? :confused:

I'm misunderstanding that first statement above. I reread it 5 more times and I still can't quite grasp what you were trying to say. Help? Sorry!

I'm misunderstanding that first statement above. I reread it 5 more times and I still can't quite grasp what you were trying to say. Help? Sorry!

I was referring to "God" being a title. The best example to give as to how God is a title is simply Jesus Christ's/Yahweh's name. When saying Jesus is our Lord our God, the "Lord" and "God" are capitalized because they're titles while the "J", "C", and "Y", in Yahweh, are capitalized because they're his name.

I was referring to "God" being a title. The best example to give as to how God is a title is simply Jesus Christ's/Yahweh's name. When saying Jesus is our Lord our God, the "Lord" and "God" are capitalized because they're titles while the "J", "C", and "Y", in Yahweh, are capitalized because they're his name.

Oh! Okay, I get you now! Yeah, you're right about that.

Brain freeze...

Merriam-webster says it means this:

1 Al·mighty : having complete power

â–ª Almighty God = God Almighty

2 always used before a noun : having a great deal of power or importance

Well if that's the definition we're going with then I would venture to guess that the title applies to all three.

Unless...

Because of the fact that The Holy Ghost lacks a physical body and therefore might possibly lack a certain power that The Father and/or Son possess (eternal procreation?, mediation?), and whereas The Father and Son have physical bodies of flesh and bone and might lack a power that The Holy Ghost is in possession of (influencing/comforting/warning our spirits, testifying of the truth [i.e. by the power of The Holy Ghost]), then it (The Godhead) might be like a modern passenger jet that HAS to have at least two crew members in order to operate because that is what it is certified for.

In other words; maybe a "Godhead" has to have three members in order to operate, and all three get the title "Almighty God" like pilots are "crew" and there are sub-titles to their positions. Captain; Makes the decisions, delegates, and has the final authority. (The Father) First Officer. (The Son), and the Flight Engineer (Holy Ghost).

Just a guess.

I just asked someone else I trust, and got an "other" response: "Almighty God" refers to the Godhead--the Trinity--not to individual members, apart from the Godhead. I just throw this out as a thought.

Although that's a well and good theory, which was in fact what I thought before, the fact that the Holy Ghost is never referred to as "Almighty" is why I don't believe it's referencing the Godhead as a whole.

Although that's a well and good theory, which was in fact what I thought before, the fact that the Holy Ghost is never referred to as "Almighty" is why I don't believe it's referencing the Godhead as a whole.

Job 33:4 The Spirit of God has made me,

And the breath of the Almighty gives me life.

The one Almighty Tri-une God is the Creator/Life-Giver. Gen. 1:1-2. Job 33:4. John 1:3.

The one Almighty Tri-une God is "All knowing" (1 John 3:20. Father)(John 16:30. Son)(1 Cor. 2:10-11 Holy Spirit)

Edited by Soninme

Ancient belief shows that Almighty God (El Elyon) was the head God of the divine council of old. Jehovah/Yahweh was one of his divine sons.

Rev 1:8 I am Alpha and Omega, (Jesus) the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

How can there be more than 1 Almighty?

The Father Almighty; Gen 14:19 "He blessed him and said,

"Blessed be Abram of God Most High, Possessor of heaven and earth"

The Son Almighty; Rev. 1:8 "I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty."

Rev. 4:8 And the four living creatures, each one of them having six wings, are full of eyes around and within; and day and night they do not cease to say, "HOLY, HOLY, HOLY is THE LORD GOD, THE ALMIGHTY, WHO WAS AND WHO IS AND WHO IS TO COME."

See also (2 Nephi 9:46) (3 Nephi 9:18)

The Holy Spirit Almighty; Job 33:4 "The Spirit of God has made me, and the breath of the Almighty gives me life.

Yet there are not three Almighties but one Almighty; 1 Timothy 6:15 "He who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords"

1 Timothy 1:17

Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Soninme,

Once again you are using eisegesis in your statements. It is YOUR interpretation that includes the "there are not three Almighties, but one Almighty." Perhaps you would do well to read what current scholars of the Bible say regarding such things, rather than just continuing on your personal interpretation.

Once again you are using eisegesis in your statements. It is YOUR interpretation that includes the "there are not three Almighties, but one Almighty."

That could be^_^ or... maaaybeee, I just quoted scripture that says there are 3 Persons called the one Almighty God.

Again I ask; how can there be more than 1 Almighty God?

How do "current scholars of the Bible" interpret those verses?

D&C 20:21

21 Wherefore, the Almighty God gave his Only Begotten Son, as it is written in those scriptures which have been given of him.

Because we believe that this revelation to Joseph Smith was direct from Jesus Christ, it becomes clear that we believe that Almighty God is God the Father.

Guest saintish

Well if that's the definition we're going with then I would venture to guess that the title applies to all three.

Unless...

Because of the fact that The Holy Ghost lacks a physical body and therefore might possibly lack a certain power that The Father and/or Son possess (eternal procreation?, mediation?), and whereas The Father and Son have physical bodies of flesh and bone and might lack a power that The Holy Ghost is in possession of (influencing/comforting/warning our spirits, testifying of the truth [i.e. by the power of The Holy Ghost]), then it (The Godhead) might be like a modern passenger jet that HAS to have at least two crew members in order to operate because that is what it is certified for.

In other words; maybe a "Godhead" has to have three members in order to operate, and all three get the title "Almighty God" like pilots are "crew" and there are sub-titles to their positions. Captain; Makes the decisions, delegates, and has the final authority. (The Father) First Officer. (The Son), and the Flight Engineer (Holy Ghost).

Just a guess.

i really like this explanation.

IF Jesus is not Almighty God, because the Father is, then can we say that the Father is not The Mighty God, because Jesus is?

6 For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counsellor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. (Isaiah 9:6, NIV - UK edition)

Edited by prisonchaplain

skippy740 D&C 20:21

Quote:

21 Wherefore, the Almighty God gave his Only Begotten Son, as it is written in those scriptures which have been given of him.

Because we believe that this revelation to Joseph Smith was direct from Jesus Christ, it becomes clear that we believe that Almighty God is God the Father.

Skippy

But weren't Rev. 1:8 and Rev. 21:6 and 22:13 direct quotes of Jesus Christ also? What about 2 Nephi 9:46 and 3 Nephi 9:18?

Just a guess.

i really like this explanation.

Respectfully, wouldn't there then be no Godhead "to operate" until all members progressed to become fully almighty? Who then was the Almighty God before that happened?

IF Jesus is not Almighty God, because the Father is, then can we say that the Father is not The Mighty God, because Jesus is?

6 For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counsellor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. (Isaiah 9:6, NIV - UK edition)

Only if the title of "Mighty God" is an exclusive one.

Ancient Jews (and Christians) believed that there is a pantheon in heaven, known as the divine council. El Elyon (God Almighty) is the head of the divine council. Yahweh, or Jesus Christ, was one of the divine sons. He eventually rose above the other divine beings to become the Messiah and God of all the earth. Job 1 shows where some of the divine sons of El, including Satan (literally "Adversary", not necessarily the devil) came to challenge Yahweh for primacy over Israel.

However, since El Elyon does all things through Christ here on earth (including creating it, see Hebrews 1:1), then it is possible that Christ could also be considered the Almighty, since he shares power with the Father in the Godhead.