American Moses

just_girl

Okay, so when I first started coming around the LDS church (like, you know, a month ago) I was talking to the husband of our RS president and after hearing some of what I was struggling with, he suggested I read the book American Moses.

I fully intend to order it as soon as I'm able, but I was curious as to if anyone had read it and what they thought...

He suggested this book after I described how I felt that Brigham Young was really portrayed as a villian to me growing up and that, while I cannot deny what I feel the Spirit leading me to and drawing me to, I need to educate myself about the other side of the story, so to speak. It wasn't enough of a problem that it caused me to not get baptized, but I still feel like I need to deal with it in some way.

So... anyone have anything to share??

I read Brigham Young: American Moses the other year. :) I don't remember as many of the details as I'd like, but I do think that Leonard Arrington presented a mostly balanced (maybe with a slight positive slant, which I can't say I fault) and well-informed picture of Brigham Young. It was a very good read, and I look forward to going back to it someday.

Brigham Young was an enigma, living during very enigmatic times. He made some very stupid decisions and said some very stupid things on occasion. But when you consider those things along with all the good and amazing things he did, it balances out for the better.

He had to deal with a dead Prophet. He had to lead thousands of people out of a war zone and into a land that was still run by Indians. He had to give up 500 men to the American army's war against Mexico, meaning women were running many of the wagon trains alone. Later, he had to deal with drought, locusts, Indians, California-bound 49-ers, and the American army. He had to find ways to help this small clan survive in some of the harshest land in America. He had to build temples, even as the people struggled to feed their own families. I could go on with more details, but you get the picture.

On the other side of things, he made bad choices: denying blacks the priesthood, stirring up Mormons so that some committed the atrocities at Mountain Meadows, speculating on some now discarded teachings, etc.

Clearly they were very difficult times and as a prophet and man, he attempted to deal with them as best he could. And in most things, he dealt admirably. Such as when hearing about the stranded Willie and Martin handcart companies, he immediately canceled General Conference and ensured wagons were en route to save them by the very next day.

His obstinate nature built up the West, creating hundreds of LDS settlements from Canada down to Mexico, from Colorado to California. Without such a strong person, the Church could have possibly collapsed from all the things trying to destroy it.