On 5/10/2018 at 9:46 AM, john4truth said:

There are conditions that must be monitored, Child Molestation is never completely cured. Divorce is not a mental illness

I disbelieve this on principle. Christ can heal all things. That must include the soul of someone guilty of child molestation, and probably even the bare desires of pedophilia.

8 minutes ago, Vort said:

Yes, I was just messing around, trying to be funny. Don't know if I succeeded for anyone else, but I succeeded for myself. :)

I found it amusing.

In honor of French words we Americans stole and abuse, later today I will make some old rotten potatoes.

Edited by zil
For those who don't know, "au" is French for "old" and "gratin" is French for "rotten".

11 minutes ago, zil said:

FYI, the dictionary has given up on us understanding the finer points of words adopted from French and now considers "divorcee" to just be a divorced person, rather than divorced woman.  I know, sad state of affairs.  Hopefully, the world will end soon.

Doesn't that just beg the question: How long does a word or phrase have to be (mis)used before the dictionary will finally yield and accept the popular definition?

15 minutes ago, mordorbund said:

Doesn't that just beg the question: How long does a word or phrase have to be (mis)used before the dictionary will finally yield and accept the popular definition?

Shall we devise an experiment?  And see how long before "old rotten potatoes" is added to the dictionary?

Just now, zil said:

Shall we devise an experiment?  And see how long before "old rotten potatoes" is added to the dictionary?

I look forward to the day when children will say (to the food-replication device), "Why are they called old rotten potatoes?" and the food replicator machine will reply, "I'm sorry, the origin of this name is unknown."

On 5/9/2011 at 5:20 PM, Canuck Mormon said:

Whew, At least another year before I can be considered for a Bishop.

After my 5 year anniversary, time to go inactive again!!!!!! :P😛

Or just push for a requirement stating that bishops must have souls.  Then all of Canada will be safe.

On 12/11/2013 at 1:01 PM, Vort said:

"...I, the Lord, remember [the sins] no more..."

I don't know the answer, but I doubt it's simple.

I remember Wednesday's breakfast no more, but I could go dig up the receipt and see what it was if it becomes an issue later.  Pretty sure God has a better filing system than my pile of pocket litter that hasn't yet been tossed because I'm too lazy to go through it and see what needs to be kept.

On 5/10/2018 at 12:44 PM, john4truth said:

A church psychologist says in the Church it can be worse for a worthy spouse than death of a spouse.

Not just in the Church; if she's dead, the courts are supposed to presume your innocence until they can prove your guilt, too.

4 hours ago, zil said:

I found it amusing.

In honor of French words we Americans stole and abuse, later today I will make some old rotten potatoes.

Although that is an awesome etymology, I believe au gratin just means "grated".

10 minutes ago, Vort said:

Although that is an awesome etymology, I believe au gratin just means "grated".

Quit ruining my fun!  My old rotten potatoes were yummy.  I have two more servings left and now you can't have any1! :P

1You should probably be glad.  They'd be old and rotten by the time USPS got them to you.

7 hours ago, zil said:

FYI, the dictionary has given up on us understanding the finer points of words adopted from French and now considers "divorcee" to just be a divorced person, rather than divorced woman.  I know, sad state of affairs.  Hopefully, the world will end soon.

You are disputing Elder Ballard 

1 minute ago, john4truth said:

You are disputing Elder Ballard 

Dude, you're not reading.  I'm not disputing Elder Ballard.  Some of us are having fun with a French word which, in French, only applies to women, but in English can, alas, refer to a man or a woman.  You are so obsessed with something that you aren't breathing long enough to slow down and read and understand that we're having fun with a word.

No one here is arguing with you about whether a divorced man can become a bishop.

NOTE: If you're claiming that Elder Ballard contends that the dictionary hasn't given up on us, then please provide a source (but I'm pretty sure he didn't say that, and that you're quoting the wrong thing, but intended to quote me pointing out that @Vort was having fun with a French word - and yet your response makes it clear that you didn't read what either of us wrote).

12 hours ago, zil said:

Dude, you're not reading.  I'm not disputing Elder Ballard.  Some of us are having fun with a French word which, in French, only applies to women, but in English can, alas, refer to a man or a woman.  You are so obsessed with something that you aren't breathing long enough to slow down and read and understand that we're having fun with a word.

No one here is arguing with you about whether a divorced man can become a bishop.

NOTE: If you're claiming that Elder Ballard contends that the dictionary hasn't given up on us, then please provide a source (but I'm pretty sure he didn't say that, and that you're quoting the wrong thing, but intended to quote me pointing out that @Vort was having fun with a French word - and yet your response makes it clear that you didn't read what either of us wrote).

I don't know if it is recorded he said it in Houston about 5 years ago with about 300 Stake Presidencies and Bishops present, from the pulpit the truth is what it is

20 hours ago, Vort said:

Not so. In the history of the restoration of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and in fact in the history of the Lord's kingdom, there never has been and never will be a divorcée bishop. It cannot happen, because of the nature of Priesthood and women.

EDIT: @zil preempted me. :)

LOL

17 minutes ago, john4truth said:

How many Mormons does it take to change a light bulb.............................................It's a secret

Hmm.  We could have fun with that...

At least two adults of the same gender (or who are married to each other); unless a non-member is present and the adults are missionaries of the opposite gender (from the investigator), in which case, three adults of the same gender (as each other).

One to conduct, one for the opening prayer, one to play the organ, one to conduct the singing, someone to change the light bulb, someone to say the closing prayer.

It's up to the committee?

One to change the light bulb and two witnesses (all Melchizedek Priesthood holders, of course)?

On 5/11/2018 at 9:17 PM, zil said:

This thing didn't post correctly