Black Elk Speaks: Being the Life Story of a Holy Man of the Oglala Sioux John G. Neihardt

Dr T

Black Elk Speaks: Being the Life Story of a Holy Man of the Oglala Sioux, The Premier Edition John G. Neihardt

Why I picked up this book: Somebody I know brought this book into clinic and asked me to read it.

Why I finished this book: When I began reading this book there was a lot of mysticism that I tried to appreciate but my memory of my own interactions with another medicine man tried to obscure my reading. I kept reading and discovered very interesting experiences of this Ogalala Soiux man with such things as buffalo hunt, spending time at a White man’s military camp, time at war, and others that I really got into. It was fun to hear this man’s perspective and wanted to see what else he would share with me.

Thoughts: I’m glad I read this book. I’m glad I got his perspective of the world and how things changed for him and even though I did not understand all of it (the spiritualism) I really enjoyed spending the time in this book.

Rating: I’d give it a 4 out of 5 star rating because I appreciate the various aspects on this Native American as he recounted different situations as he grew up.